JUNE 2015 - Move Your @ss Challenge

Options

Replies

• clepant
    clepant Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    Now on to business, got a great ride in today. I also signed up for the 1/2 century cancer bike ride in Central Oregon next month. As a cancer survivor this one is extremely important to me. Some of you might remember last year that after 3 crashes in the first 7 miles (MTB) that I made it to 36 miles and went DNF with injuries. Now I know I have a new road bike but am apprehensive about riding in this event. My son will be with me again, but........I am scared that I will DNF again. I live in the valley, this ride will be on the high desert elevation 3800 feet. Elevation gain of over 2400 feet, not sure how to train for it. I will go, and suck it up and ride, I just hope I can get comfortable and enjoy the ride.

Forget about last year and enjoy this ride! As far as training, you should be building up to longer rides each week going forward, with little riding the last 4 days or so before the ride. I would throw in some hill repeats a few times to help make the climbing less painful (notice I didn't say easier!) Honestly though, the only thing that makes hills easier is riding more hills. HAVE FUN!!!

@anaconda469: I agree with Just_Ceci. I would stress some hill training and even throw in some tempo changes with some faster speed with slower rests between. It's all about building stamina and of course those muscles.
  • wanderan
    wanderan Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    adding 9.51 miles

exercise.png
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    hkristine1 wrote: »
    =============================
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:
    http://tinyurl.com/myac201402

@anaconda469 - Best of luck on the half-century! When will you be doing it? I'm going to be in Central Oregon several times this summer - if I'm there at the time, would love to treat you to a beverage after you cross that finish line! :drinker:

@taxmom9093 - I'm glad you're feeling better!!

The ride is July 11, the Tour des Chutes cancer bike ride in Bend Oregon. I would love to meet up with you sometime, but I don't drink alcohol but I am a sucker for a Dutch Brothers. Something happened today that might change all of that. See following post.

• anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    In a horrendous crash today going down hill. Was knocked out, but the helmet saved my life. Don't remember anything from when the crash first started to the paramedics arriving. My helmet is completely destroyed, bike is OK, it got an ambulance ride too. My face looks just horrible and I am stiff and sore all over. Don't know how long I was out, but CAT scan showed no brain injury or skull fractures, and xrays show I didn't break my right shoulder. Serious contusions on my collarbones but neither one broke. Thank the good lord my helmet saved my life as the impact was in the front of my helmet, the visor was completely destroyed and the front of the helmet is compressed. I am alive today for that simple piece of equipment. I don't know when I am going to be back on the bike, but somehow I will try to hit my goal this month, but may not. We'll see. Well farewell green....... :'(:'(:'(

06/01 - 2.0 miles walking
    06/02 - 2.0 miles walking
    06/03 - 14.0 miles cycling
    06/04 - 15.0 miles cycling
    06/05 - 5.0 miles cycling

Total: 38.0 miles

exercise.png

uckwnqm89p6u.jpg
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    @anaconda469 - HOLY CRAP woman! I'm so glad you're ok. That's terrifying!!! That's one of the reasons I have yet to start riding outside... It's just terrifying. Really, so glad you're OK. wow.
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    @anaconda469 I'm glad you're ok - battered and bruised maybe, and a little stiff - thank goodness for helmets.
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    @anaconda469 - Amazing you're still talking to us. Don't rush coming back. Make sure you take your time and do it right. We need you healed by the Tour de France. :smile:
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    5.34 miles walked

39.74 miles walked to date
  • sufferlandrian
    sufferlandrian Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Adding another 37 miles for 70 out of 400.

exercise.png

• Lovemyalex
    Lovemyalex Posts: 3,798 Member
    Options
    In a horrendous crash today going down hill. Was knocked out, but the helmet saved my life. Don't remember anything from when the crash first started to the paramedics arriving. My helmet is completely destroyed, bike is OK, it got an ambulance ride too. My face looks just horrible and I am stiff and sore all over. Don't know how long I was out, but CAT scan showed no brain injury or skull fractures, and xrays show I didn't break my right shoulder. Serious contusions on my collarbones but neither one broke. Thank the good lord my helmet saved my life as the impact was in the front of my helmet, the visor was completely destroyed and the front of the helmet is compressed. I am alive today for that simple piece of equipment. I don't know when I am going to be back on the bike, but somehow I will try to hit my goal this month, but may not. We'll see. Well farewell green....... :'(:'(:'(

06/01 - 2.0 miles walking
    06/02 - 2.0 miles walking
    06/03 - 14.0 miles cycling
    06/04 - 15.0 miles cycling
    06/05 - 5.0 miles cycling

Total: 38.0 miles

exercise.png

uckwnqm89p6u.jpg

So very glad your guardian angel was by your side... Please take care of yourself... Don't worry about your goal... This team will take care of that area... Trust me... I will give all bonus mile to you ... :) ....
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    06/01: rowing 1km, stationary bike 24.8km
    06/02: rowing 1km
    06/04: elliptical trainer 1.1km, stationary bike 25.7km
    06/05: rowing 1km, stationary bike 22.5km
    06/06: Nordic walking 6.28km

Total: 83.38km
    Left: 216.62km

exercise.png
  • tahm42
    tahm42 Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options

exercise.png

• rainydayworkout
    rainydayworkout Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    June 4 - 5.13 miles
    June 5 - 6.51 miles

exercise.png

• cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,265 Member
    Options
    @anaconda469 I'm so glad you are okay! Take it slow and easy and follow the doc's instructions.

Chris
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,148 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    @anaconda469 Ouch! So glad you're okay. And happy you had a great helmet. Don't worry about your miles, we can definitely help. I took a cycling class for the first time in many years this week, and that would be a good incentive for me to try to do it more often.

As for me, 5.2 mile run/walk. Tried to get under ten mins and got 9:34 which is my second fastest time so far. I'd swear the 75 degree weather spiked 20 degrees when I was out there. And that was weaving around 3 dogs and a wheelchair, two of the dogs I see often and like to pet, but blew them off since I was close to the end of the mile.

exercise.png

• vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    @anaconda469, wow that is horrible! So glad you are here to tell us how scary & how sore you are! Take it easy & do some serious hot tub soaks! You also showed me the importance of wearing a helmet! I live rural where I can ride on asphalt & maybe see a car once in awhile so I have NEVER worn a helmet. I guess I best invest!
  • JTH11706
    JTH11706 Posts: 2,909 Member
    Options
    SPREADSHEET UPDATED TO HERE

See (but not edit) the
    spreadsheet here:
    http://tinyurl.com/myac201402

@ anaconda - Wow. So glad you are ok. Please do follow doctor's orders.
    @ vhuber - yes, please buy a helmet. Even though you never see cars you could have an accident. My neighbor took a head first tumble when he hit a rock.

I've been walking or running 3 or 4 miles a day but I won't be back in the green until I make up for missing the first day of June. Maybe today.

exercise.png
  • jennwhite34
    jennwhite34 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    yZZcm6.png
  • k80flec
    k80flec Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    June
    65 miles between elliptical and stationary bike (and purposeful walking)

1st: 4.09 miles stationary bike MTD 4.09
    2nd: 4.28 miles stationary bike MTD 8.37
    3rd: 10 miles purposeful walking MTD 18.37
    4th: 5 miles purposeful walking MTD 23.37
    5th: 5 miles purposeful walking MTD 28.37
    6th: 8.95 miles stationary bike MTD 37.32

exercise.png
  • scarfe9991
    scarfe9991 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    @anaconda469 I am so sorry but I am so glad your helmet saved your life! Geez Louise, so very scary!!! Hugs to you!!

This discussion has been closed.