How important is calorie intake on keto.

Options
2»

Replies

• lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    susiean437 wrote: »
    Thanks so much. Hearing from people who live this daily is inspiring. It's easy to go online and read all kinds of crap that you don't know if you can believe. Actually talking to people is different. I think I have the right idea. I am definitely determined. My problem is also my weekend beer. So I have just told myself, no more beer. Although I drank low carb, it not only still had carbs, but when you drink, you just tend to forget how hard you have worked by eating the right things, and that thought of "Oh it's just one night" can screw up a lot of hard work. So I have resigned myself that although it's summer, it is what it is.No more yo yoing for me. If I want to feel good,, and lose the weight. No beer. Stay on track. Track vigilantely, and continue to study as much as I can about this. Thanks for taking the time to share with me. It truly does help to keep me motivated. Just finishing week one, with a long way to go. :)

It is way better to stay in ketosis, so yeah, that may mean no more beer for just now. For me, giving up beer was a small price to pay for how I now feel all the time. I have found another hobby and that's keto icecream! :)
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    4031isaiah wrote: »
    I just started as well but don't have Keto sticks. Where did you get them?

Don't bother, it's only an indicator of waste ketones excreted in urine, it doesn't tell you about blood ketone level which would be a more accurate indicator.

• 4031isaiah
    4031isaiah Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »

It is way better to stay in ketosis, so yeah, that may mean no more beer for just now. For me, giving up beer was a small price to pay for how I now feel all the time. I have found another hobby and that's keto icecream! :)

Keto ice cream? Now you've peaked my interest!
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Don't bother, it's only an indicator of waste ketones excreted in urine, it doesn't tell you about blood ketone level which would be a more accurate indicator.

Really? Ok. I've heard others say you know you're in ketosis when you have bad breath and smelly pee and I don't have either of those.
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    @lodro Curious about that Keto ice cream. I've seen a lot of recipes but none that really appealed to me. Share?
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Really? Ok. I've heard others say you know you're in ketosis when you have bad breath and smelly pee and I don't have either of those.

Some discussion here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10242815/ketostix
  • lodro
    Options

Keto ice cream? Now you've peaked my interest!

a quick google and you'll find tons of recipes. I started with one of these "freeze the bowl" things but am now seriously reading up on icecream machines.
  • lodro
    Options
    dldoddy wrote: »
    @lodro Curious about that Keto ice cream. I've seen a lot of recipes but none that really appealed to me. Share?

i've tried a couple of them in a little icecream maker. easy enough to do with small quantities. mostly, the base is coconut cream and/or heavy wipping cream and/or eggs. I use my protein powder of choice as a sweetener (Syntrax Nectar in my case) both the chocolate flavor and the vanilla. And I add berries to it: blue berries, strawberries. I'm working on an avocado version with pistacchio. I wrote hobby: not everything comes out nice enough, but I get to tinker with it, and i make tiny quantities, so not much is lost if it doesn't turn out to my liking.

the ones from the Charlie foundation are a good start, because they're geared to children's tastes.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm working on an avocado version with pistacchio.

Please share!!!
  • lodro
    Options
    It's this recipe

3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados
    1 lemon/lime, juice only
    1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
    1 cup creme fraiche or sour cream
    1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup roasted, unsalted, pistachios (shelled)

Only I left out the vanilla extract and put in real vanilla and substituted erythritol with some stevia drops for the honey. I don't like my icecream spectacularly sweet: also when it's been through the icecream maker it's less sweet than when you taste it raw, so to speak.

Anyway: blitz everything in a food processor, but leave the pistachios, you'll add those later. Run the mixture through your icecream maker of choice, add the pistacchios.

That's it. Easy peasy.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options
    I thought you couldn't have honey on Keto.
  • dorje77
    dorje77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    "stevia drops for the honey", not "honey". :)
  • lodro
    Options
    thanks! I find that i can mostly substitute nicely for honey or sugar. i really always like erythritol for that, because it masks the stevia after taste. Also, this only really works well in recipes that you don't have to heat. The resulting ice cream is a fat and calorie bomb, so if you're watching calories, a spoonful of the stuff will cost you dearly. And the sweetness may be a trigger for you. It isn't for me if i make it less sweet.
  • 4031isaiah
    Options

Some discussion here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10242815/ketostix

This link says I don't have permission to view it.
  • dorje77
    dorje77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have to login again after you've clicked on the link.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Or join the group. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

That group is currently restricted to where you have to be approved to join (long story), but it is kind of a cousin group to this one. It is a Low Carb forum that covers the entire spectrum of low carb. Also another great resource and well worth the join.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious!
  • fastforlife1
    fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    @kinketo42 I hope you are still on this thread. I upped my fat from 65% to 70% and got very sick to my stomach this week. I then found out (while listening to a Jimmy Moore Show) that this could be due to gall bladder problems. I also feel sick eating deep fried foods, and my sister, the nurse, (a few years ago) said it was probably gall bladder problems. I cut back on my fat consumption (I lowered my calories rather than my percentage), added more acids (vinegar, lemon juice) to my diet. I am considering buying bile salts. I also went back to eating large quantities of greens.
  • lodro
    Options
    It's why I take in a lot of my fat as MCT oil: much less tasking on the system.
  • kinketo42
    kinketo42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    @fastforlife1 the nausea disappear by my third week Ketoing!!! it was wonderful one day I woke up with energy, zero carb cravings and able to eat all the fat/prot I wanted.... the keto flu sucks I know!! I was getting tired of the nausea (just the thought of food would triggered it). Give it time! it WILL pass. Electrolyte help.
    Make sure to check with your doctor if you have gallbladder issues, I heard that for some people the increase in fat of the Keto WOE can trigger attacks...
    Keto on <3