Keto: Fringe or Mainstream?

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    It is more accepted but I expect the masses will hang on to carbs until death.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    I wish people would trash the Statin brigade too.

I thought at first it said the Stalin brigade, and I was wondering what communism had to do with anything. Lol

Like Stalin there will be many deaths caused by Statins.

There is no evidence of benefit of Statins in women, so the ladies should have shorter arguments.
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I believe keto will always be fringe. Low carb however which in many studies I have seen claim it to be 150 - 200 carbs will probably be what is recommended instead of low fat. Hopefully it will be more of a whole foods revolution which would benefit everyone including the cico crowd. Of course most people here know that is way too high to reap the full health benefits of low carb by avoiding sugary/starchie foods.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I think it's just something you gravitate towards once you discover low carb. It's not for everyone and I only dabble in it but there's something in it - I just know that after 15+ years of CICO didn't work and made me miserable and fat.

It's not that fringe any more. Everyone has heard of low carb and no-one raises an eyebrow in restaurants when you tell them to hold the fries or you want the burger with no bun. It's here to stay. Even if most people aren't into the science and the biohacking.

As for doctors, well mine told me I'd be best off looking into a low fat diet this week. I nearly laughed. Yeah, loads of 'whole grain carbs' and a little lean chicken? Road to miserytown!

Great post Slim. I totally agree with two of your points. And on the third, see below.

1) Ditto on the lo-fat diets. I did at least 3 major ones that I lost at least 20% of my weight. But not only was I miserable, when I got to my goal weight, I didn't maintain it for more than a month at most. Then I would swear never to do it again (I would relent many years later when I had forgotten how bad it was) then I would of it all over again (what is the definition of insane?)

3d9ftysvzpl7.png

2) Whenever I go to a restaurant, I always state I am lo carb and tell them I can't eat carbs, usually telling them to substitute stuff for the carbage. I want the terminology of lo-carb to be well known at restaurants. I have already met two waitresses who did lo-carb. One of them lost 80 lbs. The other showed me before and after pics.

3) Both of my doctors are JUST NOW coming around on the lo-carb thing. (Two years ago they wouldn't have). My diabetic doctor gave me his personal e-mail address and I sent him some websites about it. and he actually looked at them.

Dan the Man from Michigan
    It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

• DittoDan
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    <snip>
    However, as soon as I mention the amount of fat I eat, these people lose interest in what I am telling them, stating that this diet not good for me. <snip>

Kitn, what you mention here is so true! And there's a funny YouTube video that reflects this:

LCHF is the XXXX (A funny animated explantion of the Keto WOE)

Enjoy,

• greenautumn17
    greenautumn17 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be having an involved procedure and overnight stay at the hospital this week and I'm a little more than hesitant about telling my cardiologist what my diet is. If my cholesterol has raised, I know I'll have the statin fight again. And what in the world will I eat from the hospital cardiac menu? Yikes. I'm hoping I can fake it and keep my dietary info to myself.

Which means that people in my world are still of the low-fat-healthy-grains variety. My sister thinks I'm about killing myself not eating carbs. And so much fat!! I don't mention it anymore. I haven't lost enough weight for anyone to notice, so they're not asking questions.

I don't know what procedure you are having done but if you re only going to be in overnight, you could just not eat?
  • greenautumn17
    Options

This. There are so many mainstream websites that still plug "healthy whole grains" and demonize fat. Webmd is one, of course the American Diabetes Association, the American Heart Association, and strangely the Weather Channel has gone into giving nutritional advice as well! Popular magazines like Reader's Digest and Redbook and Family Circle will keep feeding their readers the low fat, high carb schtick. And still too many nutritionists follow the party line, so still fringe in my opinion.
  • greenautumn17
    Options
    What would all those pizza conglomerates (and fast food too) if lc or keto became more mainstream?!! The horror! My daughter works for Pizza Hut and the only thing I eat there now is salad. I know some folks scrape the cheese and toppings off the [izza and just eat that, but such a waste of "food" (the crust)! They need to offer a "crust free" pizza in like a casserole dish. :wink:
  • DittoDan
    Options
    My predictions (sometime in the near future):

There will be less and less advertised "Lo-fat" groceries.

There will be a restaurant somewhere (and it will make the news) that has a "Lo-carb" menu section (Kinda like a gluten free section".

Maybe a restaurant that will either be a Ketogenic eating establishment or Keto friendly.

There WILL be Ketogenic Weight Loss clinics. That may already be a fact and probably. I mean, you'll be driving down the street and you'll see a name of a clinic with the words "Ketogenic" in it :).

One reason the diet is taking off, is there are people that have lost over 100 lbs (the golden bragging number) that people pay attention to. When bariatric surgery started, after a few years, everybody knew someone who did it, and how it transformed their lives for the better. Usually ONE person can influence (be seen directly) by at least 100 - 200 people, (family, friends, work & church or clubs/associations). Take me, for example, we have 150 people in our church, I worked at a company and changed companies in the middle of my diet, but that was about 75 people, a software user group I run (50 people) and my family. Although technically I haven't lost 100 lbs, on this diet, I now am down enough to where people that see me are constantly doing double takes. I feel like a celebrity. So, most people know what diet I am doing, because I explained it to them. And of course, most don't want to give up their carbs. BUT, since I started, there are now 3 of my friends doing Keto, another 3 interested and asking questions and another 3 doing lo-carb (50 - 100 carb g @ day).

So, not only are people seeing my success, but I am already getting questions from once removed people. Friends and family that know me, tell their friends and family. I think in a couple years, this will start snow balling. And at a much faster rate than Bariatric surgery. That was just too harsh and un-reversible. Soon, everybody will know someone that did this diet and lost an extreme amount of weight. And since I am older (58) this diet is also a solution to the inflammation in the joints among us old fogeys. Before this diet, I thought Advil was a miracle drug. Since I started this diet, I almost threw them away (until I started exercising recently). Even then, I only used it for one day. Pre-keto my joint ached all the time. But now my inflammation and edema is gone! YAY!

Thirdly. Diabetes/morbid obesity is running amuck. This diet is a God send for diabetics. Not to mention all the money a diabetic could save by from the insulin. If insurance companies were smart (and they're not), instead of approving expensive bariatric surgery, they should only approve it AFTER the patient tries a medically supervised Keto diet (the doctor could monitor them through the MFP diary) (failure to do the diary, would mean denial of bariatric surgery). I would envision a clinic the fat person would go to, to learn how to eat ketogenically, an education center, with a kitchen where they would cook delicious Keto meals. AND teach them how to live this way. This would be MUCH cheaper than the insurance company shelling out from $12,500 to $25,000 for bariatric surgery.

What do ya think?

It's Ketogenic or Bariatric! How I Found the Ketogenic Diet
    Blog #10 Keto: Abbreviations, Acronyms & Terminology Used on the LCD & Keto Discussion Groups
    Blog #13 DittoDan's Milestone's, First's And Good Changes Since Starting the Ketogenic Diet
    DittoDan's Keto Blogs
    How I got Off of Diabetic Prescriptions Drugs Since I Started Keto
    Blog #11 Really Good Keto Websites
    Low Carb Discussion Group on MFP (LCD)
    Ketogenic Diet Discussion Group on MFP

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    What would all those pizza conglomerates (and fast food too) if lc or keto became more mainstream?!! The horror! My daughter works for Pizza Hut and the only thing I eat there now is salad. I know some folks scrape the cheese and toppings off the [izza and just eat that, but such a waste of "food" (the crust)! They need to offer a "crust free" pizza in like a casserole dish. :wink:

Ate at Fazoli's today with a group and I had the side salad w/o dressing. It was strange watching people suck down so many carbs but many had desserts and washed them down with high fructose corn syrup. That was where I had my one and only Carb Nite Out last Thanksgiving and it took 6 six days for me to recover.

I went to a graduation party a few weeks ago and noticed people were having trouble with getting pizza slices separated. It was from a local place with a lot of good cheese. It all came off of the crust and I just chucked them into the trash can and ate it with a knife and fork. It must to have been sugar free because I pigged out and stayed in ketosis.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options

So much this. I am hesitant to tell people about the way I eat because I feel like it automatically sounds like I am being haughty about my diet. But whatever, I think most people have their own guidelines about food whether or not they want to admit it. I like whoever said to call it a "low insulin" diet, takes away any uppity connotation to me.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    I like the use of the term "low insulin" and in fact that is the anti-cancer feature of keto.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    One reason the diet is taking off, is there are people that have lost over 100 lbs (the golden bragging number) that people pay attention to. When bariatric surgery started, after a few years, everybody knew someone who did it, and how it transformed their lives for the better. Usually ONE person can influence (be seen directly) by at least 100 - 200 people, (family, friends, work & church or clubs/associations). Take me, for example, we have 150 people in our church, I worked at a company and changed companies in the middle of my diet, but that was about 75 people, a software user group I run (50 people) and my family. Although technically I haven't lost 100 lbs, on this diet, I now am down enough to where people that see me are constantly doing double takes. I feel like a celebrity. So, most people know what diet I am doing, because I explained it to them. And of course, most don't want to give up their carbs. BUT, since I started, there are now 3 of my friends doing Keto, another 3 interested and asking questions and another 3 doing lo-carb (50 - 100 carb g @ day).

You are a celebrity to us too, Dan!

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I've had a few people ask me how I lost weight. I tell them to buy me lunch and I'll tell them what to order. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options

I feel the same. We don't go to pizza joints any more. But we do order pizza occasionally. I keep pepperoni, mozzarella and sauce in the house and will whip up a pizza bowl. Tastes better than the dumb toppings off the pizza. And doesn't waste food.
  • greenautumn17
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I feel the same. We don't go to pizza joints any more. But we do order pizza occasionally. I keep pepperoni, mozzarella and sauce in the house and will whip up a pizza bowl. Tastes better than the dumb toppings off the pizza. And doesn't waste food.

I do the same but sometimes it is nice to have someone else cook for us - and their job is to make pizzas anyway, LOL!
  • AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    <snip>
    However, as soon as I mention the amount of fat I eat, these people lose interest in what I am telling them, stating that this diet not good for me. <snip>

Kitn, what you mention here is so true! And there's a funny YouTube video that reflects this:

LCHF is the XXXX (A funny animated explantion of the Keto WOE)

Enjoy,

Lol that was an awesome video. Love it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,963 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I do the same but sometimes it is nice to have someone else cook for us - and their job is to make pizzas anyway, LOL!

I do understand that. It's nice to not have to cook and clean up.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    I've had a few people ask me how I lost weight. I tell them to buy me lunch and I'll tell them what to order. :)

Darn, that's a good one! :) (will be using that in the future!)

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Keto got mentioned on an episode of grimm, and we got compared to bad-a** dragon people, so I'd say that's a win.