Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Swim Workouts

Ms_J1
Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
Would any of you like to have swim workouts posted daily (or have daily workouts posted weekly)? I would like the opportunity to practice writing workouts for people of all abilities and I could use the feedback from those of you who would like to try them out. If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to start writing up some workouts and posting them here. All I would need to know from you guys is

1. What are your swim goals (specifically and/or generally),
2. What stroke(s) do you swim or prefer to swim,
3. How many yards/meters you are currently capable of swimming (for the stroke you swim or prefer to swim) per workout
4. Your 100 yards/meters pace (if you know it) of the stroke you swim or prefer to swim OR how long it takes you to swim the distance you swim in a typical workout.

Replies

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    edited May 2015
    I would love it! I swim with the Masters Tues/Thursday morning but now that we are swimming in the outside pool, I have added Mon/Fri or Mon/Sat. I sleep in on Wed/Sunday. :smile: I have a few workouts ranging from 1650 to 2300 yds scribbled down on cards. Depending on how much time I have, I'll pick one.

I can generally swim 100yds in about 2:15 moderate pace freestyle. Probably just under 2:00 in a sprint. I have never timed the others. I can swim all the strokes but not well and cannot swim more than 25yds fly without stopping. I would love to pick up my freestyle speed but have not had much luck. I need to swim the others just to improve. I have a pull buoy, fins and kickboard. I also have paddles but since I broke my finger last year, I find them very uncomfortable to use. I also need to work on lengthening my stroke and that has been my main focus lately.

Thanks!
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    I would like that too. I alternate between swimming sprint intervals and ladders. I swim about 6 days/week and would like to work on speed. I like everything but fly (I am too old and didn't even care for fly when I swam on a team!). I have no idea what my 100 pace is as I don't keep track.
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 947 Member
    edited May 2015
    Great idea!

For me, my 100 meter pace is around 1:42 ish. But I think that is at close to 100% effort! and don't know how many reps of 100s I'd sustain at that pace (never tried before)!
    25 meter sprint pace about 22 sec. Not sure how many reps of that I can sustain.
    Guess you know my usual distance and time from my posts on here.

Swim goals:
    Push my 25 meter pace to as close to 15 sec as I possibly can.
    Push my 2.5 km time to 41 min in 1 or 2 years time, to the extent possible!
    For now, freestyle only. Will go back to the IMs later!

I have no flippers or pull buoys or other equipment at this time, so the workouts would need to take that into account!
    :smile:
  • EmmaSlan
    EmmaSlan Posts: 19 Member
    That sounds amazing and incredibly generous! I have been totally focused on the swim for a mile event but as that is Friday it would be brilliant to start mixing up my training!
    I swim mostly freestyle and like AQ, I don't use any equipment other than a kickboard occasionally. I'm not sure what my 100 pace is but I'd guess it's around 2m30s. I would love to improve my speed. I can't swim fly in my pool (not allowed to) but I can swim all strokes with reasonable proficiency.
    While I am interested in adding some variety to my swim workouts, my main goal is increasing my freestyle speed.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    It would be awesome to have some direction. My daughter's track season ends this week (finally!) and I am hoping to get back to the pool much more often.
    Goal: swim continuously, either time or sets (45 min or x number of 500y sets, or whatever)
    Stroke: only freestyle now, although I'm working on backstroke when nobody is around
    Ability: I can do 100y in about 1:45, but then I need to rest. Seriously, I can do 100y and then I need to rest. Much of this is probably psychological (continuing to put my face in the water when I'm breathing at a workout pace) due to a childhood scare. I'd like to get past that and swim continuously. I currently swim sets of 50-100 freestyle, then 200-500 with a pull bouy to work on bilateral breathing. I usually throw in some kick sets with a board because they get left out of the pull bouy work.

This is really kind and generous of you! I was thinking this weekend how much I'd love to swim with some of you!
    ~Curly
  • Ms_J1
    Awesome! I'll start working on coming up with some workouts this week.
  • Ms_J1
    panhandle8 wrote: »
    I have no idea what my 100 pace is as I don't keep track.

Does the pool where you swim have a pace clock? If so, swim three 100s and let me know what your times are for each 100. If your pool doesn't have a pace clock and if you don't have one of those fancy swim watches, bring a watch with you and use it to time your three 100s. It doesn't have to be accurate down to the tenth of a second. I just need to know about where you are at so if you could just time them to the best of your ability, that would be fine.
  • panhandle8
    It does have a pace clock and I use it for my sprint intervals, I just don't swim 100y sprints. :) What % should I be doing the 100s? Thanks!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    This is REALLY nice of you, Ms. J!!!!!
  • Ms_J1
    Sorry for the long delay in responding. Been a busy week. I'm working on the workouts today and should have them posted by the end of the day. I'm going to try to cover 5 workouts for each swimmer.
  • Ms_J1
    edited May 2015
    So, I decided to start off with only one workout in case my workouts are unreasonable. I've written one workout for each of you. Try out your workout and then let me know how it went. Based on your feedback, I'll write more workouts that better suit each of you. If you don't understand the workout terminology, don't hesitate to ask me to explain it (we've all been down the, "Say what?!" path when trying to read workouts for the first time). Also, I've posted the terminology and a list of drills (as well as some workouts) on my MFP blog. I have my blog set so that only MFP friends can see it (for now) so feel free to send me an MFP friend request if we're not already friends so you can access it.

Terminology: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Ms_J1/view/terminology-707205
    Drills: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Ms_J1/view/drill-baby-drill-707419

If you miss an interval (i.e., if you are unable to finish a given distance on time to start the next interval) make note of which interval you started falling behind on and then continue that part of the set but allow yourself 15 second rest between each interval. For example, if you're suppose to do 6 x 100 on 2:15, you might finish the first 100 in 2:10 (giving you a 5 second rest before starting the second 100) and then you finish the second 100 in 2:19) which means you missed the third interval by 4 seconds), make a note that you missed the third interval by 4 seconds and then finish the remaining intervals with a 15 second rest in between instead of sticking to the 2:15 time. Also, let me know which interval you missed and by how much you missed it.

All workouts are freestyle unless otherwise indicated.

Links to drills and some workout basics.
    6-kick switch drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqN3D7YCbZg

Catch up drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fszey7mJSb4

Scull drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC7T53Ncjek

Streamline (dolphin kick): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wG7CEIF64

Finger drag drill: http://youtu.be/OAqBSgMX3es

RI = rest interval. For example, "2 x 25 fly, FAST, :15RI" means swim 25 fly fast and then rest for 15 seconds before starting the second 25 FAST.

dps = distance per stroke. Swim freestyle at an easy pace and concentrate on reaching long at the catch and then pulling all the way to the hip before entering recovery. Focus on a high elbow on the recovery.

b-3 = breathe every 3 strokes.
    b-5 = breathe every 5 strokes.

mpeters

Warm Up: (300 yards)
    1 x 300, your choice stroke

Pre-Set/Drills (400 yards)
    6 x 50 (25 catch up drill, 25 dps), :15RI
    2 x 50 (25 b-3, 25 b-5), :15RI

Main Set (1100 yards)
    8 x 25 on :45
    2 x 100 pull, FAST, :15RI
    4 x 50 on 1:20
    2 x 50 kick, FAST, :15RI
    2 x 100 on 2:10
    2 x
    1 x 25 fly, :15RI
    1 x 25 back, :15RI
    1 x 25 breast, :15RI
    1 x 25 free, :30RI

Cool Down: 100 easy

Total yards: 1900

Panhandle8

Warm Up (300 yards)
    1 x 150, your choice stroke
    1 x 100, your choice pull
    1 x 50, your choice kick

Pre-Set/Drills (200 yards)
    4 x 50 (25 scull drill, 25 catch up drill) :15RI
    4 x 25 catch up drill, :15RI

Main Set (1400 yards)
    10 x 100 @ a comfortable effort (70%), TIMED, 1:00RI (WRITE DOWN YOUR TIMES)
    4 x 25 FAST, :20RI
    1 x 100 easy
    4 x 50 FAST, :20RI

For the 10 x 100s, rest for 1 minute between each 100. Write down your times for each 100 and let me know what they are. Also, let me know how many yards you want to swim per workout.

Total yards: 1900

AquaticQuests

AQ! I can understand not having flippers, but no kick board or pull buoy?! Get two empty 20-ounce plastic water bottles (with the caps on so water doesn't get inside) and duct tape them together, side by side. There's your pull buoy. If you decide to make one, let me know how it goes.

Warm-Up (400 meters)
    1 x 300, your choice stroke
    1 x 100, streamline back kick

Pre-Set/Drills (200 meters)
    4 x 25 catch up drill, :15RI
    4 x 25 finger drag drill, :15RI

Main Set (2,100 meters)
    10 x 25 on :40
    3 x 200, descend 1-3, :20RI
    8 x 25 on :40
    3 x 300, descend 1-3, :20RI
    6 x 25 on :40

Total meters: 2800

EmmaSlan

A distance girl! By the way, what's your pool length - SCY or SCM?

Warm Up (500)
    1 x 100 breast
    1 x 100 back
    1 x 100 free
    4 x 50 kick (25 free, 25 back kick), :15RI

Pre-Set/Drills (200)
    1 x 50 tombstone drill
    1 x 50 (25 catch up drill, 25 6-kick switch drill), :15RI
    1 x 100 (50 b-3, 50 b-5), :15RI

Main Set (2100)
    4 x 25 FAST, on 1:15
    2 x 75 build by 25, :15RI
    4 x 25 FAST, on 1:10
    3 x 150 build by 50, :15RI
    4 x 25 FAST, on 1:05
    4 x 300 build by 100, :15RI

On the builds, build up to 90% effort.
    I'll include some other strokes in the main set next time.

Total yards/meters: 2900

girlwithcurls2

Another distance girl! Woohoo!

Warm Up (300 yards)
    2 x 50, your choice stroke, :15RI
    1 x 100 pull
    1 x 100 kick

Pre-Set/Drills (200 yards)
    4 x 50 (25 b-3, 25 swim your choice stroke), :15RI

Main Set (625 yards)
    1 x 125 (25 free @ a comfortable pace, 100 back kick), :30RI
    1 x 125 (50 free @ a comfortable pace, 75 back kick), :30RI
    1 x 125 (75 free @ a comfortable pace, 50 back kick), :30RI
    1 x 125 (100 free @ a comfortable pace, 25 back kick), :30RI
    1 x 125 free @ a comfortable pace

Cool Down: 75 easy

Total yards: 1200

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Thanks so much!! I'm excited to try mine next week. I'll let you know how it goes. :smile:
  • girlwithcurls2
    This is awesome! Thanks, MsJ! So as a new swimmer, how many times a week do you recommend doing this? I still hope to get to my cardio class in at times, but I'm really excited to start this. A plan! Some direction! Whoop!! :)
  • Ms_J1
    It really depends on what your goals are. If you're trying to improve your physical fitness, 5-6 days a week is needed. But if you're trying to maintain your level of fitness, 3-4 times a week is all you need (of any activity, it doesn't have to be swimming).
  • panhandle8
    Heading out now to do my workout. Will check back in this eve.
  • AquaticQuests
    This is great MS_J1.
    Quick question. What is the time period between each major section ie warm up, pre-set, main set, cool down.
    Does one section flow immediately into the next or is there a break in between?

Oh, and I may get flippers, kick board and pull buoy next wk or thereabouts depending in how much they'll cost me here!
    Haven't gotten them so far, as I've never really needed them for my long swims and sprints, so now that I may need them, will look to get some.

:smile:
  • EmmaSlan
    EmmaSlan Posts: 19 Member
    This is brilliant thank you so much! I swim in a 25 meter pool at the moment. I'll be giving this a go asap :-) Thanks again
  • AquaticQuests
    edited May 2015
    Ok! So I went through quite abit of my workout but was interrupted by a sudden downpour that cut it short.

CONTEXT
    I was swimming in the 33m pool today and not the 25m one. Rather than begin recalculating all the number of lengths, I chose instead to keep the number of lengths the same as they would have been in a 25m pool, meaning the whole workout would be significantly longer than initially envisaged - 3,696m instead of 2,800m

I also increased the time and rest intervals in proportion to the increased distance. So the modified workout looked like this!
    Warm-Up (528m instead of 400 meters)
    1 x 396 (instead of 300), your choice stroke
    1 x 132 (instead of 100), streamline back kick

Pre-Set/Drills (264 meters instead of 200)
    4 x 33 (instead of 25) catch up drill, :20RI (instead of 15RI)
    4 x 33 finger drag drill, :20RI

Main Set (2,772 meters instead of 2,100m)
    10 x 33 on :53 (instead of 10 x 25 on :40)
    3 x 264, descend 1-3, :26RI ( instead of 3 x 200, descend 1-3, :20RI)
    8 x 33 on :53
    3 x 396, descend 1-3, :26RI
    6 x 33 on :53

Cool Down: 132 easy

Total meters: 3,696

Due to the sudden downpour I had to stop halfway through the 8 x 33, before the 3 x 396 long descend so for total yardage covered I had to settle for 2,046m total yardage!

FEEDBACK/ IMPRESSIONS
    1. I initially found the streamline back kick very uncomfortable and had my fair share of water going up by nose, and choked a couple of times, choking on water when attenpting to breathe. I tried to remember the pointers from the videos MS_J1 had put up especially on posture, and I gradually got more comfortable with the drill.
    The drill was helpful as it made me think very specifically about body position and kicking!
    2. I also found the catch up drill awkward (which I guess was a good thing), as I tried to concentrate on lengthening stroke and rotating, against a much slower turnover rate than I have grown accustomed to! Will keep working on this too!
    3. The finger drill was more comfortable, and the combination of the three drills meant I felt it was easier to thereafter fine tune various aspects of the stroke when I began the main set.
    4. The 33s (in place of the 25s): these felt comfortable - perhaps too comfortable, and may need to reduce the time interval.
    5. The descends - woah - I didn't quite finish these, but I could feel I was running into great difficulty with the longest of the descend sets coming up, and when the rain started, it was probably a situation of being "saved by the bell" - Phew!

MOVING FORWARD
    This was a great workout MS_J1.
    I am going to have repeat it in a 25 m pool and complete the whole workout there, and give my impressions.
    I am particularly curious as to how I will handle the long descend sets, as I don't think I was truly increasing the effort threshold as significantly as expected, probably due to fatigue, and the fact that I am not accustomed to holding close to 90% effort for anything more than 50m
    But I can already see the improvements that the drills make, by forcing me to think about certain aspects of my stroke.
    I should also mention that I forgot my MP3 player with it's fixed BPM/SPM playlist, meaning my overall stroke rate throughout the swim was likely lower than I have been training myself to swim, so the whole swim as a result may have felt more leisurely than usual!
    So I shall be swimming this set again in a 25m pool at some point within the next 2 days!

Below is the remnant of my workout list with scribbled adjustments to cater for the difference sized pool, after the rain had it's way with it.
    You should have seen the amused faced in the changing rooms as I held this soaked paper under the hot air hand dryer to dry it out, so I could record what I had scribbled!
    Lol

• AquaticQuests
  • girlwithcurls2
    OK, a couple of quick newbie questions. I thought I understood what to do, but once at the pool and in the water, I realized that I wasn't 100% sure. So, at the risk of sounding utterly ignorant, is b-3 bilateral breathing (right is one stroke, left is #2, right is #3) AND, back kick = ? Kicking on my back. Where are my arms/hands? I just went with it today, figuring it was better to do this and get answers later. I have to say, I LOVED it. It pushed me, but it wasn't me pushing me (I'm not very good at that yet), so I was telling myself, "MsJ thinks you can do this, so do it" and I accomplished much more than I thought I had in me. A great day at the pool. Thanks!!