Trail Etiquette

Options
DaveAkeman
DaveAkeman Posts: 296 Member
edited June 2015 in Social Groups
I had an odd experience on the trail today, and I'm wondering how others would have handled this . . .

I do most of my running on sidewalks that parallel roads. I've done a couple runs in parks.

There is a trail a few miles away that I have been wanting to run on for a while, and this evening I decided to do it. I've walked it, but never run it. Basically, it's a packed dirt trail, about 5 feet wide, that winds through some wetland, then along the shore of a lake. Lots of vegetation, so it's quite peaceful, even though it is a popular trail. This afternoon was beautiful weather, so there were lots of people on the trail . . . I must have passed a dozen walkers, 2 or 3 bikers, and 1 or 2 runners during my 5k.

I set out to do an easy 5k. I ran one yesterday, so, without a rest day, I knew I was going to be a bit slow today. Turns out I was about 1 min/mile slower than my typical speed.

From the parking lot I ran out 1.6 miles, then turned around. As I was turning around, another runner was coming from the other direction, and she ended up being about 20 feet behind me. I thought she was running a bit faster, so I stayed to the side for her to pass, and she never did. She just stayed 20 feet back. I could hear her running back there. It started bothering me . . . I wasn't scared, but I came to this trail for peace and solitude, and here I was pacing for someone else. Finally, I slowed to a walk; as she passed, I told her I felt like I was trying to outrun her, and I was going to let her pass. She took her headphones off, then I had to repeat myself. I turned around and ran 50 yards the other direction, then turned around again. When I turned around, SHE STARTED WALKING! As soon as I passed her again, she started running again. I varied my pace . . . I was probably everywhere from 11 min/mile to 14 min/mile . . . and she stayed 20 feet back the entire mile and a half back to the parking lot.

I'm not sure what to think. I don't think she was scared of me . . . it is a bit of a secluded trail because of the vegetation, but there were lots of other trail users, and it was broad daylight (about an hour before sunset). I think she was just using me to set a pace.

And she wasn't scaring me or anything . . . she just wasn't letting me get the solitude I went there for! I couldn't stop concentrating on HER footsteps and breathing right behind me. (Plus, it seemed from her breathing that she was probably going a touch too fast)

What would others have done? Just ignore it? Turn around AGAIN? Say something? (Or just delight in the fact that you're an overweight middle-aged man being chased by a younger woman???)

Is it rude to pace with a stranger you happen upon on a trail? Is it rude to not WANT somebody to pace with you? I'm not sure what the etiquette is in a situation like this.

Replies

• maggiekat7
    maggiekat7 Posts: 122 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    DaveAkeman wrote: »

What would others have done? Just ignore it? Turn around AGAIN? Say something? (Or just delight in the fact that you're an overweight middle-aged man being chased by a younger woman???)

Seriously, this would have bothered me immensely. I wouldn't have had to courage to say something, but I think in this case it would have been appropriate to communicate your discomfort with the fact that they were tagging along - unwelcome.