Ripping off the bandaid

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Ya, lifting isn't going to be accurate. That one 1/8" square sensor for body heat isn't that good at determining how much energy you just spent doing weight lifting. Unless it was all tricep work where the sensor is.

• kmac1196
    kmac1196 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ah...ok....so I'll continue to collect data...I'm only just beginning now Week 1 was a gain, obviously. Week 2 was stayed the same. Week 3 is coming on Tuesday. I'll report back.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    So regarding cals burned lifting.....yesterday was a normal day for me and I lifted. Burn from armband was 2713 (estimate from body media said it should be 2720 so I'm impressed with how close that was). So can I assume that the burn was actually more? The day before was a cardio day and burned 2824. My eating goal was 2900 which I've not been able to get to often....mainly around 2600 with a couple of high days.
  • heybales
    Options
    Probably slightly more.

When you look at the chart of METS, the 0-3, and 3-6 vigorous ranges, though they may have labeled the chart something else now, and you could have adjusted the METS.

Does your workout time show up in there accurately for start and duration? Lifting would be vigorous.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    It shows up but the whole thing isn't vigorous. Only 4 mins of it is. So I'll just continue to use it as a base. How often have you found it to be over estimating daily burn? I've heard lots of people outside of this forum say it does but in here most people say it underestimates. I know you've done some research/study on it....just curious.
  • heybales
    Options
    For those where the sensors didn't work, it was overestimated. And that seemed to be about half that responded to my thread. So no wonder many would say over.

Especially if doing typical cardio stuff most would be doing.

The adjustment to BMR they used didn't go far enough down, and was still higher than sometimes tested RMR in a few cases.

So in your example, you got 4 min of MET time in range 3-6 x resting calorie burn - for however long the workout was.
    That's not much credit.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Ah. Ok. So maybe the underestimating on things like lifting and afterburn from lifting and the over estimating from cardio et al will balance out here. I'll let you know my findings after a good month or 2 of data.
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Ok...cals 2900 ish (guessed 2 days from party foods)....TOM right now and I'm up 1 lb.

I can't believe it. Really. LOL

Plan next week....same exact thing as this week. 2900 daily. 3 days lift (5x5 program with some accesories) and walk (LISS) 3 days for an hour. 1 day of rest. Work is 3 days (housecleaner...work alone...3 hours a day)...plus normal house stuff here and 3 kids and 2 dogs and husband.

I'll keep you posted.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,755 Member
    Options
    Wow, 2900 calories, that is terrific.

I'm enjoy observing your journey. This stuff is life changing :)
  • kmac1196
    Options
    So bodymedia seems to be lowering burn again (after wearing it for some weeks).

Last Weds 2634 This weds 2415 very similar days....lifted worked same evening activities. Last Thurs 2824..this Thurs 2676 Both cardio days (1 hour walk) and work day and similar evening.

Am I burning less or is the armband getting more/less accurate? Is the only way to tell when I weigh in on Tues for a full month of data?
  • heybales
    Options
    That'll be useful.

200 cal is big drop. What does it say your sleeping calorie burn per min is now compared to last week?
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Just checked Thurs last week and Thurs this week.... .8-.9 both days. That does not appear to have changed.

Weird?
  • kmac1196
    Options
    Ok. So up 2.2 lbs with cals avg 2810 this week. 3 days lifting. 3 days walking. I know it's not possible to have eaten over maint by that much. So what's up you think?
  • kmac1196
    Options
    That was week 4.

Wk 1 was up 7
    Wk 2 same.
    Wk3 +1 TOM
    Wk 4 +2.2
  • heybales
    Options
    Appears next week should finish the story.
    Been walking out in this late summer heat we have now after delayed spring rains?
  • kmac1196
    Options
    No. I awl outside only once a week and early. Usuall in in the treadmill in the ac. It has been humid.

But my clothes don't fit and I am visibly bigger so some of it is fat gain anyway. I know that.

You think I should stay at 2800 another week or walk it back to 2600?
  • kmac1196
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Maybe some other numbers might be helpful to see (for me, too).

I spent most of this year (and last) hovering around 184-186lbs .....cals about 1700 ish.... I dropped down to 179.6 after 3 weeks of 1200. Then I started my reset.

Week 1 Cals 2027 (up from 3 weeks of 1200) 7 lb gain.( 186.6) No bodymedia worn
    Week 2 cals 2654 stayed the same weight (186.6) . No bodymedia worn
    Week 3 cals 2931 Up 1 lb (TOM week 187.6) Body media avg cals burned 2667
    Week 4 cals 2809 Up 2.2 lbs( 190 ) Body media avg cals burned 2379
  • kmac1196
    Options
    vt5wb9buuilk.jpg

And blue dress is 178 ish after 2 weeks of 1200 the one on the right is yesterday...190 and 4 weeks of reset. Just for reference.
  • heybales
    Options
    I'd say hit whatever the Bodymedia is saying right now, though limited data to really decide if accurate enough.

But probably good place to sit for awhile.

Week of 1 lb gain, I know other reasons obviously for it - but also approaching 500 cal surplus.
    Week of 2 lb gain, could be delayed reasons or others - but closer to that 500 cal surplus.

Would suggest following the BMF daily if you can adjust daily eating goals - or start getting rolling 3 week average TDEE from it, and set next week to that value.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,755 Member
    Options
    I think you rock that stripped dress. Just sayin'