2015 Race Calendars - What are you guys doing this year?

Options

Replies

• EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing Challenge Knoxville this weekend, I'm meeting for dinner with a group of racers and spouses (7 of us so far) at 6:15 Sat. at Blue Coast Grill. Send me a message off group if you're interested in joining us.
  • solieco1
    solieco1 Posts: 1,559 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    6/7 Crescent Moon Olympic
    7/19 Ironman Racine 70.3
    8/22 Toughman Utah 70.3
    10/11 Ironman Louisville 140.6 (1st full)
  • TriNoob
    TriNoob Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    For those of you doing Challenge Knoxville this weekend, I'm meeting for dinner with a group of racers and spouses (7 of us so far) at 6:15 Sat. at Blue Coast Grill. Send me a message off group if you're interested in joining us.

I have an inspiration dinner with my LLS team, otherwise I would be up for it. We actually ate there last night...good place.

Good luck tomorrow.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    Options
    Thanks for the well wishes. How'd your race go? This was my first Challenge race - very well organized and one of the nicest transition set-ups I've seen. The ground racks are nice - I've only seen these once before in another small event. Volunteer and police support was excellent. On the other hand, having multiple race distances going on simultaneously - differing speeds, courses, etc. makes the race confusing and potentially dangerous. Also, I found myself doing the last 20 miles of the bike and last 5 miles of the run more or less by myself. I've done other small long-course races that felt much less lonely due to more out-and-backs in the route. Maybe people cleared out earlier because of the rain, but the after race "party" seemed rather lackluster too. In short, just because it's a Challenge race wouldn't make it a potential destination race for me.
  • TriNoob
    Options
    Finished in 2:50:27. Goal was 2:54:00. I got hit about mile 9 with the torrential downpour that lasted about 10 minutes. Dropped my chain twice. First time on the first big hill, second time on the returning big hill.

I thought the event was well organized. I definitely didn't experience a "lonely" feeling. Of course, I did the Oly distance.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    DNF. Crashed 18 miles into the Half bike course. Bloody mess on my left elbow and a massive contusion on my left hip. Bummer because I had a PR swim going at 34 minutes, and was on a 21mph pace for the first 18 miles of the bike course. Then hit the deck on a slippery off-camber left turn.
    I finished the bike course slowly, then made an attempt at running but 200 yards into the run course I knew I was not able to really run this and went back into transition, turned in my chip.

Sucks - I was on pace aiming for a sub-5-hour half. Oh well.
  • ShawnTX
    ShawnTX Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    DNF. Crashed 18 miles into the Half bike course. Bloody mess on my left elbow and a massive contusion on my left hip. Bummer because I had a PR swim going at 34 minutes, and was on a 21mph pace for the first 18 miles of the bike course. Then hit the deck on a slippery off-camber left turn.
    I finished the bike course slowly, then made an attempt at running but 200 yards into the run course I knew I was not able to really run this and went back into transition, turned in my chip.

So sorry to hear that report! So far, I have been lucky and have never crashed, not even in training. Can't imagine the disappointment after so much prep. Hope the injuries are only superficial. You'll be back after it soon I'm sure! :smile:

• ShawnTX
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input on the Challenge races. I'll have to keep them in mind as I look to set my 2016 schedule. 2015 is all short course from here on out. It is looking like Ironman 140.6 Cozumel is going to be on the 2016 schedule. Might be my first full, unless I get crazy and schedule something else before then. :wink:
  • TriNoob
    Options

Sorry to hear. It was slippery out there with all of the rain. I think there were around 16 crashes reported...one girl ended up going over the railing on the last big descent and had to be taken to the hospital. Hope you bounce back quickly.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    ShawnTX wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the input on the Challenge races. I'll have to keep them in mind as I look to set my 2016 schedule. 2015 is all short course from here on out. It is looking like Ironman 140.6 Cozumel is going to be on the 2016 schedule. Might be my first full, unless I get crazy and schedule something else before then. :wink:

glad to know i'm not the only one already planning 2016. i told my wife i'd be interested in doing the south beach oly triathlon in April. didn't really need to twist her arm too much to go visit florida lol.
  • glevinso
    Options
    ShawnTX wrote: »

So sorry to hear that report! So far, I have been lucky and have never crashed, not even in training. Can't imagine the disappointment after so much prep. Hope the injuries are only superficial. You'll be back after it soon I'm sure! :smile:

Thanks. I am actually not too disappointed really since this wasn't an A-race for me. This really was just a preparation race for my full coming up in 6 weeks. I'll heal up quickly from this. Taking one more day off training and then it's back to it tomorrow with an easy bike ride.
  • glevinso
    Options
    TriNoob wrote: »

Sorry to hear. It was slippery out there with all of the rain. I think there were around 16 crashes reported...one girl ended up going over the railing on the last big descent and had to be taken to the hospital. Hope you bounce back quickly.

Report was that she lacerated her liver (!) somehow and was taken to the hospital. She is reportedly doing OK.
  • tri_bob
    tri_bob Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I am actually not too disappointed really since this wasn't an A-race for me. This really was just a preparation race for my full coming up in 6 weeks. I'll heal up quickly from this. Taking one more day off training and then it's back to it tomorrow with an easy bike ride.
    Even if it wasn't an A race, that's still a big bag of suck. Glad to hear you're OK. Assuming the bike is OK, too, if you're getting ready to go back out? I know that sounds like a smart-*kitten* question, but it's a concern. Carry on, man.

• glevinso
    Options
    Bike is actually perfectly fine. I fell under the bike (I will heal, carbon fiber doesn't!). Regardless I can't ride that bike until my elbow heals up (my injury is right where I rest on the elbow pads). I'll head out on my road bike for the next few days until the holes in my arm go away.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    edited May 2015
    Options
    DNF. Crashed 18 miles into the Half bike course.
    So sorry to hear. How are you feeling 2 days out? My swim was typical with the goal of having the energy for a strong bike and run. I crashed coming out of transition 2 years ago - big divot in my left elbow that took weeks to heal and bruises/scrapes on the left side of everything except fortunately my head. I viewed it as a wake-up call that cycling accidents really can kill you. This ride was cautiously slow. My run was awesome until I started to turn around just after the 6 mi rest stop. A volunteer pointed out the real turn was just up the road and the error (as well as too few 10-12 mi training runs) made me lose my mojo. Overall, slightly over 7 hrs. Given my training and the weather, I'm content but not thrilled with my performance. One more thought on cycling injuries - Spenco AquaHeal bandages are awesome for injuries on joints - wounds don't get crusty and re-open. Suture strips are also helpful on anything that looks like it might need stitches. I bought both from Amazon, but REI sells them too. Drugstores sell big waterproof bandage covers to slap over the Aquaheal so you can swim. Be well.
  • glevinso
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I am feeling OK today. I am moving pretty well, the swelling from the bruise on my left hip is coming down nicely - it just looks ugly. Only seem to have two actual wounds on my elbow that are getting to the point where I might be able to leave them open to the air (they are starting to itch/sting). The worst of it really is how sore all my various stabilizer muscles are. I learned to take hard falls during 20+ years practicing martial arts, so I fell instinctively and thus only had two points of contact with the ground, neither in bad places. But in doing so I bet I adrenaline-dumped quite a bit of power into all those little muscles that now are reminding me they exist.

Warning - Bloody elbow picture:
    837708EC-0752-459E-8693-9CFE805CD540_zpstow1q364.jpg

I was really moving well too - holding 220 watts up to the point of the crash, good for 20.4mph. Was looking at a 2:45 or better bike split (after a 34 minute swim). Only leaving me to pull off a 1:35 run which I *know* I could have done to come in under 5 hours.
  • EnduranceGirl2
    edited May 2015
    Options
    glad to know i'm not the only one already planning 2016. i told my wife i'd be interested in doing the south beach oly triathlon in April. didn't really need to twist her arm too much to go visit florida lol.
    St. Anthony's Oly is also a great spring destination race.

• ShawnTX
    Options
    Warning - Bloody elbow picture:
    Awesome! War wounds! Glad to hear you are on the mend.

• ShawnTX
    Options

Same strategy here. Much easier to sell all the training hours to the girlfriend and family if it is wrapped around, "Hey, I'm taking you all to Cozumel!"
  • EnduranceGirl2
    Options
    I negotiate with my husband - he gets to shlep a 50 pound pack up a mountain and sleep in a tent if I get to go to Florida for the weekend :-)