Slow or no loss

RisiM
RisiM Posts: 180 Member
been following this woe for the last 6 weeks and weight loss is awful despite never having more than 10% of calories from carbs and recently much less. Woe is sustainable, but bigger reward would be lovely. Is it time to give up cheese and cream?

Replies

• camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Sorry to say, only you can answer that! Try it and see. But don't give up! it takes more time for some of us than others to figure out the sweet spot for weight loss. And go by how much better you feel.
  • RisiM
    No intention of giving up. Just feel bit disappointed again :(
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    How are your clothes fitting?

My scale is showing losses in the 300g range for the MONTH. Yet, somehow I am wearing clothes I haven't fit into since Oct.
  • pope705
    pope705 Posts: 109 Member
    When I have a slow loss (or no loss) I always look at my food diary. Am I weighing and measuring? am I trying to use too many fake foods or legal treats, which are total unneccessary? Then I look at my calendar. Where am I in my cycle? One week before my period I stop losing. Sometimes I manage to maintain, others I gain. But if I use the gain or slowdown as an excuse to cheat or stray, I won't be happy with myself.
    Finally I just ask myself if I'm happy. Do I like eating bacon every day for breakfast? Yes, yes I do. I eat more veggies when they are loaded with fat.
    Hang in there. Slow is good. It's not as much fun but slow is ok.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    I'm planning on doing dairy free next Monday to Friday, do you want to join me Risi? I seemed to lose weight faster during my 5 days without dairy, but whether it's a 'real thing' or not, I still don't know. I figure it won't hurt to try. Not sure if butter should be excluded or not though - does anyone reading this have any thoughts?
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    I'm planning on doing dairy free next Monday to Friday, do you want to join me Risi? I seemed to lose weight faster during my 5 days without dairy, but whether it's a 'real thing' or not, I still don't know. I figure it won't hurt to try. Not sure if butter should be excluded or not though - does anyone reading this have any thoughts?

Well butter is definitely a dairy product... I would think you would eliminate it also.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    It takes time and patience, I am almost 3 month in and I've been loosing slower and sometimes not at all, the bigger indication is inches lost vs pounds lost and the way you feel, that is more important to me.
    Keep an eye on your food and try different ways of eating. I can't see your diaries but sometimes I have to up my calories to see scale move.
    Good luck!
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    I'm doing less dairy, trying no cheese or cream. As I'm allergic to coconut I'm not cutting out butter though.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Don't go by just the scale. I use the scale, tape measure, pictures, clothing fit, and comments by a lady at work that I only see 1-2 a week (she tells me I look like I'm losing). If I don't notice at least one of these things changing I know its time to see where the issue may be. When you look at my scale weight it says I've only lost about 5 pounds, yet I've lost 10 inches since starting LCHF in mid-January. Think about, the only people who see the scale are you and your doctor (or medical assistant where I go), but everyone will notice when the inches come off.
  • MimiOfTheLusciousLawn
    MimiOfTheLusciousLawn Posts: 2,212 Member
    I had an epiphany about a week ago. Had only been losing 1-2# a week for five weeks. Yes, it's a loss but at my size it should be more. My diary, calories, macros were all in line. I finally realized that during the day I had gone back to picking and snacking rather than eating a real meal. Each time you eat your insulin spikes. Well, I was hungry all day which isn't right with this woe. I went back to waiting until I was prettt hungry and then made a meal. Then had dinner with the family. Two good meals a day, I'm not hungry anymore and I had a 4# loss the first week. So just because everything looks great on paper, something isn't quite right. Good luck, hope this helps you or someone else!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    RisiM, I know the feeling. I haven't lost anything new all month, nor are my clothes fitting differently. It really seems as though nothing is happening at all. My face is all broken out, if that counts as activity. But I'm not giving up. I'm trying to keep my calories up but sometimes I'm just not hungry. I'm going to ditch dairy next week w/ @GrannyMayOz to see if that helps. Join us?

My diary is open if anyone wants to take a look and critique...FYi--I just increased my carbs, giving myself permission to eat more of them if I want. Just to see what happens.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    The other thing is, if you're not losing weight, your body might be busy diverting its energy elsewhere. Fixing what's broken. Healing itself. It just might not be ready to deal with the effort of losing more weight just yet, but it'll get there in time.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to ditch dairy next week w/ @GrannyMayOz to see if that helps. Join us?
    Oh you two are scheduling this? Maybe I'll join you next week, then! I messed up yesterday and got a Starbucks coffee with HC without thinking about it, so I need a redo! ;)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    I'm going to ditch dairy next week w/ @GrannyMayOz to see if that helps. Join us?
    Oh you two are scheduling this? Maybe I'll join you next week, then! I messed up yesterday and got a Starbucks coffee with HC without thinking about it, so I need a redo! ;)

@GrannyMayOz is the ring leader :) but I'm following along. Please join us! It should be interesting--I hope we all lose some weight as a result, but at least we'll find out if dairy is the stall point.
  • lizpitts
    lizpitts Posts: 67 Member
    Possibly that's too many carbs. 10% of 1500 calories a day would be 150 carbs. Try lowering that.
  • GrannyMayOz
    @GrannyMayOz is the ring leader :) but I'm following along. Please join us! It should be interesting--I hope we all lose some weight as a result, but at least we'll find out if dairy is the stall point.

What a dobber Wheatless!!! ;) But I guess I am. I was hesitant to start a thread because there's already the Meatless May Challenge, but I'll do it - if anyone wants to do both they can, of course. I'll go right now and start it - please meet me there everyone who wants to join.

• KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Glad you have the attitude of not giving up! That's what it takes to be successful and you will get there. I am seeing this as an extra long marathon, with no end and I might be in the back but I'm in. I lose very slowly too. Try not to let the scale control your emotions.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    I will go dairy free next week! If you want to skip butter you can use ghee. Mmm I like butter though. I like it on steak. Wow. 8:30 and I'm craving steak - NSV as far as I'm concerned.

So Monday - Friday next week? I'm going to start tomorrow instead. I've stalled and bounced for too long in my opinion. I will try something new. I always swear I'll try and egg fast but I quit within a day or two.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    RisiM, I know the feeling. I haven't lost anything new all month, nor are my clothes fitting differently. It really seems as though nothing is happening at all. My face is all broken out, if that counts as activity. But I'm not giving up. I'm trying to keep my calories up but sometimes I'm just not hungry. I'm going to ditch dairy next week w/ @GrannyMayOz to see if that helps. Join us?

My diary is open if anyone wants to take a look and critique...FYi--I just increased my carbs, giving myself permission to eat more of them if I want. Just to see what happens.

I got a slammed-in-my-face reminder that my body has to detoxify the 20 plus years of damage I did, which is why I'm breaking out and having inflammation seemingly without major trigger. While the scale isn't moving, I have to believe my body is repairing itself. As long as I feel great, my body will catch up eventually. It's just playing catch up from all my life, not just right now.... Hope that helps, @wheatlessgirl66

It could always be dairy other factors, but sometimes we just have to wait it out. For months. If I feel good, I'm not changing anything for a while. Patience is not something I have in high supply, but I've gotta give my body a chance.
  • GrannyMayOz
    m_puppy wrote: »
    I will go dairy free next week! If you want to skip butter you can use ghee. Mmm I like butter though. I like it on steak. Wow. 8:30 and I'm craving steak - NSV as far as I'm concerned.

So Monday - Friday next week? I'm going to start tomorrow instead. I've stalled and bounced for too long in my opinion. I will try something new. I always swear I'll try and egg fast but I quit within a day or two.

Come on over to the Dairy Free thread and post what you're doing community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10151049/five-days-dairy-free-4th-to-8th-may-and-beyond-if-it-works It's completely fine to set your own dates.

• RisiM
    Yes I'll join you, not sure how I'm going to get my fat high enough with no butter or cream. Bring it on....
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    RisiM wrote: »
    Yes I'll join you, not sure how I'm going to get my fat high enough with no butter or cream. Bring it on....

Coconut cream/milk is a good option. Coconut oil is good too. Mayo mixed with mustard is super yummy... Someone sent out a recipe for avocado mayo not long ago... Many many options. :)
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,073 Member
    I do think too much cheese sets me back in my weight loss. But I'm not sure I could do without cream in my coffee. I use coconut milk in desserts and curries, but not sure I'd like it in coffee, although I haven't tried it. I found that I didn't like the taste of the coconut milk in smoothies when I used to make them, and I felt that if I did not use a whole can at a time, the taste of the coconut milk would be "off" if I kept a partial can open in the fridge for future use. How does it stay fresh tasting after you open it ? I do put MCT oil in my BPC, but also put butter in there too....how do I live without butter, I wonder ? HHmmm....
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    I had an epiphany about a week ago. Had only been losing 1-2# a week for five weeks. Yes, it's a loss but at my size it should be more. My diary, calories, macros were all in line. I finally realized that during the day I had gone back to picking and snacking rather than eating a real meal. Each time you eat your insulin spikes. Well, I was hungry all day which isn't right with this woe. I went back to waiting until I was prettt hungry and then made a meal. Then had dinner with the family. Two good meals a day, I'm not hungry anymore and I had a 4# loss the first week. So just because everything looks great on paper, something isn't quite right. Good luck, hope this helps you or someone else!

Brilliant! Thank you for this. It gives me hope, I just have to keep "tweaking" (not twerking) until I get it right. I HAS to work! It just HAS to!! I know I can figure this out! I'm sure it's something simple like you said.
    Thank you. I was starting to feel broken! HA!! wait! I guess, in a way I already AM broken and that's what we're all trying to fix! Whew.... nothing wrong with me then. What a relief!
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Can I just say that even if you cut out dairy, butter is fine? It's not like cheese and cream, it's a fat. Also, if you like a "white" coffee, but are trying to ditch the cream, try butter. Seriously. On my sink I have a stick blender and a glass jug. I make a coffee (instant mostly), pour it into the glass jug, add about 15g of block butter, "wizz" until frothy, pour back into a cup. My partner even does it now when he makes coffee. It's no effort at all and tastes great, I prefer it to cream or milk now.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    This article makes a lot of sense to me regarding stalls/plateaus: http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/weight-loss-plateau.html Actually, the whole site is packed with information! Maybe you all have seen it before, but it's new to me, and very helpful.
  • GrannyMayOz
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I do think too much cheese sets me back in my weight loss. But I'm not sure I could do without cream in my coffee. I use coconut milk in desserts and curries, but not sure I'd like it in coffee, although I haven't tried it. I found that I didn't like the taste of the coconut milk in smoothies when I used to make them, and I felt that if I did not use a whole can at a time, the taste of the coconut milk would be "off" if I kept a partial can open in the fridge for future use. How does it stay fresh tasting after you open it ? I do put MCT oil in my BPC, but also put butter in there too....how do I live without butter, I wonder ? HHmmm....

When I open a can of coconut milk I transfer it into a tupperware-style shaker that has a lid and a pouring spout (that seals). It keeps in the fridge fine for up to 4 days, and I've always used it up before then anyway.

@Risi I'm so sorry this thread has been diverted into a discussion about dairy. I hope it wasn't directly my doing and I am sorry *hugs* I know almost all threads head off in a tangent at some point, but I don't like to be The One o:)