Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Constipation and low-carb?

13»

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    The only thing that has kept things moving for me is to eat a huge (like half a head of lettuce) salad every day. If I skip it, it'll take 2-3 days again. Leafy greens are my savior! :D

lol My grandmom called it "roughage" (which I never hear anymore) but I agree; you need vegetables for regular bowel movements.

Tell that to all the people who fare better without said roughage.

Can we not accept that there are people for whom higher levels of fiber are essential?. There is no one size fits all. Each one of has to find what works for us. Some people fare well without increased fiber, others need higher levels of fiber. We are fearfully and wonderfully made and the fact that we are different makes life interesting.

There's a difference between accepting that people's dietary needs are individual and making blanket statements like "you need vegetables for regular bowel movements."

I'm sorry that my word choices came across as non-accepting to you -- that's certainly wasn't my intention. Perhaps daily instead of regular would have been a better word choice?

Either or, I'm a huge fan of low carb eating and just wanted to support Mimilucious's suggestion to eat some lettuce. Less frequent bowel movements, laxatives and supplements are all perfectly fine options as well.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    I had just the opposite problem before going low carb. I can't drink coffee without flavored creamer, so I just don't drink it anymore, not that I ever drank it much before. Going to work on increasing my water and see if that moves things along.
    Oh! If you're wanting flavored creamer, I've discovered that sugar free Torani syrup (in the coffee aisle) with a little HWC makes an AWESOME flavored creamer. I just tried it for the first time this week and very impressed.
  • SazzySuze
    SazzySuze Posts: 119 Member
    KaysKidz wrote: »
    I had just the opposite problem before going low carb. I can't drink coffee without flavored creamer, so I just don't drink it anymore, not that I ever drank it much before. Going to work on increasing my water and see if that moves things along.
    Oh! If you're wanting flavored creamer, I've discovered that sugar free Torani syrup (in the coffee aisle) with a little HWC makes an AWESOME flavored creamer. I just tried it for the first time this week and very impressed.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    @Lrdoflamancha, I will weigh again after a bathroom visit too. Biggest drop has been 1 lb. for me. We do hold some weight in our large intestine.

I don't understand the spam flag either! Just talking about normal body functions that we all have. Hmm...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    The only thing that has kept things moving for me is to eat a huge (like half a head of lettuce) salad every day. If I skip it, it'll take 2-3 days again. Leafy greens are my savior! :D

lol My grandmom called it "roughage" (which I never hear anymore) but I agree; you need vegetables for regular bowel movements.

Tell that to all the people who fare better without said roughage.

Can we not accept that there are people for whom higher levels of fiber are essential?. There is no one size fits all. Each one of has to find what works for us. Some people fare well without increased fiber, others need higher levels of fiber. We are fearfully and wonderfully made and the fact that we are different makes life interesting.

There's a difference between accepting that people's dietary needs are individual and making blanket statements like "you need vegetables for regular bowel movements."

I'm sorry that my word choices came across as non-accepting to you -- that's certainly wasn't my intention. Perhaps daily instead of regular would have been a better word choice?

Either or, I'm a huge fan of low carb eating and just wanted to support Mimilucious's suggestion to eat some lettuce. Less frequent bowel movements, laxatives and supplements are all perfectly fine options as well.

Just to comment from a woman who has had all sorts of bowel dysfunction for decades - adding in laxatives and supplements can actually stifle your body's natural workings. I have pelvic floor dysfunction, and the very first thing they tell you is to stop all forms of laxatives. Just like with regaining health and losing weight, you have to let your body's system repair, or you'll be worse off down the road.

I'm not saying that works for everyone this way, but I do know that many people who use laxatives even intermittently end up dependent on them in some cases, and that supports the medically proven statements from my pelvic floor specialty team...

Of course getting impacted bowels and all of that is miserable and no one would wish that one anyone, but from my research - it can actually take a number or weeks to work all the years of difficulties out!!

Probiotics sound like an amazing natural option - as do supplements in which you are measurably deficient.

I know this WOE has improved my bowel processes. I used to go every time I used the restroom (sometimes painfully, with straining, and sometimes straight liquid or bile), and it has cut by at least half. I first noticed this when I didn't have to buy toilet paper at home as frequently! Just with the continued PFD, it is a stress process for me 70% of the time...I would not wish for anyone to develop this EVER.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    After 4 months of LCHF my constipation has finally gone away.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    After 4 months of LCHF my constipation has finally gone away.

WIN!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Just to comment from a woman who has had all sorts of bowel dysfunction for decades - adding in laxatives and supplements can actually stifle your body's natural workings. I have pelvic floor dysfunction, and the very first thing they tell you is to stop all forms of laxatives. Just like with regaining health and losing weight, you have to let your body's system repair, or you'll be worse off down the road.

+1 from a guy who also had some form of pelvic floor dysfunction. Its a lot more common in women but its an issue men can deal with too. I wasn't taking laxitives, but I was taking glycerin suppositories after my primary care doc and urologist both told me those were safe, weren't going to hurt my system long term, form habits, make me reliant on them, etc. I would point out that every doctor/therapist i discussed it with did work hard to sway me away from laxitives outside of *very* occasional use, and once I started physical therapy I was asked to also stop the suppositories and to do a number of other things to give my body a chance to function naturally, which it eventually did.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    edited May 2015
    From someone that brought this topic up last week - all it takes apparently is to talk to the group about it. Once you open up, admit your inability to *kitten* and just become honest with yourself and the low carb group, then you will be allowed to poop. It's as though the group determines whether you're allowed to poop. Once you open up, then things will be fixed. Oh wait, and lower your dairy intake. I also added in unsweetened vanilla almond milk and voila! Regular pooper! (I get my LCHF Regular Pooper badge in the mail next week.)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Bog-Roll-Button-Badge-Choice-Of-Sizes-Funny-Cool-Toilet-Paper-264025-p[ekm]226x226[ekm].jpg