Crisis!

Options
Sajyana
Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
All the bacon! It's gone!

No more in the fridge. None in the freezer. A few lonely crumbs left in the bacon container is all that remains to tell the tale of the bacon era.

:s

Replies

• glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Surely some store with a meat selection is still open at this hour? Hurry!!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I'm always so sad when the bacon is gone. :disappointed: It's like a good friend has moved away.
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I hate those days, the other day i had to drag myself to the store because i was about to make breakfast and there were no eggs!! UGH!
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I buy bacon a kg at a time, and I always buy two packets and hide one in the vegetable crisper. The bloody kids will eat it all otherwise.
  • Keto_T
    Keto_T Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    3 packs in the fridge.....just calling my name, taunting me with all its bacon-y goodness
  • annalisbeth74
    annalisbeth74 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I was reading up on how to make bacon jerky last night, and was very sad when I realized I forgot to buy bacon this week. :(
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    You can come to New Zealand and I will cook mine for you if you like? It makes me feel sick :-(.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    My husband is not LC, yet still insists on getting an equal share of the bacon. If it weren't for him, I'd never run out :(
  • AreteAndWhimsy
    AreteAndWhimsy Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    @minties82 I'm finding the New Zealand bacon REALLY WEIRD. It's not smoky, it's too salty, and almost no fat renders out of it, even if it's a fatty cut. I've lived in the US and England as well, and I don't care what cut of bacon it is, it's just very strange here. I've had to go through a lot of really un-tasty bacon in order to find cuts and companies that deliver a product that I can eat more than a bite or two of.
  • yeswehave8
    yeswehave8 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    With a house full, I buy it 6 pks at a time and freeze it.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    My husband is not LC, yet still insists on getting an equal share of the bacon. If it weren't for him, I'd never run out :(

Lol. Sounds just like mine. I always tell him "I really bought this for myself!"

Thanks goodnes our neighborhood grocery store is open 24hrs. I'd probably pull my hair out if I needed bacon and couldn't get it anytime.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @minties82 I'm finding the New Zealand bacon REALLY WEIRD. It's not smoky, it's too salty, and almost no fat renders out of it, even if it's a fatty cut. I've lived in the US and England as well, and I don't care what cut of bacon it is, it's just very strange here. I've had to go through a lot of really un-tasty bacon in order to find cuts and companies that deliver a product that I can eat more than a bite or two of.

That's quite interesting! I've never been keen on pork, I wonder if something in how we raise pigs here or make pork products makes them taste odd? I.also find bacon to taste much too salty. Years ago I had some delicious bacon that was tender, smokey and almost honey-ish, I can't find anything like it now in a good price range. Sometimes streaky bacon is ok, depending on the brand. But so expensive

I see everyone on here loving bacon and feel left out!
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    shai74 wrote: »
    ...I always buy two packets and hide one in the vegetable crisper. The bloody kids will eat it all otherwise.

I do the same thing with my husband. :D
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    yeah. there is no making bacon without sharing in THIS house!
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    shai74 wrote: »
    ...I always buy two packets and hide one in the vegetable crisper. The bloody kids will eat it all otherwise.

I do the same thing with my husband. :D

Yeah, I bought some shelf stable precooked bacon at Aldi a couple weeks ago and hid one box in the cupboard where I knew hubby wouldn't look. When I pulled it out and cooked it this weekend, he said, "Hey, I didn't know we had any bacon left!" I told him I hid it in plain sight because I didn't want him to eat it all during the week while I was at work. :tongue:
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    yeah. there is no making bacon without sharing in THIS house!

I have to share with husband, 3-year-old, and almost-2-year-old. *sigh* My teenager thinks she's a vegetarian.....
    minties82 wrote: »

That's quite interesting! I've never been keen on pork, I wonder if something in how we raise pigs here or make pork products makes them taste odd? I.also find bacon to taste much too salty. Years ago I had some delicious bacon that was tender, smokey and almost honey-ish, I can't find anything like it now in a good price range. Sometimes streaky bacon is ok, depending on the brand. But so expensive

I see everyone on here loving bacon and feel left out!

I eat pork at least once a week, but I have to be in a certain mood to eat bacon, and even then I like it extremely thin and crispy. There's something about it that doesn't sit right with me....
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Does the lingering stale smell of bacon bother anyone else? I love bacon, don't get me wrong...and have been using the oven method in hopes of eliminating some of the smell. But I hate when I can still smell it hanging in the air hours after it's been made. Maybe it's just me...I also live within a few blocks of Patrick Cudahy, so maybe it's the overload of bacon in the air of the neighborhood certain days on top of bacon in my tiny apartment. All of this is still totally worth it for the sweet sweet taste of bacon :)
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    In the UK I discovered this week that marks and Spencer do precooked super thin crispy beechwood smoked bacon that (perhaps unsurprisingly) tastes and feels exactly like smoky bacon flavour crisps (chips to you US folk). It was amazing...have a pack in the fridge at work for tomorrow! I never understood he point of precooked bacon before, but I now know I could never get bacon so finely sliced to make it myself. Mmmmmm
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    yeswehave8 wrote: »
    With a house full, I buy it 6 pks at a time and freeze it.

holy crap! Where do you live and how much is bacon there? Bacon here is (good bacon) is anywhere from 6$-12$ (or more at farmers market) for a package!!

Needless to say, I don't eat bacon.
  • gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    Does the lingering stale smell of bacon bother anyone else? I love bacon, don't get me wrong...and have been using the oven method in hopes of eliminating some of the smell. But I hate when I can still smell it hanging in the air hours after it's been made. Maybe it's just me...I also live within a few blocks of Patrick Cudahy, so maybe it's the overload of bacon in the air of the neighborhood certain days on top of bacon in my tiny apartment. All of this is still totally worth it for the sweet sweet taste of bacon :)

Nope. You're not the only one. I like the taste too, especially with my eggs, but I don't not like it as an "air fresherner" kind of smell all over my house hours later.

When I cook it, I also cook it in the over. I put a bowl of white vinegar on the stop top (not the element) and another on the other side of the kitchen while it cooks. It helps to reduce some of the lingering smell. Doesn't totally eliminate, but does make a noticeable difference in our house.

Works for frying onions as well.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I bought 25 lbs of fresh pork belly that the butcher sliced up. I bake it with sea salt and sage. It's $3.99/lb this way, and freakin' delicious!