PISS???????

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    it is actually science. there are lots of books and articles on it.

Yes, it is science. But the effects of that conversion (glucleonu....whatever) only affect people that badly in extreme situations (diabetes, kidney problems, random health issues, etc.). The average person will have the protein need regulated by natural hunger. Most people struggle to get enough protein rather than the other way around. Yes, there are people who struggle with this, but it is less of an issue for the average person that studies suggest.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Yes, it is science. But the effects of that conversion (glucleonu....whatever) only affect people that badly in extreme situations (diabetes, kidney problems, random health issues, etc.). The average person will have the protein need regulated by natural hunger. Most people struggle to get enough protein rather than the other way around. Yes, there are people who struggle with this, but it is less of an issue for the average person that studies suggest.

Totally agree with this. While gluconeogenesis is a real thing that happens, IF you find it is happening to you (the only way you'll know really is with regular glucose checks - a "stall" is not an indicator)...its probably because you are not eating a LCHF diet, but more of a LCLF diet, needing more protein to be satisfied because you are not taking in enough fat. Protein requirements on LCHF are a range, not a hard and fast "must eat .8g/lb of LBM or all your muscles will fall off" kind of thing. For most, .6g - .8g is perfectly fine. If you exercise alot, you will probably need more. But you have to exercise A LOT. Lots of heavy lifting, or Lots of running...etc.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    OH, and pls dont take what I said earlier about the water and fat cells to mean that I don't believe in water weight and whoosh fairies. I do. I just don't necessarily believe that our fat cells grab water. Maybe a molecule or two, but I don't think they fill up with it. We are 50-60 percent water by make-up, so there are lots and lots of places for water to hide. :)
  • SRJennings
    SRJennings Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    All of your responses have helped keep me on track. I have not gotten my longed for 'whoosh' yet but I am staying firm on my LCHF WOE.

I got this from another low carb site. I thought it was an interesting explanation that may help other people who are stuck in a stall.

PISS (post induction stall syndrome) is NO REASON TO QUIT

(1) When you start Atkins induction, your body dumps a lot of water
    along with the stored glycogen, and there are other hormonal things going on
    that promote water loss. So you lose several pounds of water, sometimes
    more. You may even get slightly dehydrated at first. (2) As you continue on
    induction, your body begins to adapt to the reduced carb intake. Water
    retention is gradually normalized, so that you are no longer dehydrated. A
    pound to several pounds of water weight may gradually return. (3) As the
    small amount of water weight gradually returns, you're also gradually
    burning fat. The water weight increase is offset by the fat loss, showing a
    net slowdown or even "stall" on the scale, sometimes even a small increase
    on the scale. (4) As you continue low-carbing, the gradual loss of weight in
    the form of body fat will finally start showing up, and you'll start seeing
    the scale moving down again. This whole process may encompass a period of a
    month or more. Seeing the scale stop changing, or even a small increase in
    weight is therefore pretty normal for many Atkins dieters, and is not a
    reason to drastically change the diet or start doing a radically hypocaloric
    thing. It is always a good idea, at any stage, to be careful about your carb
    intake, to make sure you're correctly charting your carb intake.

If, after four weeks past induction, you are not seeing the scale start to
    move, then you probably want to look at ways to get past the stall. A true
    stall is not diagnosed, by the way, unless you've gone 6 weeks without loss
    on the scale or in inches. Methods such as counting calories, stepping up
    exercise, increasing or decreasing carb intake, cutting out certain types of
    foods can be tried, preferably not all at one time (so you know what is
    working and what isn't). Also be aware that on low-carb diets, many people
    (not just women) seem to lose weight intermittently, rather than gradually.
    They will go along sometimes for several weeks with nothing showing up on
    the scale, and then all of a sudden, in one day or over a couple days, lose
    several pounds. Nobody seems to know why, but this seems particularly common
    to low-carb dieting. Patience is a good trait for low-carb dieters to work
    on.

I hope this helps everyone!!!! I know MANY of us are in this situation like me right now!! Lets hang on and prove this theory PISS to be right on the nose! GOOD LUCK ALL MY FORUM FRIENDS!
    Doesn't matter since I'm in, all in, for life. The weight loss will come! I won't be giving up on all of the other benefits!
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I was discussing this with my daughter just today. I lost the water weight and now am sitting with little movement on the scale. But, I am in this WOL to lower my insulin levels and get rid of my IR! Consequently that will lower my BP, BGL, cholesterol, etc. I plan to get off my diabetes meds and just plain be healthier. It is discouraging when the scale doesn't move fast enough, but if I think of this solely for weight loss I would more easily give up when no "progress" is evident. I just have to remember my real goal is health. I have confidence that the weight will come off eventually.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I was discussing this with my daughter just today. I lost the water weight and now am sitting with little movement on the scale. But, I am in this WOL to lower my insulin levels and get rid of my IR! Consequently that will lower my BP, BGL, cholesterol, etc. I plan to get off my diabetes meds and just plain be healthier. It is discouraging when the scale doesn't move fast enough, but if I think of this solely for weight loss I would more easily give up when no "progress" is evident. I just have to remember my real goal is health. I have confidence that the weight will come off eventually.

Remember that water weight is real weight. You had to work to get it off too, didn't you? Even if I lose the same pound 100 times, one of those times, it will get the message, take some friends with it as it leaves, and go party somewhere else!