LCHF

robinred2
robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
Anyone on LCHF have negative results? I , so far, have had really good results; but wondering if there could still be problems arise.

Replies

• GetFitChristie
    GetFitChristie Posts: 14 Member
    What is LCHF?
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    LCHF is low carb high fat. I am feeling really good on it so far, plus IF, but I have only just begun (again). Surely there are others who have more experience with it here. Plus, there is a group for LCHF called LCD (Low Carb Discussion Group) on this site you could check out.
  • GetFitChristie
    Ah - I figured it was Low Carb something - just didn't get to the High Fat part... I'm assuming it's like Atkins-style then? I need to figure out what levels my Macronutrients are supposed to be.... I know I'm supposed to be less than 100 carbs per day, but I am not yet sure what the other numbers for protein and fat should be....
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    robinred2 wrote: »
    Anyone on LCHF have negative results? I , so far, have had really good results; but wondering if there could still be problems arise.

15 months on keto here with nothing negative to say about it. There are definitely others who have been doing it for much longer than me who intend for it to be a permanent thing, not just a weight loss tool. I don't know if I'll necessarily stay at keto levels forever, but low carb forever, absolutely.

The low carb group that was mentioned is here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Its a good group of people, very supportive.
  • radiii
    Ah - I figured it was Low Carb something - just didn't get to the High Fat part... I'm assuming it's like Atkins-style then? I need to figure out what levels my Macronutrients are supposed to be.... I know I'm supposed to be less than 100 carbs per day, but I am not yet sure what the other numbers for protein and fat should be....

When most people say Atkins they're talking about the "induction" phase of atkins, which is extremely strict, 20 or 25g net carbs a day or less. Keto, or a ketogenic diet, is basically staying in that phase forever which is popular. But there are other low carb variants that people have a lot of success with.

Typically, and most likely, as you are lowering carbs, even if you're not lowering them to that kind of extreme level, you want to replace those calories with fat. The amount of protein you eat on a low fat diet vs a low carb diet should probably be about the same. Low carb AND low fat isn't really a thing.

For keto, there is a calculator that is highly recommended to figure out macros:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Even though that's designed for keto, you can enter higher numbers of carbs to get an idea.

For example, for me, I'm 6'4" and currently 247 lbs.

Here's how I actually eat:
    2065 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbohydrates (4%, 80 kcal)
    120 g Protein (23%, 480 kcal)
    167 g Fat (73%, 1505 kcal)

But, I can select 100g carbs and see what changes:
    2065 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    100 g Carbohydrates (19%, 400 kcal)
    120 g Protein (23%, 480 kcal)
    132 g Fat (58%, 1185 kcal)

My protein recommendation doesn't change, find the right amount of protein for you based on your weight and activity level, and then its just a matter of finding the right carb/fat balance.
  • GetFitChristie
    Radii - thank you very much! I have been struggling to find the resources necessary to determine the protein/fat components, but I think that will help me!
  • radiii
    edited April 2015
    Radii - thank you very much! I have been struggling to find the resources necessary to determine the protein/fat components, but I think that will help me!

You're welcome, and good luck!

The same low carb group I mentioned above (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group) would be relevant for you as well. Even though the dominant group of folks there are the extremely low carb/keto/25g or less types, they are supportive of everyone who just wants to learn and figure out a new way to do things.
  • robinred2
    robinred2 Posts: 59 Member
    Was just wondering how others were doing on LCHF. If they had any negative results from being on it. I have been on it about 8 months. The first 6 months I have been able to discontinue my diabetic medicine, my prillosec that I have taken for over20 years for reflux. My Chloresterol and triglicerides are well in normal range, my blood pressure is good even though I am still on 10mg Lynsinapril. I have lost 61 pounds. The best part I feel good and feel like doing something. Life is much better.
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    robinred2 wrote: »
    Was just wondering how others were doing on LCHF. If they had any negative results from being on it. I have been on it about 8 months. The first 6 months I have been able to discontinue my diabetic medicine, my prillosec that I have taken for over20 years for reflux. My Chloresterol and triglicerides are well in normal range, my blood pressure is good even though I am still on 10mg Lynsinapril. I have lost 61 pounds. The best part I feel good and feel like doing something. Life is much better.

How did your doctor feel about your diet? Mine always gives me "the look"! I plan to see him again in May and cannot wait to see if my results speak for themselves.