Can I cheat?!

Options
2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm new (sorry, I keep saying this when I post, but I am new)--what is the deal with broth and/or pickle?

Salt, mainly, but electrolytes in general.

Low carb prompts the body to make ketones, which bind with sodium. While the body is still flushing a fair amount of them out of the system (instead of using them), the sodium goes with it, which actually risks sodium deficiency (which then leads to potassium and magnesium deficiencies, as the body uses them to conserve sodium when sodium stores run low). Broth, or pickles, are an easy way to increase one's sodium intake (pickles are actually a great way to get probiotics, too, if you're eating the actual, salt-brine fermented ones instead of the vinegar-brine ones).
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you go very low carb, you'll lose sodium due to a process called natriuresis. If you increase sodium intake, you can avoid the symptoms of low sodium. Low sodium is the main cause of "Atkins flu" or "keto flu."
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Awe! Well I actually have a big jar of pickles I bought at Sam's club just because I love Pickles so much! lol. Not sure on their sugar content, but thanks for the info. Now I won't feel so bad intaking so much sodium.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I eat one boiled egg each morning very well salted to help get my sodium. If I do that and take magnesium I do not have morning leg cramps when I start to get up.