Not A Lifestyle

Options
13»

Replies

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    As far as fruits go for me, they are a no-no this early in my transition (almost 2 months this time around). Because I know I will way overindulge on watermelon, cherries and pineapple if I let myself have a little. Maybe by next summer I will have developed the willpower to have a taste! :wink: (Plus I hope to have reached my goal weight by then)
    I could probably live forever never having another potato or sweet potato and I have never cared for cooked carrots! In fact, other than an occasional salad, I could probably do without any veggies on my plate. It is a matter of taste. I don't have a psychological aversion or anything - I just like meat better.
    I wish you good luck with whatever level of LCHF you choose, but know that it is a sustainable lifestyle.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I guess I was saying it isn't a lifestyle, because I do love fruits and vegetables. I mean, I'm from Nebraska where corn is everything. Nothing better than steak, corn on the cob, and watermelon in the summer time. I guess I never really thought that "fruit" or "vegetables" are now going to be considered a "cheat" for me. I understand fitting food into your macros for the day. I've done CICO for nearly 2 years, so I can budget.

Also, I am in taking saturated fat and not really sure how to reduce it and that does scare me in the long run.

Most veggies are low carb. I still eat fruits in moderation, especially berries. If you like apples, eat the skin and leave most of the carb core.

There is an association with saturated fat and high LDL for some people. And there is a link between high LDL and plaque formation. So, if you see your LDL go up, try reducing your saturated fat. Google for foods with high MUFA content.

(BTW, Volek found that a LCHF diet actually reduces SFA in the blood even with increased SFA intake.)

But I think the key to remember is that it's really the combination of high carbs and high calories that cause health issues for a lot of people. If you can keep your calorie intake low, that frees you to increase your carb intake. Of course, many people find that increasing their carb intake increases their hunger and calorie intake, so it's a bit of a Catch-22.

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    pedidiva wrote: »
    Jaycie, why do you not think that this is not a balanced way of eating? Many renown nutritionists do not have a problem with the LCHF lifestyle. You can get the carbs form non-starchy vegetables. The brain functions well on fats.

Harvard University has come out with a study that states that heart disease does not come from fats, but rather from Carbohydrates, Alan Keye's research (which touted fat as bad) has been disproven.

High Triglycerides and cholesterol can come form thyroid dysfunction.

YMMV.

This is a nice video about low carb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkdFkPxxDG8

I guess I was saying it isn't a lifestyle, because I do love fruits and vegetables. I mean, I'm from Nebraska where corn is everything. Nothing better than steak, corn on the cob, and watermelon in the summer time. I guess I never really thought that "fruit" or "vegetables" are now going to be considered a "cheat" for me. I understand fitting food into your macros for the day. I've done CICO for nearly 2 years, so I can budget.

Also, I am in taking saturated fat and not really sure how to reduce it and that does scare me in the long run.

FYI, corn isn't a vegetable. It's a grain.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Most veggies are low carb. I still eat fruits in moderation, especially berries. If you like apples, eat the skin and leave most of the carb core.

There is an association with saturated fat and high LDL for some people. And there is a link between high LDL and plaque formation. So, if you see your LDL go up, try reducing your saturated fat. Google for foods with high MUFA content.

(BTW, Volek found that a LCHF diet actually reduces SFA in the blood even with increased SFA intake.)

But I think the key to remember is that it's really the combination of high carbs and high calories that cause health issues for a lot of people. If you can keep your calorie intake low, that frees you to increase your carb intake. Of course, many people find that increasing their carb intake increases their hunger and calorie intake, so it's a bit of a Catch-22.

While it is true that some people are hyper-responders, I still wouldn't jump on that bandwagon without an LDL-P and/or VAP test, first.

It's already known that LDL as measured by the standard test, goes up on an LCHF diet, but it's due to the fact that the LDL particles switch to Pattern A, which are large and fluffy and similar to HDL. Pattern A LDL particles are not associated with increased CVD risk.

Additionally, the formula for calculating LDL is known to be off when triglycerides are below 100, artificially inflating the LDL number to begin with.

@FIT_Goat already mentioned it, but it's worth reiterating -- half of the body's fat stores consist of saturated fatty acids, regardless of diet. That means that even if you ate no fat, whatsoever, if your body is burning body fat, roughly half of that fat will be saturated fats.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Sugar does not like me. So having much of it in my diet throws it outbid balance

My body does well with fibrous vegetables for carbs. And I eat a small ammount of low carb tortilla shells in a week, fajitas are yummy

60-80 carbs and around 1800 calories s day. Under my calorie target of course and exercise 4-5 days a week

115 lbs lost in @ 18 months

It works long term for me

I pick food based on total nutrient value, not just carbs or calories alone. B

It is a great healthy lifestyle !