Primal egg coffee... holy cow!

Options
124»

Replies

• walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I can't wait to try this! I have been adding the coconut oil and heavy cream to my coffee, but this sounds like an excellent plan for me since I love eggs and creamy coffee so much. Just a note, because I'm annoying like this, it's pastured eggs that he talks about not pasteurized eggs, which is different. He's talking about free range farm type eggs. Pastured and pasteurized are not the same. Just FYI.

People here are asking about pasteurized because of the fear of salmonella. However, coffee is brewed at temperatures above that which is needed to kill salmonella, so it basically pasteurizes the egg as part of the process of making it.

My bad, I thought they were talking about the Mark's Daily Apple post where he uses the term pastured eggs, not pasteurized eggs. Carry on.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I can't wait to try this! I have been adding the coconut oil and heavy cream to my coffee, but this sounds like an excellent plan for me since I love eggs and creamy coffee so much. Just a note, because I'm annoying like this, it's pastured eggs that he talks about not pasteurized eggs, which is different. He's talking about free range farm type eggs. Pastured and pasteurized are not the same. Just FYI.

People here are asking about pasteurized because of the fear of salmonella. However, coffee is brewed at temperatures above that which is needed to kill salmonella, so it basically pasteurizes the egg as part of the process of making it.

My bad, I thought they were talking about the Mark's Daily Apple post where he uses the term pastured eggs, not pasteurized eggs. Carry on.

I think it was both and they got mashed up together! LOL
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Going to try this on Saturday (just so I can see how long it takes) and I'm super excited about it!
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    glossbones wrote: »
    Going to try this on Saturday (just so I can see how long it takes) and I'm super excited about it!

For me, it doesn't take any longer to make that BPC/T... cracking a couple eggs into my bottle and shaking them to scramble when I already shake my HWC and CO... Maybe an extra minute. LOL But I don't remember if you do BPC...

I'm trying to work up my nerve to try it with coffee instead of tea. I know small amounts of coffee have such great outlying benefits, but I just can't stand coffee usually... LOL I figure if I make it on the weekend, I can give it to my guy if I don't like it... LOL
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Tried it, loved it! Thanks for the post, I learn so much from this website and my "diet" or eating habits or whatever are just getting better and better.
  • m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

For me, it doesn't take any longer to make that BPC/T... cracking a couple eggs into my bottle and shaking them to scramble when I already shake my HWC and CO... Maybe an extra minute. LOL But I don't remember if you do BPC...

I'm trying to work up my nerve to try it with coffee instead of tea. I know small amounts of coffee have such great outlying benefits, but I just can't stand coffee usually... LOL I figure if I make it on the weekend, I can give it to my guy if I don't like it... LOL

Try it with regular strength coffee. You won't even taste the coffee.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    So I accidentally made this into custard...had half of it this am, then tried to microwave reheat the second half for lunch. It turned into custard, and now I'm chicken to try it lol
  • glossbones
    Options

I add HWC, CO, and Butter now. But I just stir it in. It's more the idea of extra cleanup from the immersion blender (and I HATE washing the stupid shake bottle).
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    So I accidentally made this into custard...had half of it this am, then tried to microwave reheat the second half for lunch. It turned into custard, and now I'm chicken to try it lol

Coffee custard?? Sounds yumbo!. smiley-eatdrink022.gif
  • glossbones
    Options
    Tried it whole egg this morning, and it tasted as nasty to me as I reported protein powders being. So I gave that mug to my husband and made it with three yolks instead. That tasted better but toward the end it came back and I couldn't finish it. Just sat there wishing I'd fried the eggs instead.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

I found that if I microwave it to heat it back up, I stir every 10 seconds to keep it from "cooking," so to speak... If it tastes good to drink, why wouldn't it taste good to eat? It'd be like a coffee creme brulee!
    Tried it whole egg this morning, and it tasted as nasty to me as I reported protein powders being. So I gave that mug to my husband and made it with three yolks instead. That tasted better but toward the end it came back and I couldn't finish it. Just sat there wishing I'd fried the eggs instead.

So maybe you just have a sensitivity to it? Or your coffee wasn't strong enough? Double or triple strength is necessary. And if it isn't hotter than he!!, barely able to drink it hot, it will start tasting odd. So keeping it hot is key for me! Sorry you didn't like it, but at least now you know. :)

• glossbones
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So maybe you just have a sensitivity to it? Or your coffee wasn't strong enough? Double or triple strength is necessary. And if it isn't hotter than he!!, barely able to drink it hot, it will start tasting odd. So keeping it hot is key for me! Sorry you didn't like it, but at least now you know. :)

We already use a LOT of (bold) grinds for our pot so next time if we got crazy and wanted to try it again, I'd cut back on the water to increase the strength.

But yeah, I'm happier to take my eggs on a plate. ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options

We already use a LOT of (bold) grinds for our pot so next time if we got crazy and wanted to try it again, I'd cut back on the water to increase the strength.

But yeah, I'm happier to take my eggs on a plate. ;)

Hey, but at least now you know. You won't have that niggle in the back of your head, "What if?"

I can't even get back to the idea of cooking my eggs in a pan again. I burned out a while back (was having them daily, sometimes more than once), and I just haven't gotten my taste for them back...lol.
  • Fvaisey
    Fvaisey Posts: 5,506 Member
    Options
    I'm enjoying the primal coffee for breakfast. Nice to have a quick alternative when I don't want to take time to cook.