Advice needed. Any experienced runners out there?

Options
mmnv79
mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
I have never ran before and I'm going to start the C25k programme next week. One of my biggest concerns is that I heard that running on pavement is bad for your knees. I don't have knees pain, but I'm overweight and I need to buy proper running shoes. I suppose any New Balance trainers should be ok ?? Also, I'll need to buy leggins because I'm approx one size down. I walk everyday so I don't mind investing in shoes + reflecting clothing. Should I wear a reflecting jacket or arm-bands? Do people carry water? Any advice/tips? Thanks! :)

Replies

• taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Pavement is fine. It's running with bad form or too much or pre-existing stuff that does your knees generally (or bad shoes/worn shoes, etc). Getting off the pavement onto grass or trails is great though.
    Proper running shoes are definitely a good investment, although you should avoid using them as daily walking shoes, mostly because you'll wear them out quicker.
    Go to a decent running store and get properly fitted, it may be expensive it may not but it's worth the money.
    Reflective gear is really only needed if you're running in low light situations, if you're out during the day don't worry about it yet.

Some people carry water, others don't. Depending on your current fitness you might want to carry water the first few sessions and see how you feel. Personally unless it's hot I can comfortably go 10 miles without water. I do drink a lot during the day though.

Number 1 piece of advise for C25K, that will be repeated until the end of time. When it comes to your running intervals. Slow down, then slow down some more. If you still struggle to finish them, slow down again. It's no big deal to run slower than you walk at first.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Thanks for your message.

We'll be running from 7pm so I might take a reflecting arm band I have and see what other people wear. I live in a small town (100.000 hab.) and (unfortunately) the only sport shop we have is Sport Direct. I'll wear my trainers and ask what other beginner runners wear and where they bought them. We have around 42°F most nights, so I should be ok without water. Much appreciated! :)
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Do a search for local running clubs, contact them they will let you know where the nearest and best running shop is for you. SD is great if you know what you want and they have it. Otherwise give it a wide berth especially for shoes. I use SD for running tights/ shorts/ socks and have got end of line/ season shoes from there but only because I knew what I wanted. Hope it goes well for you
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    My only question is . . . why are you waiting for next week??? You've made a great decision, and I applaud you for it!!! The best day to start C25K, though, is always TODAY!

I've gone through C25K twice. I started the second time this last January, and I'm up to running about 10-12 miles a week now. (Not all at once!!!)

As for gear . . . when I started, I went out the door and did C25K Week 1 Day 1 in what I was wearing. (Slacks, a polo shirt, slip-on shoes, and wool socks) It didn't take me long to pine for some better stuff, and the shoes (and socks) are definitely the place to start. I'm lucky . . . I'm in Nike's home town. Picked up a pair of Nike Pegasus running shoes at their factory outlet store for about $60, and I love them! I also bought some New Balance running socks at a local outdoor store, and I love them, too. MUCH better than the old white cotton athletic socks. They are very comfortable, do not slide around or slip down, and they keep your feet fairly dry. Also some underwear to help with thigh rubbing (depending on your size, you know what I'm talking about!) Finally, get a polyester running shirt . . . cotton is hot, and gets sweaty.

I eventually bought a separate pair of shoes for walking. Walking shoes are a little more firm, and have a bit more structure to them. I suppose running shoes would work fine for walking, but I really didn't want to wear out my running shoes.

For lights, I have done quite a bit of running at night, simply due to my busy schedule. I stay mostly off the roads, and started with just a headlamp. When I just about got run over from behind as I was crossing a quiet residential road, though, I went to a local one-stop shopping store and bought a red clip-on light for bicycles. I clip that onto the back of my collar.

Over time I've picked up a few other running gadgets: a dry-wicking beanie for cold weather and a dry-wicking balaclava for REAL cold weather (I've run in temps down to 28F, and kept fairly comfortable). A pair or running gloves, for the same weather. I've found I really like the gloves, even in 'mild' weather. I guess I just like warm hands. A headband to keep sweat out of my eyes on hot days. (I decided to get this on a run on a 90F day when I realized that the polyester t-shirt doesn't do ANYTHING for wiping sweat off your forehead. My eyes STUNG that day!!!)

I've heard the same thing about cement vs asphalt. Maybe I'm just imagining it, but I think asphalt does feel a little better to run on. I don't think you're going to do much damage on cement, though. I really like the idea of trail running, but I think it takes a little more energy to run on soft ground. In grass I think you tend to pick your feet up more, and the same is true over any kind of rough terrain. I have found a few well-groomed and well-packed dirt or crushed rock walking trails that I love to run on.

I don't carry water. Never really needed to. My longest run so far has been 60 minutes. I read a rule of thumb somewhere that you should carry water for any run of an hour or longer, so I'll probably start thinking about how I want to carry it sometime soon.

Finally, I would think you could find just about anything you need on Amazon. I know it's nice to actually see and try stuff on before you buy, but for things like reflectors, etc., online may be the way to go, if you can't find what you're looking for locally.

Oh - and listen to taeliesyn about going slow. With C25K your speed doesn't matter. In fact, at times you may find yourself running SLOWER than you walk, and that's OK!!! And if you REALLY don't think you can step up to the next run, it is also perfectly acceptable to repeat a run until you are ready.

So, get out there (wait until next week if you MUST), and HAVE FUN!

Finally, I can't remember where I read this quote, but it has gotten me out the door many times: "You will never regret having gone for a run." It is true. You may regret the run before you do it. And you may occasionally even regret the run while you're doing it. But you will NEVER regret the run after you are finished.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    .... the only sport shop we have is Sport Direct.

Karrimor running shoes, from Sports Direct, get a reasonable rating as low cost and pretty robust in many of the trail running places I read. However the issue you've got as a newbie runner is in knowing what type of shoe to use; stabilisation/ motion control vs cushioned vs neutral vs minimalist. SD staff won't be able to help with that.

Notwithstanding that, the rest of their kit is reasonable and low cost; running tights, shorts, technical tees and socks all lasted me a good long time. They're worn out now so I can't use them for long runs, although I'd say that they're a good couple of years old.

I'd echo the comments about pace. Don't worry about pace, focus on completing the run intervals.

And relax.

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    I wear New Balance running shoes. I only carry water if I'm running longer than an hour or so or if it's very hot.

Echoing others- don't worry about pace, focus on endurance, pavement is better than concrete.

Most important- HAVE FUN!
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    As I was re-reading this thread, I noticed one more thing: You sound a bit concerned about your knees because you are overweight. I think that's fair. However, when I started, I had a BMI of 48. It is do-able. I used to tell myself that I was in a race to get the weight off my knees before they gave up. I don't have knee problems, but bad joints run in my family. I do (or did) have ankle problems - My ankles are weak, so I (used to) sprain them a lot. Probably the weight had a lot to do with that. And I pulled my achilles a couple years ago, and it never really healed. When I started running I actually had trouble WALKING because of the achilles. I found that the exercise and stretching from running actually HELPED my achilles. Now it only hurts if I take a few days away from running.

Bottom line - it's fair to be concerned about your joints. But just pay attention to them. Learn the difference between aching muscles from exertion (GOOD ache) and pain that may be telling you something is wrong. I didn't have any knee problems, and I expect that you won't, either, but it is good to be aware.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    Do a search for local running clubs, contact them they will let you know where the nearest and best running shop is for you. SD is great if you know what you want and they have it. Otherwise give it a wide berth especially for shoes. I use SD for running tights/ shorts/ socks and have got end of line/ season shoes from there but only because I knew what I wanted. Hope it goes well for you

Thanks. There's only one local club doing the C25K. They run twice a week, every Monday and Wednesday. I plan to walk-run on Friday as well. My nearest Sport Direct is very small so I went to Decathlon Belfast and bought a pair of Asics shoes, they were reduced from £100-ish to only £30 and they are very comfy.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    My only question is . . . why are you waiting for next week??? You've made a great decision, and I applaud you for it!!! The best day to start C25K, though, is always TODAY!

I've gone through C25K twice. I started the second time this last January, and I'm up to running about 10-12 miles a week now. (Not all at once!!!)

Thanks for your advice. My nearest C25K only run twice a week, Monday and Wednesday. Unfortunately I can't go this week because I'm working till late. I live in Northern Ireland and it rains quiet a lot here, so yes I'll have to invest in a reflecting light jacket or something.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Karrimor running shoes, from Sports Direct, get a reasonable rating as low cost and pretty robust in many of the trail running places I read. However the issue you've got as a newbie runner is in knowing what type of shoe to use; stabilisation/ motion control vs cushioned vs neutral vs minimalist. SD staff won't be able to help with that.

Notwithstanding that, the rest of their kit is reasonable and low cost; running tights, shorts, technical tees and socks all lasted me a good long time. They're worn out now so I can't use them for long runs, although I'd say that they're a good couple of years old.

I'd echo the comments about pace. Don't worry about pace, focus on completing the run intervals.

And relax.

Thanks. SD staff were lovely but yes, none of them could help me while Decathlon seems to hire people with experience/knowledge in sports.
  • DaveAkeman
    edited June 2015
    Options

Thanks for your advice. My nearest C25K only run twice a week, Monday and Wednesday. Unfortunately I can't go this week because I'm working till late. I live in Northern Ireland and it rains quiet a lot here, so yes I'll have to invest in a reflecting light jacket or something.

Ahhhh . . . I missed that bit about Ireland! (And about running with a club . . . I look at running as a solitary thing, but if you want to do it with a group, that's fine, too!)

You really should learn to embrace the rain; otherwise you're going to find too many days that you have excuses. I live on the NW coast of America . . . lots of rain here, too. Don't wear any cotton (get the moisture-wicking clothes), and you will be fine. Once you get going, you barely even feel the rain. Sometimes it's actually a bit refreshing. I usually don't mind running in it at all.

I tried running with a light jacket a couple times. Every time I did, I had to find a spot to stash it about 1/2 mile out, then pick it up on the way back. Even the lightest of jackets was too much for me. I see some people running with sweats and jackets and long pants . . . I don't know how they can do it!!!
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I wear New Balance running shoes. I only carry water if I'm running longer than an hour or so or if it's very hot.

Echoing others- don't worry about pace, focus on endurance, pavement is better than concrete.

Most important- HAVE FUN!

Thanks. The weather is not hot here at all and the starting and finishing point is outside a supermarket, so there's no point to carry a bottle of water.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    As I was re-reading this thread, I noticed one more thing: You sound a bit concerned about your knees because you are overweight. I think that's fair. However, when I started, I had a BMI of 48. It is do-able. I used to tell myself that I was in a race to get the weight off my knees before they gave up. I don't have knee problems, but bad joints run in my family. I do (or did) have ankle problems - My ankles are weak, so I (used to) sprain them a lot. Probably the weight had a lot to do with that. And I pulled my achilles a couple years ago, and it never really healed. When I started running I actually had trouble WALKING because of the achilles. I found that the exercise and stretching from running actually HELPED my achilles. Now it only hurts if I take a few days away from running.

Bottom line - it's fair to be concerned about your joints. But just pay attention to them. Learn the difference between aching muscles from exertion (GOOD ache) and pain that may be telling you something is wrong. I didn't have any knee problems, and I expect that you won't, either, but it is good to be aware.

I'm approx 30lbs overweight. My BMI is overweight (28-ish I think). I don't have any health issues but yes, I'm a bit concern. I'll warm-up before exercising, the meeting point is approx 20 minutes by walk from my house. Thanks for your advice!
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Ahhhh . . . I missed that bit about Ireland! (And about running with a club . . . I look at running as a solitary thing, but if you want to do it with a group, that's fine, too!)

You really should learn to embrace the rain; otherwise you're going to find too many days that you have excuses. I live on the NW coast of America . . . lots of rain here, too. Don't wear any cotton (get the moisture-wicking clothes), and you will be fine. Once you get going, you barely even feel the rain. Sometimes it's actually a bit refreshing. I usually don't mind running in it at all.

I tried running with a light jacket a couple times. Every time I did, I had to find a spot to stash it about 1/2 mile out, then pick it up on the way back. Even the lightest of jackets was too much for me. I see some people running with sweats and jackets and long pants . . . I don't know how they can do it!!!

Thanks! The weather is a bit chilly. Right now we have 9 °C / 48 °F but yes, a light jacket might be too much, I may need a long sleeve shirt instead of a tank top.
  • DaveAkeman
    Options

Thanks! The weather is a bit chilly. Right now we have 9 °C / 48 °F but yes, a light jacket might be too much, I may need a long sleeve shirt instead of a tank top.

In my opinion, the PERFECT running weather is about 45F. That's when a t-shirt and shorts is perfectly comfortable. Any cooler and I start thinking hats and gloves; any warmer and I start thinking "Boy, it's warm!", and sweating a lot.

Everybody has their own comfort point, though. Just remember that you will feel much warmer than you would otherwise. I read a good rule of thumb that seems to work well for me . . . dress for 20F (11C) warmer than the weather. So, for your 9C day, you should dress for 20C to be comfortable while running. Make sure to remember, though, that if anything happens out there . . . say, you sprain an ankle or something . . . you could find yourself kilometers from home, in 9C weather, soaking wet from sweat, injured, and not dressed for 9C weather. Hypothermia comes quick in situations like that. Make sure you've got some kind of plan for something like this. (Running with the group is more than enough of a plan!)

And . . . have fun! Let us know how it goes!!!
  • mmnv79
    Options
    @DaveAkeman Thanks. I did a 5km route today, alternating very short run segments with short walks. I don't feel too bad right now. I'll repeat it again on Sunday. I can't wait to start the proper C25K on Wednesday. I'm expecting that to take longer than a week to do too.

Btw, how do you keep tracking of the time?
  • DaveAkeman
    Options
    Btw, how do you keep tracking of the time?

I use a smart phone app, RunDouble. It's free for the first several weeks, then I think it's something like $2 if you want to continue. It will give you periodic updates if you want, and it will tell you when to run and when to walk (through the phone's speaker or, better, though headphones)

I think there are other apps out there, but I like RunDouble.

• DaveAkeman
    Options
    Don't be disappointed if, on Week 1 Day 1, you only cover 1 or 2 km.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    Thanks. I download a free app created by the NHS (UK National Health Service).
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx
  • mmnv79
    Options
    I don't know how to explain but my heart feels funny. When I breathe I feel like if I had a hole in my heart. I have done serious exercise in the past and never felt this way.