100% new to Low Carb

Options

Replies

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    -Your body needs protein, aim for 30-40%, but it is not a fuel source. For fuel source, your body needs either fat or carbs. If you are lowering carbs, you must increase the fat. Basically, make sure every meal you eat has fat in it. If you bake chicken, add a fatty sauce or cheese, or go for the fattier thigh rather than the breast.
    -I personally do not drink milk, but I have made sure my family drinks whole milk because "fat is your friend!" LOL!
    -So, what's your beef with pork rinds? They make for some tasty "bread" crumbs, "crackers" with cheese, or maybe to sop up the yolk if you like sunny side up eggs. ;)
    - here is a website that is easy to understand http://realmealrevolution.com/
    - or this one http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Forget everything about low fat. Fat is your new friend , it keeps you feeling full, my new breakfast is full fat natural yogurt with double cream and peanut or almond butter. Don't grill, fry or bake - enjoy buttery scrambled eggs with cheese. It's a new way of life. Add me as a friend if you like I'm in the UK.
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Should have said fry or bake/roast instead

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    -Your body needs protein, aim for 30-40%, but it is not a fuel source. For fuel source, your body needs either fat or carbs. If you are lowering carbs, you must increase the fat. Basically, make sure every meal you eat has fat in it. If you bake chicken, add a fatty sauce or cheese, or go for the fattier thigh rather than the breast.
    -I personally do not drink milk, but I have made sure my family drinks whole milk because "fat is your friend!" LOL!
    -So, what's your beef with pork rinds? They make for some tasty "bread" crumbs, "crackers" with cheese, or maybe to sop up the yolk if you like sunny side up eggs. ;)
    - here is a website that is easy to understand http://realmealrevolution.com/

30-40% protein seems rather high, even for Banting. Even other Banting sources are in the 20% range. Perhaps you're getting that number from the Optimal Ketogenic Living method? That seems high even for them, though.

Generally speaking, protein typically falls in the 20-30% range. Even @FIT_Goat, who eats only meat, falls into that range.
  • JessikaJacobs87
    JessikaJacobs87 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Ok, another question. When we work out we get carbs and all that other stuff back, do you eat it all back, personally for you, or do you not? I just recalculated my diet and I am not sure how I am only going to eat 21g of carbs, 143g of fat, and 86g of protein. I think I just need to go out grocery shopping for more options lol.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ok, another question. When we work out we get carbs and all that other stuff back, do you eat it all back, personally for you, or do you not?

No. MFP just dumbly allocates your increase in calorie allowance across all macros. You want to mostly focus on grams for carbs and proteins, not percentages, so ignore their increases in those macros.

Personally, I only eat back calories if I'm hungry, which I usually am after exercise.

Oh, and welcome to the group. :)

• JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    No. MFP just dumbly allocates your increase in calorie allowance across all macros. You want to mostly focus on grams for carbs and proteins, not percentages, so ignore their increases in those macros.Personally, I only eat back calories if I'm hungry, which I usually am after exercise.

Ok, So I just eat the daily allotment that I get at the beginning of the day, but if I go over in fats (from the food diary's I have seen) it's not that big of a deal, as well as going slightly over in protein and carbs if you have had exercise,right? And thanks! Sorry for all the questions, just some things are a little unclear sometimes, or just not mentioned at all.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Ok, another question. When we work out we get carbs and all that other stuff back, do you eat it all back, personally for you, or do you not?

No. MFP just dumbly allocates your increase in calorie allowance across all macros. You want to mostly focus on grams for carbs and proteins, not percentages, so ignore their increases in those macros.

Personally, I only eat back calories if I'm hungry, which I usually am after exercise.

Yes, so basically when you set your carbs, that is a hard limit. Protein is a range goal. And you eat fats until feeling full. But those carb numbers? You could work on the elliptical for 2 hours and not get any more carbs back. MFP says they are friendly to all ways of eating, but they need to add far more diary functionality for that to be true!
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

30-40% protein seems rather high, even for Banting. Even other Banting sources are in the 20% range. Perhaps you're getting that number from the Optimal Ketogenic Living method? That seems high even for them, though.

Generally speaking, protein typically falls in the 20-30% range. Even @FIT_Goat, who eats only meat, falls into that range.[/quote]

You are right, I was mistaken. I was thinking of what my plate looks like.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Ok, So I just eat the daily allotment that I get at the beginning of the day, but if I go over in fats (from the food diary's I have seen) it's not that big of a deal, as well as going slightly over in protein and carbs if you have had exercise,right? And thanks! Sorry for all the questions, just some things are a little unclear sometimes, or just not mentioned at all.

You got it, but don't over-think it or sweat too many details.

The secret sauce of low-carb is that it makes you less hungry. For the most part, you will be eating to satisfy your hunger and you'll find yourself effortlessly staying under your reasonable calorie goal.

Exercise should be for health, not for weight loss. In fact, it can get in the way of weight loss sometimes.

Carbs are a function of your personal goals. If you just cut out processed carbs and grains, you'll have a huge improvement regardless of the actual carb level.

Protein is to maintain muscle mass. It's also GREAT for satiety. It's hard to eat too much (try it!).

Still hungry? Yummy fat, but not so yummy that you binge on it. :)
  • JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    I am giving it a go now. I am already over my cabs, but it is far less than it was yesterday. But I am making a lunch that is high in fat and protein and low in carbs. Meat is the key, I see that now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    And add fatty sauces and things to everything!! :) Plus BACON. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I love making Alfredo sauce (butter, hwc and some parmesan cheese) to put over my meat. So easy and lots of fat! You will forget about snacking between meals and may not be hungry at all. Some days I have to make myself eat to meet my macros and keep this fat burning machine running. That is something I've never had to do before!

Another tip I heard on this forum was to put hwc in the meat drippings to make a yummy sauce to put on your meat. :)
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Karlottap wrote: »
    I love making Alfredo sauce (butter, hwc and some parmesan cheese) to put over my meat. So easy and lots of fat! You will forget about snacking between meals and may not be hungry at all. Some days I have to make myself eat to meet my macros and keep this fat burning machine running. That is something I've never had to do before!

Another tip I heard on this forum was to put hwc in the meat drippings to make a yummy sauce to put on your meat. :)

I can't do that with everything. Last night I made burgers, but couldn't make myself make a sauce with the JAR WORTH OF FAT from them and my burger butter and bacon drippings I started with! LOL But the alfredo, I'm so there. I could eat it with a spoon!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I recently cooked ground beef for the first time (apart from burgers) since beginning keto. It felt so weird to not drain the fat off before adding my homemade taco seasoning. But it sure tasted better than before!

Love the sauce ideas!
  • KaysKidz
    KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    or fried chicken breast (which we "bread" with crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs).

Oh do tell. Fried chicken is one thing I've been craving. :wink:

• JessikaJacobs87
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and for the food options. Tomorrow will be better since I found all of this out after I ate my breakfast, lol. But! yesterday I ate almost 80 carbs and today I have only had 20. Thats a big improvement. And my lunch was so good and I am still full. It's great. Now, if only I could get this headache to go away I would pretty much be winning all day long. Lol
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    or fried chicken breast (which we "bread" with crushed pork rinds instead of bread crumbs).

Oh do tell. Fried chicken is one thing I've been craving. :wink:

You have to do it like oven fried chicken if you use pork rinds. They stay crispy that way. Otherwise, they turn liquid when frying. Coconut or almond flours might work here though for real frying. Google "Keto Fried Chicken" or "Keto Oven Fried Chicken" for recipes. It's a more easily recognized term for LCHF recipes... :) Feel free to adapt back to how you know is good for your way of eating.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and for the food options. Tomorrow will be better since I found all of this out after I ate my breakfast, lol. But! yesterday I ate almost 80 carbs and today I have only had 20. Thats a big improvement. And my lunch was so good and I am still full. It's great. Now, if only I could get this headache to go away I would pretty much be winning all day long. Lol

Add extra sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Those headaches are from electrolyte imbalances. Extra fats help, too.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Re-posted to hopefully help:
    Here is a pic of my last grocery shopping trip. I realized it was pretty typical keto dieter. Haha!

20150417_123726.jpg

Eggs, cheese, bacon, meat. Yes, those are a tray of bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers.
    Not pictured are the things I get from another store:
    Heavy cream
    Cream cheese
    Kerrygold butter
    Coffee
    Cacao butter
    Macadamia nut oil

I already have frozen broccoli and spinach at home in the freezer, and a shelf stable box of chicken broth in the pantry.

I hope this gives you some ideas. :)

-T.