Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Constipation and low-carb?

KaysKidz
KaysKidz Posts: 208 Member
Anyone else dealing with constipation? Best way to remedy that? In looking at my food log, I am eating less and less carbs every day, today I netted 18. I know my fiber could be better, but may have to take a fiber supplement. Will that help?

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    The only problem for me was snacking on too much hard cheese. Fiber didn't seem to matter. Cheese mattered.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    More fat!

It tends to settle out over time, but include leafy greens if you can. Drink plenty of water. Sometimes I take a "colon cleanse" pill at night, but it doesn't make a lot of difference as it is a gentle herbal treatment. Some people use senna tea occasionally.

It doesn't feel good - hopefully yours will improve!
  • KaysKidz
    More fat!
    The last 3 days, I averaged 140g of fat! But, my water consumption has been down. I will work on that. Thanks. :)

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited April 2015
    Taking magnesium citrate help moves things along too... As does having coffee in the morning, if you like it. (I've been told it could easily put Ex-Lax out of business!) Btw, any caffeine helps, but coffee has something EXTRA to help...don't recall what.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Also, your volume of solid waste will reduce as you eat more compact foods. If you are not suffering discomfort, but are going less often, this is not true constipation, but just a change in your body...
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    @Kayskidz; This seems to be a common problem and while some the remedies suggested may help, there are some people who simply can't tolerate the lack of fibre inherent in the low carb diet. While I accept that some people are happy to take some form of laxative there is the danger of becoming dependent. One of the principles of lower carb eating is to listen to our bodies. When our bodies are telling us to eat more fibre for ease of transit we would be wise to listen even at the cost of some additional carbs.
  • KnitOrMiss
    @Kayskidz; This seems to be a common problem and while some the remedies suggested may help, there are some people who simply can't tolerate the lack of fibre inherent in the low carb diet. While I accept that some people are happy to take some form of laxative there is the danger of becoming dependent. One of the principles of lower carb eating is to listen to our bodies. When our bodies are telling us to eat more fibre for ease of transit we would be wise to listen even at the cost of some additional carbs.

Absolutely what Robert said. It just helps to rule out the other stuff first. :)
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I have had chronic constipation since childhood, so I may not be the best person to answer, but adding fiber only blocks me up further, esp. in the form of psyllium husks. Coffee has never worked for me, neither has strenuous exercise, or anything else other than taking something.

I actually noticed that after becoming fat adapted, things were a little easier in that department and occurred slightly more frequently, but not like most folks who seem to go each day. Think about what your normal was before LCHF and go from there. You may need to ask the advice of a doctor on this if it doesn't improve.
  • ChairmanWow
    ChairmanWow Posts: 44 Member
    Mine has improved the longer I have been on this diet. That being said, it may be old school, but Metamucil works a treat. Within 30 minutes, you will be going the bathroom. Worked better for my wife than Miralax, which is supposed to be, like, Super Colon Blow.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    More water, less cheese usually helps me. :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Mine has improved the longer I have been on this diet. That being said, it may be old school, but Metamucil works a treat. Within 30 minutes, you will be going the bathroom. Worked better for my wife than Miralax, which is supposed to be, like, Super Colon Blow.
    Metamucil plugs me up.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    I'd second more water, i've been doing my own challenge to take in 10 glasses a day! I can see how it helps with water retention.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    I'm seldom constipated. When it happens, it's usually because:

I'm dehydrated (not enough water, drank alcohol)
    too much cheese (over 4 ounces)
    too little activity (walking helps)
    too much fiber (flax seed, coconut flour - you need to drink MORE water when you consume these things)

remedies for me:

increased water, fat and salt
    magnesium supplement (gives me a lovely, restful night's sleep!)

HTH
  • monicapavlick
    monicapavlick Posts: 18 Member
    Try doing yogi squats.
  • KaysKidz
    I had just the opposite problem before going low carb. I can't drink coffee without flavored creamer, so I just don't drink it anymore, not that I ever drank it much before. Going to work on increasing my water and see if that moves things along.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Not to be gross, but what about the other end of the spectrum...I've only been back on low carb for a little over a week, but I'm finding I'm having the opposite of constipation lately. I've heard it could be due to sweetners?
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    I am lucky if I 'go' once a week. Bought some Ducolax but although I don't feel uncomfortable I don't think it's good to have food hanging around my inside for any length of time. Stopped cheese but hasn't made any difference. May have to stop my multi vit as its got iron in it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    RisiM wrote: »
    I am lucky if I 'go' once a week. Bought some Ducolax but although I don't feel uncomfortable I don't think it's good to have food hanging around my inside for any length of time. Stopped cheese but hasn't made any difference. May have to stop my multi vit as its got iron in it.

If you're not uncomfortable, then food likely isn't "hanging around your insides." A higher portion of the food you're eating is absorbed, which means less waste. Constipation is not just "not going." It's feeling the physical need to go, but being unable to.

Fun fact - exclusively breastfed infants after 6 weeks of age can go about a week between poos, due to the efficiency with which breast milk is absorbed.
    nikoba wrote: »
    Not to be gross, but what about the other end of the spectrum...I've only been back on low carb for a little over a week, but I'm finding I'm having the opposite of constipation lately. I've heard it could be due to sweetners?

Could be sweeteners. Could also be the fat if you're not used to it, especially if the fat in question is coconut oil. Could also be too much protein and not enough fat. Hard telling without being able to see what you're eating.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    I just made my diary public...but I do have coconut oil regularly, so perhaps that and the sweetners are the culprit. I'm still getting the hang of all this again, so if you decide to glance at my diary, I'm open to any suggestions about what I'm eating as well.
  • KnitOrMiss
    nikoba wrote: »
    I just made my diary public...but I do have coconut oil regularly, so perhaps that and the sweetners are the culprit. I'm still getting the hang of all this again, so if you decide to glance at my diary, I'm open to any suggestions about what I'm eating as well.

coconut oil is the opposite of constipation, unless you have some weird reaction. It makes going a smoother process... LOL