The Lasies will Get This, The Men Maybe Not

Options
nikkib0103
nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
I have to go to a bridal shower on Sunday, and not wanting to blow money on clothes before I lose more weight I have borrowed a dress. Now, my pooch sticks out a little. So I thought I would go out and buy one of those control top thingies. My mother used to wear panty girdles and long line bras which held her in with the strength of iron . They don't seem to make them any more, or at least, no known department store carries them. So I tried on a variety of stretchy things that promised to make me look 10 pounds thinner and flatten my pooch. In what universe? The best one sort of squished it into one mass but in no way changed my profile. And it was $53 Plus I threw my back out trying to get it on and off. So I have decided to stand up straight and hold my gut in instead. I did score on bras and shoes, though, so all was not lost. Honestly, though, most of this stuff seems to be made for people who THINK they have a pooch or muffin top or whatever. What has been your experience in trying to camouflage a pooch or muffin top or other bits you dislike?

Replies

• nikkib0103
    Options
    BTW, I meant LADIES not Lasies
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    LOL I agree! Let's face it, all that "extra" has to go somewhere, if you squeeze it in one place, it's still got to go somewhere else anyway! Most of the time, it's still gonna be right there, bigger than we want it to be. The best bet is to wear something that can disguise the parts we aren't thrilled with as best we can and then say "who cares anyway?" people can accept me for who I am not what I look like! Just go and have a great time!
  • Bobbie63
    Bobbie63 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have many of those and none ever fit- and Im big but not giant, I have seen ladies bigger than m with them on, I also always want to cut the crotch out and put some velcro in, who can get it off to pee? At this point I hope to lose enough weight to get in one. Heck at this point I hope to lose enough weight to be fat ;)
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I resorted to just VERY loose fitting stuff. Something on clearance at TJ Maxx. It is one of my joys to be able to shop in normal stores. Best of luck to you, I remember wearing a girdle as a teen-ager, horrible things.
  • marekdds
    Options
    I resorted to just VERY loose fitting stuff. Something on clearance at TJ Maxx. It is one of my joys to be able to shop in normal stores. Best of luck to you, I remember wearing a girdle as a teen-ager, horrible things.
  • sweetd6
    sweetd6 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    What used to take care of lumps and bumps was a $2.50 pair of control top panty hose. It was "all in one" and made for a smoother silhouette. That's about the most the new "compression" type things can do - smooth it all out. Somewhere along the line it became gauche to wear pantyhose, we were supposed to be bare legged or women might snicker at us, especially with open toed shoes - and face it most dress shoes are open toed. So we have to spend $50 on garments that we didn't used to need. How did they ever convince us to let go of pantyhose??
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    None of those garments have ever really worked for me...more motivation to lose weight. Just go to your event and enjoy it and congratulate yourself for saving money not shopping for new clothes too early.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    I knew you all would get it. Just planning to go, have a good time and suck it in...
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I always hoped that those garments would just force my fat down to my feet
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I once tried a Spanx vest on in the changing rooms. I got it on.. It was so tight I could hardly breathe.. Now the tricky part.. I could hardly move.. Really hurt my back trying to get the thing off.. I was jumping up & down with my arms flying through her air.. What the ladies in the other changing rooms thought.. Goodness knows,
    I hasten to say.. I never bought it & have remained Spanx free ever since..
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    BBee5064 wrote: »
    I once tried a Spanx vest on in the changing rooms. I got it on.. It was so tight I could hardly breathe.. Now the tricky part.. I could hardly move.. Really hurt my back trying to get the thing off.. I was jumping up & down with my arms flying through her air.. What the ladies in the other changing rooms thought.. Goodness knows,
    I hasten to say.. I never bought it & have remained Spanx free ever since..

According to my sources, the slit they give you to pee through is ridiculous. So one ends up not drinking or undressing completely. My dearest friend had one with hook and eye closure. We were all dressed to go to her daughter's wedding when she suddenly had to pee. Well she could not close herself back up. I now know her far more intimately than I had ever planned. No, I will just let my fluff be free and hope that it some day deserts me...
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I still have some of my old ones, but I totally agree... they never REALLY worked. It is all still right there, just smooshed around. Not worth the money at all.
    Let it be free!!
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    so... okay, I do wear body shapers that let you wear your own bra with them. they close with hook/eye assembly and I have become so accustom to wearing them that I am actually uncomfortable if I don't. Got a couple at Target.. Maidenform, I believe... might be all psychological, but when I wear one, I just feel more "solid" instead of "fluffy".
  • marekdds
    Options
    I think you do what makes you comfortable. This whole journey is about feeling good in our own skin and liking ourselves.
  • Luthien007
    Luthien007 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I bought a new pair of jeans on the weekend - designed to lift and shape your *kitten* :0
    Surprised I could move the notches on my trusty old black leather belt by 2 spaces ( about 2 inches) just from wearing the jeans. Lets not talk about the muffin top though :)
  • marekdds
    Options
    Hey, got to take the good and try to ignore the bad, lol. Still an NSV, I think.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    marekdds wrote: »
    Hey, got to take the good and try to ignore the bad, lol. Still an NSV, I think.

Yep. Muffin top? the only muffin tops we see are in the bakery.
  • downongreenacres
    downongreenacres Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with a muffin top, it's when it started to turn into a full-fledged loaf that I started to worry! :wink:
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Oh, I thought it was just me. I was at Kohl's last week and I put on a long waisted all over control shaper. As I got it past my thighs, hips and finally to my belly - my belly fat kept rolling higher and higher. I finally gave up, but I just might try the all in one shaper next month.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Sorry.....just never believed in these..............whatever you're shaping up or out is going to show up somewhere....and it may look worse than just going natural!!!!