Q&A Thread for June

Options
12346»

Replies

• belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I have a question I have been primaly running for the last few years mainly to loose weight and stress reliver. I have re-started the Strong Lifts program totally novice when it comes to weight training. I am enjoying it but sometimes it does not feel like a work out when I am done. The weights are getting heavier when I am on my last rep pushing hard to finish it. Should I encourporate some assistance excersises? I still am running just not as often or as far do the soreness of my legs. I can tell allready some muscle definiton is taking place so can my wife (big benefit there) so I am progressing. I am not stalling on my increase in weights yet.
  • Daisy253
    Daisy253 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Weight training 1hr in the am and elliptical 1 hr in the pm. Yay or nay?? Will the cardio impact muscle growth and recovery??
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Daisy253 wrote: »
    Weight training 1hr in the am and elliptical 1 hr in the pm. Yay or nay?? Will the cardio impact muscle growth and recovery??

Might add how intense do you do it - because that matters.

And are you in a diet, or at maintenance, or surplus - matters too.

And if in diet, how much of a deficit on average - matters too.

• Daisy253
    Options
    Surplus, just using it to increase steps on weight training days really and wondering if I just shouldn't. I go for more resistance/ incline/ intensity on other days.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

What is the intensity?
  • Daisy253
    Options
    Low on weight training days, like level 1 up to 3. Much much higher on non weight training days.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    I have a question I have been primaly running for the last few years mainly to loose weight and stress reliver. I have re-started the Strong Lifts program totally novice when it comes to weight training. I am enjoying it but sometimes it does not feel like a work out when I am done. The weights are getting heavier when I am on my last rep pushing hard to finish it. Should I encourporate some assistance excersises? I still am running just not as often or as far do the soreness of my legs. I can tell allready some muscle definiton is taking place so can my wife (big benefit there) so I am progressing. I am not stalling on my increase in weights yet.

How long ago did you start SL?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Low on weight training days, like level 1 up to 3. Much much higher on non weight training days.

I would keep the intensity low to moderate on all days unless you have a specific endurance goal. Higher intensity/duration cardio can interfere with muscle growth, especially if you are at a deficit - not as much as some people make out, and it will not stop muscle growth (unless extreme), but it can slow it down. It really depends on priorities.
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Since a sedentary lifestyle is a factor in determining your TDEE, would low blood pressure also factor into the equation?
  • belgerian
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

How long ago did you start SL?[/quote

A month into it. Thanks for any advice offered.
  • heybales
    Options
    giusa wrote: »
    Since a sedentary lifestyle is a factor in determining your TDEE, would low blood pressure also factor into the equation?

One is about calories burned in average amount of activities that is estimated a sedentary person does.

The other would be a medical issue perhaps, but would not effect calorie burn estimates, beyond what it prevented you from doing perhaps.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

To be honest, I do not really know. My gut reaction is that it may cause it to be lower, but that I could totally pulling that out of my ar$e.
  • Sarauk2sf
    edited June 2015
    Options

It will become heavier and therefore harder and have you feeling like you worked out soon.

I would settle into the routine and after a few months, see how you feel and how much time it is taking before thinking about adding assists. Often time is the issue - I know that if I do 3 big compounds, it takes me a few hours to get through the session. I tend to do my assists in the evening (I do not run a 5x5 but do compound based full body workouts).
  • heybales
    Options

I think I see the issue here.

Sedentary as a lifestyle is not a factor in determining your TDEE, and neither would low blood pressure.

Sedentary is an activity level that includes a certain amount of movement in it, and as such is a multiplier used with your BMR to estimate a TDEE.
    The popular Mifflin TDEE table from the 1919 study uses 1.2 as that BMR multiplier.
    MFP with more recent research uses 1.25 x BMR.
    Other sites use values around there.

Those with activity trackers seem to find about 10,000 steps daily reaches that same calorie burn as Sedentary activity level on MFP would cause.

Now, if low blood pressure means you are Dr ordered to not be that physical, and you would say get 5000 steps average - then indeed, your TDEE is likely lower than Sedentary would have estimated.
    But that would be the same as having a broken leg say.
    It would not factor in to the equation in either case - but it sure would change the reality of what occurs.
  • heybales
    Options
    Edit to correct above - Harris TDEE table. Mifflin was the later BMR that was update to the Harris BMR, but same table is used.
  • belgerian
    Options

It will become heavier and therefore harder and have you feeling like you worked out soon.

I would settle into the routine and after a few months, see how you feel and how much time it is taking before thinking about adding assists. Often time is the issue - I know that if I do 3 big compounds, it takes me a few hours to get through the session. I tend to do my assists in the evening (I do not run a 5x5 but do compound based full body workouts).

Thank you for the advice Ill give it more time, also I have noticed what I thought was heavy really is not, as I am adding more weights and seeing what I can really do. I am capable of doing more than my mind tells me I can.