Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Constipation and low-carb?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    nikoba wrote: »
    I just made my diary public...but I do have coconut oil regularly, so perhaps that and the sweetners are the culprit. I'm still getting the hang of all this again, so if you decide to glance at my diary, I'm open to any suggestions about what I'm eating as well.

coconut oil is the opposite of constipation, unless you have some weird reaction. It makes going a smoother process... LOL

Yeah, she asked about the opposite of constipation a few posts up.
  • parkdad73
    parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
    On a side note: Does anyone else re-weigh themselves when you finally do go to the bathroom?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    parkdad73 wrote: »
    On a side note: Does anyone else re-weigh themselves when you finally do go to the bathroom?

Reweigh?? To quote Larry the Cable Guy.... I have dumped a full pant size.... Now that there is funny...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited May 2015

Absolutely. My scale is stubborn though...it doesn't change even if it is a monster of a bathroom visit!!!

Dragonwolf wrote: »
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    nikoba wrote: »
    I just made my diary public...but I do have coconut oil regularly, so perhaps that and the sweetners are the culprit. I'm still getting the hang of all this again, so if you decide to glance at my diary, I'm open to any suggestions about what I'm eating as well.

coconut oil is the opposite of constipation, unless you have some weird reaction. It makes going a smoother process... LOL

Yeah, she asked about the opposite of constipation a few posts up.

Duh. Misread it...thought we were still on the other tack... I've never had sweeteners do that to me, but dyes, particularly RED DYE NO 40 - my **MORTAL ENEMY** will make me go like I ate a cake or something full of 20 boxes of Ex-Lax. NO LIE. Watch those dyes, and weird chemicals, too.

But especially if you aren't used to coconut oil, start slow...1-2 tsp a day. If you're adding extra coffee, too can cause this same effect (most caffeine will, but coffee is nicknamed nature's ExLax for a reason)...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member

13.jpg
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    Anyone else dealing with constipation? Best way to remedy that? In looking at my food log, I am eating less and less carbs every day, today I netted 18. I know my fiber could be better, but may have to take a fiber supplement. Will that help?

I never got constipated pre-Keto. Maybe once a year and ONLY after doing anything strenuous like working hard outside or 30 minutes or more of exercise.

Since Keto, it happens all the time. If I had to guess, its because I don't drink enough water. Or if I eat a lot of meat (and few veggies) on a particular day. I also get it if I water fast. In that case, I try to eat soft foods and lots of water 12 hours before I start the fast.

In this post, we talked about this:

Keto Constipation & Psyllium Husks

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I'm down to about once a week. I never feel constipated at all. I'm just learning a whole new me. It's weird at first, but I'm adjusting without any problems.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    I've had the same issue while on this woe. I'm ok for a few days, but if I haven't gone by day 3-4, I'm uncomfortable. The only thing that has kept things moving for me is to eat a huge (like half a head of lettuce) salad every day. If I skip it, it'll take 2-3 days again. Leafy greens are my savior! :D
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member

Me? Never! ;) I've never lost almost 1.2 lbs like that before.

Also, why was this comment marked spam?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    spush wrote: »

Me? Never! ;) I've never lost almost 1.2 lbs like that before.

Also, why was this comment marked spam?

1.2Lbs heh.

Yes, why was that marked as spam? Weird.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    The only thing that has kept things moving for me is to eat a huge (like half a head of lettuce) salad every day. If I skip it, it'll take 2-3 days again. Leafy greens are my savior! :D

lol My grandmom called it "roughage" (which I never hear anymore) but I agree; you need vegetables for regular bowel movements.
  • Dragonwolf
    edited May 2015
    The only thing that has kept things moving for me is to eat a huge (like half a head of lettuce) salad every day. If I skip it, it'll take 2-3 days again. Leafy greens are my savior! :D

lol My grandmom called it "roughage" (which I never hear anymore) but I agree; you need vegetables for regular bowel movements.

Tell that to all the people who fare better without said roughage.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member

Yeah, I agree the more fiber recommendations for people already eating it are insane in general but for the low carb community (who've never had bathroom issues before) eating more vegetables is sensible and effective, in my opinion.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    I actually had a lot more constipation before I started low carb. I think it's largely due to increased fat intake and now I use stevia in my coffee instead of sugar. I'm not sure that stevia has anything to do with it, but if not, it's awfully coincidental that I'm usually in the bathroom within an hour of drinking my coffee now.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    @SazzySuze ...that's exactly why I thought my issue may be linked to the artificial sweetner I consume.
  • mpantsari
    mpantsari Posts: 22 Member
    miralax over the counter is excellent. this is a commonly reported problem on this diet. Mag Citrate is another good suggestion. I would recommend avoiding stimulant laxatives (ex lax, senna, senekot, dulcolax, etc)
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member

Can we not accept that there are people for whom higher levels of fiber are essential?. There is no one size fits all. Each one of has to find what works for us. Some people fare well without increased fiber, others need higher levels of fiber. We are fearfully and wonderfully made and the fact that we are different makes life interesting.
  • Dragonwolf

Can we not accept that there are people for whom higher levels of fiber are essential?. There is no one size fits all. Each one of has to find what works for us. Some people fare well without increased fiber, others need higher levels of fiber. We are fearfully and wonderfully made and the fact that we are different makes life interesting.

There's a difference between accepting that people's dietary needs are individual and making blanket statements like "you need vegetables for regular bowel movements."
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    This is all new to me. I lowered my carbs starting Monday. I have colitis and need around 25 grams fiber a day. I noticed right off my fiber was under each day.
    By Wednesday I was constipated. But with my situation nutrition changes normally do this to me. I just increased my Probiotic to 2 doses versus 1 per day. It was suggested I look into Smooth Move Tea, Natural Calm Powder (raspberry), or Triphala capsules. I drink my water so I'll just stay on this and try to sort it out.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,069 Member
    It's rare for me not to go everyday. With this WOE, my frequency did slow down to maybe once every day or two instead of 2-3 times daily when I was eating a higher carb primal diet. Even with LCHF, I never go longer than 2 days before having to go again.

I did notice however that when trying the dairy free challenge, that frequency picked up somewhat again. I think that swapping out the HWC for more coconut oil with butter in my coffee, along with cutting out cheese made the difference. I also make sure that I drink lots of water and this helps.