Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Swim Workouts

2»

Replies

• mpeters1965
    mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
    Way to go guys! I've got mine all ready to go in plastic so I don't end up like AQ. :smile: I also make the font big so I can see it without my glasses. Today was a holiday and I'm swimming Masters tomorrow and Thursday so unless I try to squeeze it in Wednesday, I may have to wait until Friday.

vi6924f8d4e9.jpg
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    Increasing font size. Brilliant! Of course once I got to the pool and put in my contacts, I could barely read it. Luckily my 12-year-old was in the lane next to me--hee, hee! I'm going to reprint. I did put it in plastic though.
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    This is great MS_J1.
    Quick question. What is the time period between each major section ie warm up, pre-set, main set, cool down.
    Does one section flow immediately into the next or is there a break in between?

AQ, the only interval times you need to be concerned about are the ones that are laid out. There is no specified time between the warm up, pre-set, and main set or between each set of intervals. However, try not to rest for more than about 30 seconds before starting the next set of intervals within the main set. You want your heart rate to stay up during the main set.

• Ms_J1
    OK, a couple of quick newbie questions. I thought I understood what to do, but once at the pool and in the water, I realized that I wasn't 100% sure. So, at the risk of sounding utterly ignorant, is b-3 bilateral breathing (right is one stroke, left is #2, right is #3) AND, back kick = ? Kicking on my back. Where are my arms/hands? I just went with it today, figuring it was better to do this and get answers later. I have to say, I LOVED it. It pushed me, but it wasn't me pushing me (I'm not very good at that yet), so I was telling myself, "MsJ thinks you can do this, so do it" and I accomplished much more than I thought I had in me. A great day at the pool. Thanks!!

I think you understand the bilateral breathing correctly. It's stroke stroke, stroke/breathe, stroke, stroke, stroke/breathe, etc.

When you're kicking on your back, your hands should be over your head in a streamline position (or over your head with a kick board, if you streamlining is too difficult for you right now).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRvIDBC6apc
  • Ms_J1
    I'll post more later on these workouts and respond to all of your feedback soon. At the moment, we're having flash flood problems where I live and I am temporarily living as a refuge at my friend's house.
  • panhandle8
    panhandle8 Posts: 65 Member
    I did mine yesterday. I, too used a large plastic zipper bag to keep the workout in. Did some extra fin work too. The only thing I would change would be to eliminate the scull/catch up drills and just swim a longer warm up. I usually do a longer cool down too. I averaged 1:30 for the 100s. I don't have a watch and I couldn't see the pace clock every time. I varied the 100s using 3 different strokes. Thanks for coming up with the workout!
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 947 Member
    Ms_J1 wrote: »
    I'll post more later on these workouts and respond to all of your feedback soon. At the moment, we're having flash flood problems where I live and I am temporarily living as a refuge at my friend's house.
    Sorry to hear about flash floods. Been reading about that in the news!

• Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Hopefully everything ends up OK by you, Ms_J1......
  • Ms_J1
    edited May 2015
    Hi all! Again, I apologize for the long delay in responding back. It's been chaotic here with the weather. Communications were down where I live for a few days. But I am no longer a refugee and all is well now - I'm fine, our house survived, and all is well. I was without a pool for over a week, but I had a great start this morning when swim practice resumed.

I've been giving the workouts some thought and I've decided that from now on, I'm going to let you guys track your own pace and I'll just note pace variations. For example, if you know your 100 yard or meter pace is 2:00, and if I want you to do "2 x 100 on pace - :05", that means swim 2 x 100 on 1:55.

Panhandle8, I don't like drills either but they are necessary for a couple of reasons: 1. they help correct bad stroke technique and, 2. they help reinforce good technique. So, I'm afraid that drills are non-negotiable. However, I promise I'll give you longer warm ups and cool downs from now on.

Macstraw, I welcome any suggestions/criticisms regarding my online "coaching" abilities so PLEASE, feel free to call me on anything you think I'm doing wrong (either privately or publicly).

We're under yet ANOTHER flash flood watch (better than a warning!) but hopefully, I'll have some more workouts ready by the end of the weekend.
  • mpeters1965
    I'm glad all is well. I've been watching the weather and wondering how it was going for you.

I finally got to swim my workout this morning. It was GREAT! 1900 yds in just about 55 minutes. Challenging at points but in a good way. I managed the 2 x 100's on 2:10 in 2:05 for the first and 2:10 for the second so it was a good thing there were only two of them. I would have adjusted if I had to, but I wanted to swim it as written if I could and I did. I swear I could rest for a week after swimming even just 25yds of fly so it's just a good thing that backstroke comes after it.

Thanks so much! This is definitely a keeper workout.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,281 Member
    I got my workout in last night. I headed to the pool early to get the whole thing in before my aquafitness class. It's great MsJ. I can feel that I am pushed, but when I get to the end, I also feel like I accomplished something that I wouldn't have required myself to do. Those back kick drills are no fun (plus I am still not great at tracking myself on my back), but it's all good. Thanks again, and stay safe!!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Ms. J - from where I sit I think you're doing great, but to be honest I'd be deferring to you were I looking to do more than coach a summer rec team for kids. You have obviously really taken a lot from the training you took to coach, & that coupled with your experience as a swimmer is a great combination which makes you a fantastic resource for the people here......
  • EmmaSlan
    EmmaSlan Posts: 19 Member
    I still haven't had a chance to do mine, but I promise I will. I've been struck down with strep throat so it will probably be another week before I'm back in the pool (negotiations with doctor depending). I just wanted to let you know that you didn't go to all that trouble for an ungrateful soandso!
  • Ms_J1
    I'm still here but have a lot on my plate right now (all good but time consuming). Please stand by.
  • AquaticQuests
    No worries MS_J1
    Haven't even gotten round to doing the second run with the 1st one you sent yet!
    So no rush at all!
    :smile:
  • mpeters1965
    Ditto. I just ran through my workout for only the second time this morning. :smiley:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,338 Member
    Hi I'd love this

1. What are your swim goals (specifically and/or generally),

To improve speed and make it through another competitive season without needing surgery on small tear in subscapularis and subluxation of bicep tendon! Another season of gold medals would be great but just staying in one piece would be good at this stage lol

2. What stroke(s) do you swim or prefer to swim,

I swim all strokes but favour backstroke then freestyle. Compete in 50 100 and 200 back 100 200 and 400 free 100 br and 100 and 200 IM

3. How many yards/meters you are currently capable of swimming (for the stroke you swim or prefer to swim) per workout

2500 to 3000m per session mixed

4. Your 100 yards/meters pace (if you know it) of the stroke you swim or prefer to swim OR how long it takes you to swim the distance you swim in a typical workout.

Personal best times as below
    100m free 1.13
    100m back 1.22
    100m br 1.39
    100m fly probably 1.43
    100m IM 1.24
  • SwimtotheEnd
    SwimtotheEnd Posts: 69 Member
    1. What are your swim goals (specifically and/or generally),

Did huge amount of training last year and got good results. Lost my MoJo and am keen for it to return.

To get back to endurance fitness at a quick pace. Generally race between 2km - 10km

2. What stroke(s) do you swim or prefer to swim,

Freestyle, with a little bit of backstroke to ease the shoulders at the end

3. How many yards/meters you are currently capable of swimming (for the stroke you swim or prefer to swim) per workout

5km workout would be okay

4. Your 100 yards/meters pace (if you know it) of the stroke you swim or prefer to swim OR how long it takes you to swim the distance you swim in a typical workout.

For interval training (of 20 x 100m) I'd be doing 1m40s for 100m now, but hopefully get back to 1m35s quickly and then pushing it when fit 1m30s
  • AquaticQuests
    Welcome back Swimtotheend aka a speedy Gonzalez!
    Good to see you on here again!