Crisis!

Options
2»

Replies

• Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    :) All the bacon love. I buy bacon in bulk. I found a farmer who woodsmokes so I buy 10kg a time and generally have packs in the freezer. I cook a heap at a time and keep in the "bacon container" in the fridge. My teenage son inhales it. There was none. :( I'm making do with supermarket bacon until I can get another order filled.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    I bought 25 lbs of fresh pork belly that the butcher sliced up. I bake it with sea salt and sage. It's $3.99/lb this way, and freakin' delicious!

We pretty much have nothing in the way of butchers here where I live. I hate it. I grew up on butcher meats. I want pork belly so bad, but have to find time to hit the farmer's market (not happening, I work 5-2 every Saturday morning) so I can try to make contacts with local pig breeders.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I bought 25 lbs of fresh pork belly that the butcher sliced up. I bake it with sea salt and sage. It's $3.99/lb this way, and freakin' delicious!

We pretty much have nothing in the way of butchers here where I live. I hate it. I grew up on butcher meats. I want pork belly so bad, but have to find time to hit the farmer's market (not happening, I work 5-2 every Saturday morning) so I can try to make contacts with local pig breeders.

Have you tried looking for a co-op online?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Can u really be sersous?Over my dead body! I thnk it's working!!!!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    What ?
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    NO BUTCHER'S!! That's what's what, lol!
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    lol....I didn't know what the heck you were talking about !
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I buy at least 10 lb of bacon each week, because my six kids all want in on the action everytime a slice goes in the microwave. I've been able to find it for $3/lb sometimes--the uncured brand, but not pork belly. That sounds awesome!

I cook it in the microwave, and it nearly eliminates the lingering after-odor. But my microwave is drenched in fat.
  • iam4life
    iam4life Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I bought a second microwave for non bacon use so I don't have to clean it so often. Isn't that lazy??
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    gsp90x wrote: »
    nikoba wrote: »
    Does the lingering stale smell of bacon bother anyone else? I love bacon, don't get me wrong...and have been using the oven method in hopes of eliminating some of the smell. But I hate when I can still smell it hanging in the air hours after it's been made. Maybe it's just me...I also live within a few blocks of Patrick Cudahy, so maybe it's the overload of bacon in the air of the neighborhood certain days on top of bacon in my tiny apartment. All of this is still totally worth it for the sweet sweet taste of bacon :)

Nope. You're not the only one. I like the taste too, especially with my eggs, but I don't not like it as an "air fresherner" kind of smell all over my house hours later.

When I cook it, I also cook it in the over. I put a bowl of white vinegar on the stop top (not the element) and another on the other side of the kitchen while it cooks. It helps to reduce some of the lingering smell. Doesn't totally eliminate, but does make a noticeable difference in our house.

Works for frying onions as well.

Great to know! We close all the doors in our apartment, otherwise the bed sheets and all our clothes smell like bacon for a week!
  • ea101367
    ea101367 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I cook bacon in my Forman grill. Perfect every time and easy to collect all that yummy bacon fat!! When I need to cook larger amounts the Barbeque works for me, just line with foil for easy clean up. I also cannot stand the smell that lingers throughout the house all day!
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @gsp90x... awesome suggestion, will definitely try that this weekend.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Have you tried looking for a co-op online?

I have, with ambiguous results at best. Hence why I want to try the farmer's market.