Starting over

Options
farmers_daughter
farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
Ok - so after a bit of therapy and a bout with binge eating and borderline bulemia...I know I have an absorbent about of self shame to get thru....now I need to remember all the things/facts about food I tried to forget.

That being said I'm going back to the low"er" carb, higer protien/fat meal plan. I say lower because I was around 100 carbs a day back then and doing ok with it.

Couple questions:

Breakfast, I used to believe oatmeal was an absolute no no it's full of carbs - but then I was told recently that yes if you look for the right stuff and by stuff not peaches and cream :wink: you can have oatmeal.

So what "stuff"?

Next - When it comes to portions sizes, and I'm talking veggies and lean meats, what has been the best method to control portion sizes without feeling deprived?

Last night I had a salad with an 8 oz ribeye (Yes I know I'll eventually switch over to the ny strip) but I couldn't cut it in half. Well - wait. I did cut it in half, and I mentally whined like a 5 year old who just got their recess taken away. So then I gave in. cause I didn't want to try the deprived "feeling".

I dunno just asking for thoughts.

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    For oatmeal, I'd suggest the tube of just the oats, and make it at home. I add almond milk and a touch of unsulphured unsweetened molasses, or Wyman frozen wild blueberries, or just some stevia and cinnamon.

Try to avoid food that comes pre-prepared like the flavored packets of oatmeal or snack cups, or baggies of low cal treats, etc.

You are going to have to repair the relationship with your digestive system. You've been following emotional signals, I imagine, to know when to eat or when to stop (or worse). You need to calm your mind, don't eat while watching tv or maybe even socializing for now. Eat in a peaceful state where you can be aware of your true hunger signals. Start with smaller portions, and give it a few minutes before you go for seconds, to see if maybe you don't actually need them. If you are truly hungry for more, another helping is permissible and there's no shame in it.

Rib eye is wonderful, enjoy the marbling and the fat! Fat will fill you faster than a hot bowl of oatmeal. You want the fat, that is the true key to this way of eating. I know it takes a while to absorb and build your own faith in that, but that's the truth I wish I could pass on to every newcomer. The faster you make fat your friend, the easier this transition will be for you.

I'd suggest cauliflower, asparagus, green beans, cucumber, and brussels sprouts for your veggies. Your veggie portion does NOT need to be bigger than your meat.

If you "crave" food, be suspicious. If it's emotional... if you crave one SPECIFIC thing... then it's happening above the stomach. You will feel hungry, and at first it'll be tough, but once you transition fully, you might feel hungry but not have a chance to eat, and then find you went another six hours without getting those old familiar shakes or crazy mind!

For now, make sure you always have something low carb on hand to eat if you have trouble avoiding cravings - especially if other people are eating the Standard American Diet (SAD) around you. It's easier to make good choices than to ignore the carby beast with no alternative.

I hope this helps! Feel free to friend me if you want to look through my diary!
  • greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Switching from SAD, I found it easiest to drop all wheat first (bread, pasta, etc.), then rice, potatoes, corn, and other grains (including oats). Once I was acclimated to this, I could easily drop the higher carb veggies and fruits. So, for me, switching to very low carb was easy. However, it took several months to reach this point. A lot of people try to go "cold turkey" from carbs, experience intense cravings or hunger, and decide low carb isn't for them. So I recommend taking it slower and eliminating the carbs one group at a time. (But once you eliminate one, don't bring it back!)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You do not need to switch off of the ribeye, ever. You do not need to restrict yourself to a smaller portion if that is what you want to eat and it meets your macros within your plan. I regularly eat steak or burgers drenched in butter or cheese. I don't even bother with that salad.

Oatmeal is a distant past for me, and I honestly don't miss it. I thought I would NEVER be able to give it up, and now, I don't miss it. Like AT ALL. That was an impossible concept for me at first. Let me tell you that if you eat a variety and balance of healthy meats, with all their fabulous fat fuel included, you do not NEED 100 grams of carbs, unless that is what you choose to do.

Feeling deprived or starving or whatever on this way of eating is almost non-existent once you deal with the emotional side of things. Coming from an eating disorder recovery, the hardest thing you will likely face is eating what you want/need to eat, then feeling guilty afterward. I have had to banish guilt. If I want to eat completely off plan, I make myself consider the consequences, and if I choose to continue, I do with without guilt. This is my damned life and I'm going to live it.

Sorry if I'm being intense here, but hearing all the things you think you have to do to be healthy in your post above makes me sad and angry that you've been told.

Breakfast for me: Any alone or combined, as hunger dictates
    double strength tea with cream and coconut oil
    pepperoni and cheese
    a leftover burger (without bun, obviously. Generally slathered in either cheeese and butter or cheese and mayo and mustard)
    cheese and almonds
    fat bombs if I have a sweet tooth (getting rarer since I'm cutting my sweeteners down...)
    eggs and bacon
    full on omelette
    leftovers from last night (no matter what they are)
    pretty much anything I want on plan

No oatmeal to make me sleepy or anything like that.

I don't snack much at work anymore. Lunch is generally leftovers, tuna salad, a burger, whatever.

Dinners usually have some meat, cooked in butter or covered in it with cheese or a sauce, dipped in mayo or whatever... I do asparagus, broccoli, green beans, and whatever. I generally put butter and/or cheese on them.

If I want a salad, I eat a salad...with a fatty dressing. If I want a pint of cherry tomatoes, I eat them with sharp cheddar. If I want berries, I eat a few with heavy cream or I whip them up into a cheesecake type thing with vanilla, butter, cream cheese, and a little sweetener.

All these things were suggested to me by my doctor. All my bloodwork, scale, etc. look so great to him last Friday, he practically danced in happiness at my progress. So make sure you research this before you dive in, because everything you think you can't have may be everything you need to make this work!!!!!
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    No these are all good replies.
    Definetly not afraid of the fat, and finding good fats too. I hear a few friends mention "Oh that has so much fat - but I do get the concept that it is going to be more filling to have avocado (which thank good is a good fat, cause I LOVE it, best topping on anything ever) so I'm ok with fats. Its the sugars and the carbs that scare me. And make me sit in the grocery asile for way too long.

But then also for a while I wasn't even remotely looking at my calories. The goal was to get the carbs and sugars down. So that's another thing that is a bit of a trigger. Ok I can have a "fantastic" day, but then if I worry about how many cals I've had, then that's a "I'm losing something or deprevation" trigger. Again, I'm fully aware I sound like a whining child about that. But part of therapy is to recognize that the emotion is real, and try to turn it to a positve. I'm not ready to face my macros. Not in a postive way anyways.

Bread is semi easy to drop as long as I remember my lunch and cook at home, Rice is hard to let go of. We don't have it often, but ugh.

The 100g of carbs is a start, because just regular eating or SAD (I think) is waaaaaay over that. So it's a starting point, or at least that's what the free health coach from work had me start at.

Hmm... feel free to debunk anything for me. I want to know what works! :smiley:

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    FWIW, I started pretty much where you are. I just ate real food. Dumped grains and processed food. Targeted 100g/d. It worked so well for me, both in terms of weight loss and lipid panel improvements, that I never needed to go more extreme. To me, the best aspect of that level of carbs is that I can easily maintain it indefinitely, and I plan to.

Go with what works for you. :)
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I've started cold turkey, dropped to 20 carbs (keto state) and had no "ragrets" doing so. Dumped all the grains, pastas, sugars, carbs, everything i love :), started exercising probably a month after i went low carb, and I feel great. I'm still at 20-25 carbs a day 3 months later. I enjoy my new lifestyle, my new size clothing, no headaches and I'm full of energy.
    The reason i decided to start low right away is to eliminate cravings. I felt like crap for about a week or even less while my body adjusted to a new way of burning fat, and after that, all wonderful things started to happen. I don't want anything carby at all, i can survive meetings surrounded by plates of sugary stuff for hours, my family eating cookies and ice cream in front of me, it doesn't even bother me at all!

The only advice i can give you, do not give up, keep on low carbing and rip all the benefits.
    You have to stay strong, don't think of "poisons" that those carb and sugars are, and you will do just great. You can always go back to SAD ways of eating if this isn't working for you. But why would you? :)

Best wishes!! :)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Definetly not afraid of the fat, and finding good fats too. I hear a few friends mention "Oh that has so much fat - but I do get the concept that it is going to be more filling to have avocado (which thank good is a good fat, cause I LOVE it, best topping on anything ever) so I'm ok with fats. Its the sugars and the carbs that scare me. And make me sit in the grocery asile for way too long.

But then also for a while I wasn't even remotely looking at my calories. The goal was to get the carbs and sugars down. So that's another thing that is a bit of a trigger. Ok I can have a "fantastic" day, but then if I worry about how many cals I've had, then that's a "I'm losing something or deprevation" trigger. Again, I'm fully aware I sound like a whining child about that. But part of therapy is to recognize that the emotion is real, and try to turn it to a positve. I'm not ready to face my macros. Not in a postive way anyways.

Bread is semi easy to drop as long as I remember my lunch and cook at home, Rice is hard to let go of. We don't have it often, but ugh.

The 100g of carbs is a start, because just regular eating or SAD (I think) is waaaaaay over that. So it's a starting point, or at least that's what the free health coach from work had me start at.

What's the reasoning for the plan to switch from ribeye to NY Strip? And the attempt to cut it in half? Is it just because that's what all the diet articles say to do? Ignore them. Seriously. They're useless.

Have you tried not worrying about calories right now, and just focusing on the good, LCHF-compliant food choices and paying attention to your actual hunger signals? (See also: mindful eating) That tactic might be worth a try. Choose the fatty cuts of meat, like the ribeye, and non-starchy vegetables, like broccoli, asparagus, and garden salads. Eat slowly and deliberately, and stop when you're full. When it comes to the veggie portions, don't worry too much about it. At 100g, if you're getting your carbs primarily from non-starchy vegetables, you'd have to eat a ton to get that amount. You'll likely get full long before then, especially if you pair them all with some amount of fat and/or protein. Don't eat them just because you think you should. Eat them because you want them, and eat them until you're satisfied and no longer want any (or you run out).

Do not tell yourself that you "can't" have any more or that you're only "allowed" to eat half of your steak. When you're full, tell yourself that you don't want any more right now.

Changing your inner dialog from "I can't..." to "I don't want..." puts the responsibility and, more importantly, control back on to yourself. By saying "I don't want..." you're making the choice to do or not do something. No one else is making that choice for you. Not the universe. Not your significant other. Not even that whiny 5 year old inner voice. You.

Like @KnitOrMiss said, if you decide to go off plan, make it a deliberate decision, including weighing the pros and cons of doing so. "I'm choosing to eat this ice cream." Then do so without guilt. You've made a conscious decision to do it. Enjoy it, deal with the consequences, and move on. Or choose not to eat it. Again, without guilt. Saying "I choose not to eat this" and, by extension, "I choose not to deal with the consequences that come from eating this," is just as okay as saying "yes." Both ways are very empowering, even if they do take a while to learn. There will be times where you choose poorly and suffer the consequences of doing so, but acknowledge the consequences of that decision and remember it for next time, without judgement (in other words forgive yourself, don't beat yourself up). Determine whether you want to suffer those consequences in the future and if you don't want to, then tell yourself "I don't want to feel that way again, and I know how to prevent it next time." When that opportunity presents itself again, think about how you reacted when you chose the more painful way, and determine whether that pain is worth it for this particular instance (and in some cases, it may be worth the consequences you'll deal with later).

Finally, never be afraid to turn down something you choose not to consume. Don't worry about offending a family member, and if you find yourself in a situation with an easily-offended person, tell them, flat-out, that you appreciate the offer, but you have to put your health above all else, and that particular item is something that will cause a set-back in the progress you've already made (it's okay to liken it to a recovering alcoholic; most people in their right minds wouldn't be that pushy if the item being peddled were a beer and you were an alcoholic on the wagon). By being assertive about your boundaries, and not consuming something just to be polite, you keep the control, instead of allowing that person control over you. This is huge when dealing with your sense of self-worth, self-love, and self-respect.

The same goes for your friends. Remember that they're indoctrinated into the "fat is bad" garbage. When you hear such remarks, tell them that such foods do not feed your eating disorder and, in fact, help heal it. Tell them that fat is actually very good, and helps re-connect and re-enforce the neural connections, cells, and hormones involved in reducing depression, anxiety, and other issues that have been found to be caused by the low-fat mantra. Explain that you feel satiated, and the desire to binge is reduced when you stick to this plan, and that their remarks undermine your efforts and progress.

Also, if you still want to eat oats, the "right" ones are the steel cut oats, followed by rolled oats. Steel cut are the least processed, but do take a little longer to cook. Rolled oats, quick oats, and instant oatmeal are more processed (each moreso than the one before it), which results in faster cook times, but also faster absorption, which means you get a larger blood sugar spike and drop, and get hungry sooner.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

Depending on the quantity, you can still have small amounts of certain rices. I just measure carefully and restrict other carbs. My guy might have a full cup with this stir fry, but I would have 1/4 cup or less. Satisfying, still get the rice taste with your food, but the meal then isn't all about the rice! Though I haven't tried it, I've heard lots of folks who like the cauliflower fried rice substitute, too.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Back in July of 2014 is when I was introduced to the LCHF ways...I successfully followed it until November 2014, and reaped the benefits of a higher score on my wellness screening (thus paying the lesser rate). But that was it. That's the part I get frustrated about. Yes I got healthier on the inside, but the outside was teh same size. That's what made me think I needed to start cutting portions and following at least some of the "mainstream" dieting advice.

Dragonwolf - yes the only reason I would want to eat less than an 8oz ribeye (or something different) is because that's what the diet advice says. Ugh. The whole 4oz or less portion size for meats etc... I don't honestly even know where I picked that up. But it's in my noggin.

And yes - changing the inner dialogue! Effort needs to go into that bucket!!

Thank you guys so much!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @farmers_daughter, you won't find many lchf options in the aisles of a grocery store. I find its a waste of time. Shopping has become more simple for me. I stop for heavy cream, cheese, then to meats, a stop in the produce section for some bananas for the family, and I'm done (granted this isn't a big wal mart trip when I need paper products...). I don't even go down the aisles, unless I have a specific request from the fam.

Changing the beliefs about food, that we have been brainwashed about, is a challenge. Trusting that fat can be good for you was one of the biggest hurdles for me. I realise the difference now (after eating butter for the last month, and heavy whipping cream too)!

Arm yourself, if you feel the need to, with actual facts by reading as much as you can. So, when the naysayers say you aren't eating right, you can educate them on the deception that has likely been the cause of the obesity and diabetes epidemic we see today. People have been eating healthy for years and look where its gotten us!

It gets easier, I promise! Hang in there, and welcome to the group!
  • dtobio
    dtobio Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also limit my carbs to 100g per day, and I look at it like a bank account. I don't have to spend all the money I've set aside but I could if I needed to. Some days I have the 100g of carbs and some days I have less. I used to read the diet books, and go to Weight Watchers and beat myself up about everything I ate or wanted to eat or didn't eat.

I still have rice but I budget for it. I have brown rice and it's 34g of carbs and I have it with something like ribeye or chicken and a small salad with olive oil so I come out around 40g of carbs for the meal. It's do-able, it just takes some planning. It's also way less than the 100g or so I could have eaten at one meal.

I also have years of disordered eating, unhealthy eating, emotional eating to overcome. I understand how tempting it is to cut your meal in half, or to tell yourself you "can't have" something. I find that planning is key- if I plan out what I'll have then it's easy to stick to that plan and I really don't feel deprived because then it's not about what I can't have, it's about sticking to the plan. There is a lot of mental acrobatics that goes into reframing and changing our relationship with food.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    Oh Lord Dan I LOVE Corned Beef....I wait until after St. Patricks day when all the leftovers are on sale. And chaching.... I buy a buttload of them and throw them in the crockpot. Yumm yummm
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    Oh Lord Dan I LOVE Corned Beef....I wait until after St. Patricks day when all the leftovers are on sale. And chaching.... I buy a buttload of them and throw them in the crockpot. Yumm yummm

Mine NEVER went on sale here - and I looked every single day. I was SO sad!