You know you've changed your mindset when...

Replies

• AngInCanada
    AngInCanada Posts: 947 Member
    I refuse to buy cereal anymore. Bunch of sugar laden crap. My kids either have eggs, a smoothie or oatmeal for breakfast.

You know you've changed your mindset when the highlight of a birthday party isn't food any longer. At any birthday I used to get so excited wondering what kind of food or cake would be served. Now I look forward to the company :)
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    I found myself at the nearest Wal-Mart (we're on vacation) looking at the center-cut bacon, thinking "nah, it doesn't have the fatty ends on it".

I'm sure you guys have had moments like that. Let's hear 'em!

Oh my goodness, you and I seem to be in sync, because i started with this the other day too. Ive always searched for the leanest packs of bacon i could find and now i'm specifically looking for the ones with plenty of nice fatty bits. I used to HATE fat before and now my favorite bit is the crispy fat. Strange how quickly your tastes change when you get into keto.

• Ashar33
    Ashar33 Posts: 17 Member
    Same thing with buying 80/20 Ground beef instead of extra lean. And getting tuna packed in oil instead of water.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    ...you were a "Seafood vegetarian" aka Ovo-pescetarian for 26 years...
    And your fridge is now full of bacon, cheese and pork chops. And it's ALL FOR YOU!
    I scrape bacon grease up from dishes and eat it now. Used to throw up when I had dairy, and any meats except for fishies would turn my stomach.

-T.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    You go to a lunch meeting and it's a carb fest (bread, chocolate, cookies, cake, etc) but you aren't tempted. Instead I ate my tuna with mayo, salad with ranch dressing and cheesecake fat bomb. :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited June 2015
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Karlottap wrote: »
    The cereal and potato chip aisles don't exist, for me, anymore!

On a more serious note, I actually walked down the cereal aisle the other day, since it's the same aisle that houses the coffee and I was getting something for my husband. I could practically smell the sugar and felt rather disgusted seeing all that crap. I nearly gagged at the thought of it.

That's a feat and a half, coming from the person that used to practically live off cereal (though, in fairness, I didn't tend toward the real sugary stuff most of the time -- unless it was Cocoa Pebbles, you could have those when you pried them from my cold, dead fingers -- I was more a Bran Flakes fan; of course, I was one of those weirdos that liked Grape Nuts, too, so...yeah).

I LOVED Cocoa Pebbles and Grape Nuts - and Bran Flakes with half and half (my grandpa got us into that habit! lol)... I haven't been tempted by cereal so far this year... Kind of funny, actually.

I don't think there was a cereal that I DIDN'T like. I would slice up two bananas and eat several bowls. I didn't add sugar to them though (snickering...)

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Ashar33 wrote: »
    Last week I was baking all night for a co-workers birthday. Made paleo zucchini bread (definitely not low carb), and regular birthday cake. Didn't even lick the spoon and didn't want to either.

Good for you Ashar! Way to go... that's the spirit... I did the same when our work brought in free donuts and bagels every other week....

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    When you eat a whole pound of bacon and just smile
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I found myself at the nearest Wal-Mart (we're on vacation) looking at the center-cut bacon, thinking "nah, it doesn't have the fatty ends on it".

I'm sure you guys have had moments like that. Let's hear 'em!

Oh my goodness, you and I seem to be in sync, because i started with this the other day too. Ive always searched for the leanest packs of bacon i could find and now i'm specifically looking for the ones with plenty of nice fatty bits. I used to HATE fat before and now my favorite bit is the crispy fat. Strange how quickly your tastes change when you get into keto.

Not entirely true, I still want the meatiest bacon and cut those 'useless' end fat bits off after a year & half. I prefer the taste of meat to the taste of hot grease. Never liked butter either... ;)

• smuller73
    smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
    You're husbands family arrive at the door with 5 large pizzas (far too many) to share with your family and you don't have even one slice and have no problem boxing up the leftovers and letting them take it home with them.
  • smuller73
    smuller73 Posts: 71 Member
    Also, when your husband is so into your WOE that he specially asks the manager of a local pub/restaurant to cook some calamari in real butter for you as he sees that there are no low carb options on the menu. (we were there for drinks but everyone else was ordering pizzas and curries and I had decided that I would just to eat when I got home)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    smuller73 wrote: »
    Also, when your husband is so into your WOE that he specially asks the manager of a local pub/restaurant to cook some calamari in real butter for you as he sees that there are no low carb options on the menu. (we were there for drinks but everyone else was ordering pizzas and curries and I had decided that I would just to eat when I got home)

Now that's LOVE!
  • DrawnToScale
    DrawnToScale Posts: 126 Member
    Trying hard to give up my fear of fat - its not easy. Been eating more cream sauces lately - but this morning was a stretch for me. I ate a half can of Trader Joe's coconut cream, blended with strawberries & coconut flour. About 3 times a much fat as I usually eat in a meal - slurped right down. I had to work hard to suppress the anxiety from the long instilled fat fear.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Trying hard to give up my fear of fat - its not easy. Been eating more cream sauces lately - but this morning was a stretch for me. I ate a half can of Trader Joe's coconut cream, blended with strawberries & coconut flour. About 3 times a much fat as I usually eat in a meal - slurped right down. I had to work hard to suppress the anxiety from the long instilled fat fear.

When you start feeling AWESOME from all the yummy fats, that fear will drown in it's own swill - er, it'll vanish! Yeah, that's what I meant. LOL
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    When you hear there is a huge water leak in the kitchen causing the microwaves to be roped off and you think "Eh, I guess I'll have to wait to heat up my lunch. Ok."
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    AmZam05 wrote: »
    When you walk into the break room to see a large box of nutter butters and Rice Krispies and you uninterestingly turn away. Kinda shocked myself with that one this morning, haha! Or when you take a big greasy burger patty with cheese for breakfast 2 days in a row and enjoy the puzzled looks of coworkers.

We have cookies and doughnuts all the time

It isn't even a temptation now

I have learned to being in my good snack food!
  • dalansteiner
    dalansteiner Posts: 61 Member
    When, after 51 years of daily bananas and OJ, you quit cold turkey. As I am a type 1 diabetic, I now only eat them when I get hypoglycemic.

The one bad thing about that is my potassium intake is now chronically low...
  • pedidiva
    pedidiva Posts: 199 Member
    you go out for dinner and you chose bleu cheese crumbles on the steak rather than a baked potato
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    I had one the other day at the store, and I haven't even been at this very long. On one of those end caps, where they put things they want you to buy, there was a new kind of chocolate truffle. You know, those chocolates with the smooth creamy inside that sort of melts in your mouth... Well this one was s'mores variety. Graham cracker crumbs and mini-marshmallow bits on the outside. I looked at that and it had NO appeal to me. I was kind of shocked actually because I still do eat a piece of Dove dark chocolate sometimes. But that truffle just looked so rich and so sugary (I mean, it had to be 100% sugar, lol) that I just didn't want it. :)
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    When you know that you have a very valid reason to cheat(according to everyone around you at least), and you just don't feel like it.