Searching for the right mix...

Options

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    Happy for you, hope you end up with heaps more cals. to play with :)
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Great report!
  • lovesretirement
    lovesretirement Posts: 2,661 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Hi there!

I have just completed my second week of increase. It was harder this week, I think. I struggled to eat enough and keep it healthy at the same time.

Week's average cals: 2015
    My weight increased some mid week going from 225 Monday to 227 Wednesday-Saturday.
    Sunday and this morning back to 226.2.

I felt my resolve weakening last week, but despite that, I will bump up to 2200 this week and try to get there.
    Should I try to go higher than that this week? Any suggestions on what to eat that's not junk eating?

I did read many of these threads again throughout the week. I was searching for folks at my weight who had success with this process. Most entries I read were folks already well UNDER 200 and (who were at what I would consider my goal weight) starting/going through this process.

Still sleeping well and am fueled for workouts!
    I know that eating less is not the answer, and I am trying to trust the process.

Thanks for any and all responses.
    Connie

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    I suppose you need more protein? If so here is a good list to select from Eat, Train, Progress group's sarauk2sf:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/926789/protein-sources/
  • lovesretirement
    Options
    @retirehappy..thanks! I think I'm okay on the protein..195 grams in today's menu! It's filling in the meals with food that stays within carb/fat macros that's difficult for me. If I were eating lots of junk, I would have no problem with 2,000+ calories...like getting a Sonic Oreo blast at 1,000 calories would be ideal! :#
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over with carbs or fat - it's the protein you need to focus on. AND don't worry about having some treats in there. Do what is sustainable for life - I eat a few sweets, drink wine and beer...as long as my protein is good and I'm eating mainly in a 'healthy' manner.

Have you gone on the main EM2WL website and checked out their testimonials? You'll find quite a few people who were above 200 lb and went on to success.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about going over with carbs or fat - it's the protein you need to focus on. AND don't worry about having some treats in there. Do what is sustainable for life - I eat a few sweets, drink wine and beer...as long as my protein is good and I'm eating mainly in a 'healthy' manner.

Have you gone on the main EM2WL website and checked out their testimonials? You'll find quite a few people who were above 200 lb and went on to success.

This is it right here!
  • lovesretirement
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have been combing the threads for this and cannot seem to find the answer though I know it is here somewhere...

When will I know that I have reached my maintenance? Is it when I reach a point when the scale number will not drop back down?

I'm close to finishing my third week. The high has reached 227.6 but still drops to 226.2 or so. I started at 226.
    I've done well with reaching the 2200 cals this week on most days. But, I am bloated. :s

I am going to drop 60 minutes (one of the aquafits) from my exercise routine as I was really tired last week. I am keeping everything else including the body pump classes 2x a week, though..they are intense and the reason I need to drop something.

Thanks!
    Connie
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    You'll know you are at maintenance when the next calorie increase (~250 calories) causes a sustainable 1 lb weight increase. Then you know you crossed maintenance and are now in surplus.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    2 week 250 test.
    After being at what you think is TDEE for a couple weeks, and not seeing any change on valid weigh-in days...
    Eat 250 more calories daily for 2 weeks.
    Should only gain 1 lb slowly if prior level was indeed TDEE.
    And with those workouts - not even fat weight totally.
    If no gain of only 1 lb, prior level wasn't TDEE.
    Test again.

If fast water weight gain or more than 1 lb - topped off glucose stores. Which wouldn't need topping off if prior level was maintenance.

Also measure, I wouldn't be surprised if your body is making some improvements now while dropping fat, though weight stays the same..
  • lovesretirement
    Options
    Thanks!
  • lovesretirement
    Options
    Okay...heading into the 4th week of increase.

-My average calorie intake for the week was roughly 2200.
    -My daily weight fluctuated from 222.2-227.6.

Today it jumped to 229.4 but I attribute this to eating out twice this past weekend and having the Oreo blast TWICE..Friday and Sunday. :s

This week I am jumping up to 2500 cals but I don't want to fill with junk or eating out more than I normally do.

I feel better today than last Monday. I had more rest days last week than the week before which lets me know that I need to exercise 4 days a week rather than 5.

I'm still nervous about when I going to get to the top of the mountain (maintenance) and how I can possibly eat anymore than I am.

Is it normal not to gain a lot getting to maintenance?

It is so strange how when I was not trying to lose weight, eating was NOT a problem and I never wondered and/or cared how many calories I ate. Now that I CAN eat to try to get to that long- forgotten- point, I am stressing over what to eat and afraid to go over a certain amount. Go figure...

Connie

• lovesretirement
    Options
    Correction on daily weight...NOT 222.2 but 226.2.

My lowest has never been 222...wishful thinking, I guess.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    For me that was the case. I did not gain much getting to maintenance. Mostly it was water weight or glycogen stores filling up. It normally settled pretty quickly. I've been at maintenance or slightly above for 10 weeks with only about 3lbs of sustained weight gain.
  • heybales
    Options
    Also be aware that if your TDEE was initially based on 5 days of exercise and time spent doing it - switching to 4 days means your estimated TDEE is lower now.

Don't go up to the level based on 5 days if only doing 4 days of workouts.
  • lovesretirement
    Options
    Yes...I changed to 3-5 hours moderate which changes the TDEE to 2552. So if I am eating 2500 this week, should my weight begin to stabilize in a another week or so?

Thanks,
    Connie
  • heybales
    Options
    Usually the water weight that comes as a result of topping off glucose stores maxes out at 1-2 lbs, and more of that the first couple weeks increase, though a tad more with each increase too, but usually too small.

If the eating more means increased sodium levels too, there's some extra water retained. And that's even if it's just fine normal levels, but if compared to very low prior, it'll appear as extra water weight the whole time.

The weight gained because for a few days you are actually eating above your suppressed TDEE would be so small it wouldn't show up either on it's own.

So it really should be at stabilizing, outside other factors.
    Like if more outdoor in the heat time sweating, blood volume can go up a pound in water.
    Or workouts have gotten more intense so more water held for repair, or even more glucose stores being created than you had prior.
  • lovesretirement
    Options
    I apparently entered the wrong info in Scooby.
    For 3-5 hours of moderate activity, TDEE is 2273.
    At 2500 cals, I'm eating above that this week.

I guess that will be the 250 test, huh?
    Just ready to get there, stay there, then cut. :D
  • heybales
    Options
    Uh oh - I sense possibly starting to enjoy the extra food!

That makes it so difficult later.

Maybe eat extra cals as only the worst vegetables cooked the worst ways. ;-)

What are those little green steamed slime balls. ugh
  • lovesretirement
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Either I losing my mind from excess eating or a magic genie is changing the numbers, but I just checked Scooby again and for 3-5 hours moderate activity for me TDEE is 2546! (Sigh)