The Lasies will Get This, The Men Maybe Not

Options

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,120 Member
    Options
    I may end up losing my man-card over this...

Ladies and lassies, the lads aren't immune to body image issues. Most of us deal with it differently which is why there aren't many young men with anorexia or bulimia.. but I'll bet you've seen many young men with oversized hoodies... loose enough to hide inconvenient muffin-tops...
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »

Ladies and lassies, the lads aren't immune to body image issues. Most of us deal with it differently which is why there aren't many young men with anorexia or bulimia.. but I'll bet you've seen many young men with oversized hoodies... loose enough to hide inconvenient muffin-tops...

Actually, anorexia is on the rise in teen and early 20 males. I did find a shaper that worked pretty well but it actually hurt to wear it after a while. Next wedding I go to I am just going to wear a big hoodie. Thanks, Uncle Mac, problem solved.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »

Actually, anorexia is on the rise in teen and early 20 males. I did find a shaper that worked pretty well but it actually hurt to wear it after a while. Next wedding I go to I am just going to wear a big hoodie. Thanks, Uncle Mac, problem solved.
    I hadn't heard of anorexia becoming an issue for teen & young males. That's sad.

Depending on the wedding, a hoodie could be fashionable.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    My mom taught me that good shoes and a the right bra are everything. I believe that you will look great and have a blast. <3
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    The bra,... Did you know more than 80% of us don't wear the correct size or type of bra? A properly fitting, uplifting bra can actually make you look 10 pounds lighter!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Right, the best thing is an outfit that fits and flatters.
  • E_Brault
    E_Brault Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    After losing all this weight, it was easy to determine if a pair of pants or blouse fit; but a bra? Not so sure. Age and weight loss have caused everything to shift.
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    E_Brault wrote: »
    After losing all this weight, it was easy to determine if a pair of pants or blouse fit; but a bra? Not so sure. Age and weight loss have caused everything to shift.

As it was explained to me by a bra fitter, the tops of our breasts 'thin out' so the tops of our bras are not filled out like they used to be. And as gravity works its magic, they droop a bit or a lot. That's why as we age we actually need better boosting bras. Even if our size has not changed much their shape or condition has and the bandits with strings that were so cute and suitable when we are young no longer work and we need more padding, lift, support. I had read as a teen that Marilyn Monroe wore a bra at all times except for sex and showers. Her bustline remained firm. My mother thought it was a bad idea and I listened to her. Now I wish I listened to Marilyn. Of course, she died at 36 and had no children to wear on her, so we don't know if she wouldn't have ended up tucking her boobs into her waistband in the end, too. Still, while my mother was often right she wasn't always right, despite what she still thinks!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    hat is Band Aids, not bandits. Damn this autocorrect.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    The bra,... Did you know more than 80% of us don't wear the correct size or type of bra? A properly fitting, uplifting bra can actually make you look 10 pounds lighter!
    15 year study says bras make breasts sag
  • nikkib0103
    Options

Well, this report did not specify the cup sizes of the subject. Above a B cup and you can look awfully slovenly letting it all hang out. Often your clothes look bad without a bra. Young women might benefit from burning their bras but I think I better stick with mine. Don't want to scare the kids and horses.
  • UncleMac
    Options

Well, this report did not specify the cup sizes of the subject. Above a B cup and you can look awfully slovenly letting it all hang out. Often your clothes look bad without a bra. Young women might benefit from burning their bras but I think I better stick with mine. Don't want to scare the kids and horses.
    Certainly, I'm not an expert on such things. I just happened to stumble on that article within a couple of minutes of reading this thread.
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    I'd love to never wear a bra. I'm anyway pretty small. But I know that will never happen .....
  • E_Brault
    Options

As it was explained to me by a bra fitter, the tops of our breasts 'thin out' so the tops of our bras are not filled out like they used to be. And as gravity works its magic, they droop a bit or a lot. That's why as we age we actually need better boosting bras. Even if our size has not changed much their shape or condition has

That explains a lot! And as my mother would say, "a lot, refers to real estate." Any suggestions, on a quality push up bra?

Which sports bras are best? I just bought a treadmill and will be running soon.

And socks? I am tired of buying mine at a discount store - only to have them to pill up after the second wash. Yet, I don't want to pay $50 for 3 pair of Nike self wicking.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just an aside, I really am trying to care for myself better than I have in the past. I have sacrificed many things to help others, but right now I really have to be a little selfish.

Thank you all.

• nikkib0103
    Options

As it was explained to me by a bra fitter, the tops of our breasts 'thin out' so the tops of our bras are not filled out like they used to be. And as gravity works its magic, they droop a bit or a lot. That's why as we age we actually need better boosting bras. Even if our size has not changed much their shape or condition has

That explains a lot! And as my mother would say, "a lot, refers to real estate." Any suggestions, on a quality push up bra?

And socks? I am tired of buying mine at a discount store - only to have them to pill up after the second wash. Yet, I don't want to pay $50 for 3 pair of Nike self wicking.

Any help would be appreciated.

Just an aside, I really am trying to care for myself better than I have in the past. I have sacrificed many things to help others, but right now I really have to be a little selfish.

Thank you all.

For bras, you would do well to try Wacoal, available at Macy's, Nordstrom and that type of department store. They will measure you correctly at the 'good' stores and advise on various models, including sports bras, to meet your needs. Socks, I wear Gold Toe. They wear very well.
  • E_Brault
    Options

Any suggestions, on a quality push up bra?

For bras, you would do well to try Wacoal, available at Macy's, Nordstrom and that type of department store. They will measure you correctly at the 'good' stores and advise on various models, including sports bras, to meet your needs. Socks, I wear Gold Toe. They wear very well.

Thank you!
  • E_Brault
    Options
    So, I downloaded an app for my iPhone yesterday: 24/7 Motion X. It is a sleep monitor. I just checked. I woke up almost every hour last night. I had suspected this has been happening. I have been referred for a sleep study, but I have not been able to get an appointment. I thought, it would have gotten much better after losing 50 pounds.

I have been really anxious about returning to the workforce in a much higher professional position. I have had some stressful jobs in the past and I always took it as a challenge and prided myself as a hard worker. But I didn't take care of me.

If anyone has overcome this issue, please tell me. My issue may be related to menopause too.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I've lost 95 pounds and with those pounds the ability to get a good night sleep! I slept great when I was 95 lbs heavier and I just don't understand it.
    I do think the stresses of my job "get to me" easier as I get older and cause anxiety. Careful with the higher professional position - stress can be a killer!
    I'm thinking of ditching my stressful job to one not so stressful (of course the pay will be lower.... :'( )

I
  • MostlyWater
    Options
    I assume that being 95 lbs heavier was harder on your body so you slept better since it was more tired. Is that incorrect?
  • E_Brault
    Options
    So, I listened to my sleep monitoring app this morning and around 12:30am I distinctly heard me snoring and my dog snoring. So I don't know how accurate this is going to be. Lol