Dogs

Options
annieboomboom
annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
I am thinking that my dogs are benefiting from my lc/hf lifestyle. I clean my frying pans with a bit of water heated over the stove and add the bits and juices to my dog's breakfast.
I buy good dry food but even then am unsure of how healthy all those carbs are for our 4 legged friends.
Makes clean up much easier.

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Mine LOVE it.
    Down here the bacon comes with rind on it, so that gets cut off and tossed into "other bowls"
    Breakfast fritattas are one egg and two egg whites, and the yolks have to go somewhere ... the "other bowls" and
    Well you can't have a fritatta without grated cheese on top ...

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    Mine LOVE it.
    Down here the bacon comes with rind on it, so that gets cut off and tossed into "other bowls"
    Breakfast fritattas are one egg and two egg whites, and the yolks have to go somewhere ... the "other bowls" and
    Well you can't have a fritatta without grated cheese on top ...

Dairy isn't really good for dogs, if you're implying you add cheese to their food. And why are you tossing the yolks? Those are the most nutritious part.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My dog has to be on a restricted diet due to yeast issues (no grains, no dairy/eggs, no potatoes, only certain proteins)...so she was doing low carb before I was. I found a good dry dog food that fits the above criteria, but now we both have coconut oil in our breakfasts :)
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    This thread needs pictures!

We're picking up a Sheltie tomorrow. :)
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My dog has milk allergys so no dairie for him, he eats good kibble but on occasion I have him on cooked chicken and rice.
    That is a switch we made after 7 or so years of strictly raw feeding. He is 12 today :)
    Our new pup, when we get one will be strictly raw fed, no questions about it!
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    DisappearingTwinkie Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    My Newf is loving our new diet, and boy do I get attitude if I do not make enough for him to have a taste!
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    Options
    I am surprised about the eggs and yeast, our Einstein (R.I.P 2013) should have been a bubble dog with allergies and yeast, whole eggs were a staple and helped so much.
  • nikoba
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Pictures Indeed! I don't think you ever have to ask a dog lover twice to gush about their pups :)
    I've always been curious about raw...or just homemade meals in general. For now I stick with Zignature dry food and then add freeze dried meat treats, frozen veggies, sardines, and coconut oil to her meals. We only just discovered the yeast factory that is Gertie's ears, so the vet suggested the restrictions and then if I wanted, I could try to add things back one at a time and keep a close eye on reactions. She's always been grain free, but my guess is that it was the potatoes in her food that was the culprit. We got her from a rescue group about a year ago, I'm inclined to think poor breeding is a factor in some of her issues (both mentally and physically).

p05hc9dlsaw3.jpg
  • nikoba
    Options
    I want to see pictures of your new furry family member tomorrow wabmester!
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    Options
    Oh yes potatoes are horrible for yeast in dogs with issues, which is why many do not want white potatoes in their foods, often found in grain free. Also look for peas/pea protein, often used to boost the protein of a product. and of course, wheat, oatmeal, corn, and so on :smiley:

Hello from Edison
    glq32fqvo3za.jpg
  • nikoba
    Options
    OMG...that is great, I love him!
    I'm a huge dog nerd...before adopting Gertie, I did a lot of fostering and started working part time at a doggy daycare to get my dog fix. I now volunteer at the daycare and would like to get back into fostering again. I've always been a sucker for big dogs, but given I'm a renter, I figured boston's are kinda like a big dog in a small package.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have a septic system and so , NO GREASE. Dogs are the perfect dishwasher.
    Happy to hear folks agree about this. I think a lot of dog food is poison.
    Makes our animals sick.
    Thanks for the support. As always.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    wybbnutqjjg1.jpg
    Did I hear somepne ask for puppy pictures?! This wasChristmas.

• nikoba
    Options
    Awe man...those two got some beautiful big mugs!
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Loving the pictures! Cute babies, guys! This is Sophie, she eats 3 meat Blue Buffalo and table scraps because, well, they only live once. She gets meat treats and occasionally gets to lick plates and bowls. She particularly likes to lick ice cream bowls, good for her or not.
    3lh12gb5bvm0.jpg

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Our dogs get good kibble, and I've been known to cook chicken livers for them special.
  • Meeezonajourney
    Meeezonajourney Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    Pictures Indeed! I don't think you ever have to ask a dog lover twice to gush about their pups :)
    I've always been curious about raw...or just homemade meals in general. For now I stick with Zignature dry food and then add freeze dried meat treats, frozen veggies, sardines, and coconut oil to her meals. We only just discovered the yeast factory that is Gertie's ears, so the vet suggested the restrictions and then if I wanted, I could try to add things back one at a time and keep a close eye on reactions. She's always been grain free, but my guess is that it was the potatoes in her food that was the culprit. We got her from a rescue group about a year ago, I'm inclined to think poor breeding is a factor in some of her issues (both mentally and physically).

p05hc9dlsaw3.jpg
    I have 2 bostons and one was of poor breeding and he has had a multitude of health problems. No corn wheat soy dairy potatoe ect has made world of difference. He's 11 and still going strong. Sorry to ramble....love my stupid mutts!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My babies

My boy Sabre, the best dog I've ever had, turned 12 today. We gave him a big chunk of ham :)

h9piyrjrefrn.jpg

Roxy (RIP), she was a sweetheart, I miss her so much :(

8b6u3mt72g4f.jpg
  • DisappearingTwinkie
    Options
    Beautiful furfamily!
  • cdpits
    cdpits Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    7j45nnvfpk9k.jpg
    These are my kids, I actively show them and travel everywhere with them to shows.( Sorry, it's my retired life) and after losing my DH 3 years ago, they give me a reason to get up everyday and keep living :)