Advice needed. Any experienced runners out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    mmnv79 wrote: »
    I don't know how to explain but my heart feels funny. When I breathe I feel like if I had a hole in my heart. I have done serious exercise in the past and never felt this way.

Go see a medical professional and get checked out. This is clearly a variation to normal and needs properly assessing. Internet forums are not the place to gamble with your health. Good luck and best of health to you

• kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    See your doc and tell him. Ask for a stress test if one isn't offered.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    In my opinion, the PERFECT running weather is about 45F. That's when a t-shirt and shorts is perfectly comfortable. Any cooler and I start thinking hats and gloves; any warmer and I start thinking "Boy, it's warm!", and sweating a lot. Everybody has their own comfort point, though. Just remember that you will feel much warmer than you would otherwise. I read a good rule of thumb that seems to work well for me . . . dress for 20F (11C) warmer than the weather. So, for your 9C day, you should dress for 20C to be comfortable while running.
    And . . . have fun! Let us know how it goes!!!

I thought dang he's Canadian the way he can switch from C to F. NorWestern US pretty much on the border with us Canucks. Like you I prefer the Cooler Temps for running. You can only take off so many clothes before you get arrested, but you can always add clothing on Cold Days.

Compliments to you Dave for the encouragement and positive guidance you have always provided to the new runners looking for help. :)
  • mmnv79
    mmnv79 Posts: 538 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »
    I don't know how to explain but my heart feels funny. When I breathe I feel like if I had a hole in my heart. I have done serious exercise in the past and never felt this way.

Go see a medical professional and get checked out. This is clearly a variation to normal and needs properly assessing. Internet forums are not the place to gamble with your health. Good luck and best of health to you

Yes, I plan to go to my GP (family doctor) no matter what people post. I wouldn't take any chances with my health. I was just updating the post as Dave has been very helpfull. I phoned on Thursday and Friday on my break and it was fully booked. I'll try again on Monday. My father had arrhythmia and my heart was checked once (I was little and can't remember why) and everything was fine.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    See your doc and tell him. Ask for a stress test if one isn't offered.

Is it the test where the doctor ask you about your family, friends, work, etc.?
  • kramrn77
    kramrn77 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Haha. That would be a life test! They hook you up to a halter cardiac monitor and make you get on a treadmill. It monitors your heart under stress of exercise.
  • mmnv79
    edited June 2015
    Options
    kramrn77 wrote: »
    Haha. That would be a life test! They hook you up to a halter cardiac monitor and make you get on a treadmill. It monitors your heart under stress of exercise.

Oops :) Thanks! My heart rate always has been high (even before I put on weight a couple of years ago) approx 90 while resting, while my blood pressure is fine.
  • mmnv79
    Options
    My GP said it's nothing to worry about. I think I'm going to try to buy a heart rate monitor and keep a record, just in case.
  • DaveAkeman
    DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    I thought dang he's Canadian the way he can switch from C to F. NorWestern US pretty much on the border with us Canucks. Like you I prefer the Cooler Temps for running. You can only take off so many clothes before you get arrested, but you can always add clothing on Cold Days.

Compliments to you Dave for the encouragement and positive guidance you have always provided to the new runners looking for help. :)

Nope - not Canadian. I may be able to translate, but it's only because I'm an engineer. I could never be a Canadian . . . I might be a generally polite guy, but I can't be THAT polite THAT much of the time!!!

Regarding the encouragement - I'm just one fat guy who has fallen in love with running. And C25K did it for me. I love to tell everyone I know . . . YOU, TOO, CAN ENJOY RUNNING! It's an AMAZING program that I think ANYONE (well, ALMOST anyone) can do. Like I said, I started with a BMI of 48 and barely able to walk. Now I'm down 75 pounds, and I often look forward to my runs. I want EVERYONE to enjoy this!!!

@mmnv79 , please do follow through with that doctor's visit. I look forward to hearing that you've been given a clean bill of health.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    My GP said it's nothing to worry about. I think I'm going to try to buy a heart rate monitor and keep a record, just in case.

Great news :)

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »
    Regarding the encouragement - I'm just one fat guy who has fallen in love with running. And C25K did it for me. I love to tell everyone I know . . . YOU, TOO, CAN ENJOY RUNNING! It's an AMAZING program that I think ANYONE (well, ALMOST anyone) can do. Like I said, I started with a BMI of 48 and barely able to walk. Now I'm down 75 pounds, and I often look forward to my runs. I want EVERYONE to enjoy this!!!

My fun for the day. Had a Flying Trip to Edmonton today for work. First thing packed in my suitcase was Running gear and Swim gear. Snuck in an end of Day Run and Swim workout. Did the 5 km run Emily Murphy Park / River Valley Road Loop, from Kinsmen past Emily Murphy park to the Groat Rd Bridge, crossed over the River to River Valley Rd and back east to the LRT Bridge and crossed over the river on the LRT Bridge back to Kinsmen. Loved the South side thru the trees along the river on the Gravel bush trail. One of those great days that makes you want to find more sweet little bush trails to explore. Then I jumped in the pool ( 50m ) and attempted to swim 1000m. Ran out of power at 700m, no legs left. Felt like I was dragging bricks.