Puree Stage is not a picnic

Options
RENAEJAE
RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
2 weeks out from RYN and I started the puree stage yesterday. Or rather I was 'supposed' to start it yesterday, but after just 1 oz of fluffy scrambled eggs my stomach was twisted all day. I had a hard time getting in 60g protein so I ended my day with a nap on the couch. Tried again today and I'm feeling a bit better but I'm finding it takes me 2 hours to eat 2 oz of pureed food. I've never felt so full and uncomfortable. Not to mention how disgusting cold pureed food is. Please tell me it gets better. I'm ready to feel good again.

Replies

• JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    It gets better, it takes time. I ate cottage cheese with some cinnamon, eggs were hard at first, I got 1 egg in. You will get better soon.
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    hang in there, believe it or not, it does get better. just make sure you get your protien and liquids in
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I still have trouble with eggs. Refried beans were better. So was greek yogurt.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Thanks - I guess I'll ease into it. You're just so ready to taste real food it's also difficult to eat slowly. I'll get the hang of it soon. Sticking with Isopure drinks and pureed tuna today.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    By the time you get it figured out, you'll be on to the next stage
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Kidding aside, you'll find a path through this phase and it will all fade to a blur as you move on to smaller and better things!

Hang in there!

Rob
  • jillcwatson1
    jillcwatson1 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am wondering...although I didn't have problems with any stages and I am on to full foods now...but if you have trouble with one stage, do you stay there until you DON'T have problems or move on to the next one when the calendar shows it is time for the next stage? I am helping someone in my support group when she has surgery next month, and I'd like to know how to advise her. It would seem that you shouldn't move on until your stomach can handle it, even if you might be able to eat other foods. The idea of taking in foods in stages is to allow for the healing to happen.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Big hugs. Things that worked for me in the puree stage was cream of chicken soup made with milk and a 1/2 packet of unflavored Unjury, Dannon Light and Fit Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, tuna and egg salad minced very fine. I struggled with eggs and heavier proteins for the first 6-8 weeks postop.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I would try the Dannon Light & Fit Greek Yogurt. I like the cherry flavor the best. It goes down pretty easy.
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I second the vote for Dannon Light & Fit. I'm trying it for the first time this week and it's definitely the best flavored yogurt out there. It's only 80 calories with zero fat. My favorite is the Key Lime.

Pureed foods was tough. I isopure'd up some mashed sweet potatoes with lite butter/substitute of some sort. Refried beans were a savior. Fat-free cottage cheese was a staple (and still is almost 5 months out) because you can't beat the protein content.

I also cheated a little bit and made things like a simple chicken salad (chicken, mustard, pickle relish) and just chewed very, very thoroughly and slowly until it was totally pureed in my mouth. For whatever reason, it was easier for me to do that than to look at actual pureed meat, which may be the most unappealing looking food ever. If you do decide to puree the meat, add in some non-fat gravy as your moisture and it tends to give it a less bland flavor.

Hang in there! You'll be through this stage before you know it.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Oh man - eggs are tough! I am almost 5 months out and I still have a hard time with eggs. I would certainly try something different like yogurt, cottage cheese, ricotta bake, pureed chicken with sour cream and guacamole (my personal favorite)...
  • dzoerner
    dzoerner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Being that my surgery was 4/1/15, I badly craved an Easter egg. When I finally smashed one up, it promptly made me sick and I quickly lost that craving. I did eat Gerber ' s Stage 2 meats, but not straight out of the jar! I added salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. Oh, and I heated it in the microwave in a small bowl. It wasn't great, but I did get it in.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking smoked salmon mousse could be a good option...though I would miss the blini and caviar that makes it extra wonderful.
  • TN_Tinker
    TN_Tinker Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have to add ketchup to my eggs to get them down
  • Cronniss
    Cronniss Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have a tough time with eggs early on, so try them a little at a time. When I first had them I'd hard boil them with a soft yolk (about 8 minutes), and then I would chop up the egg & whip it up with just a touch of Miracle Whip Light to make it creamy. (Not even a teaspoon's worth.)

One thing I did while eating mashed potatoes was that since we'd normally have those with steak I'd take the juices from the plate that the steaks were on & drizzle it on top of the potatoes. So then I'd have my steak & mashed potatoes! :D
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thinking of you and hope the last few days have been easier!
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Thank you all for the support and ideas. I'm still sticking with the Dannon 80 cal greek yogurt in the morning, a protein shake throughout the day, and refried beans with a couple tablespoons for tuna or salmon for lunch. Dinner is when I experiment a bit and still find it a big struggle to get more than 3-4 bites in before I feel maxed out. I may just stick with soup and unflavored protein powder in the evenings this week. I enjoy cooking and it doesn't bother me to make a nice meal for my family and sit with them while they enjoy it so I feel blessed about that. My emotional adjustment has been positive - thankfully!

Someone asked about going onto the next stage when the date rolls around - I haven't had much luck with that so I'm going at the pace my new stomach can handle it. Reaching my protein goal each day is a bit of a roller coaster, but I have been able to exercise again and am feeling much better physically. I know it's just a matter of time before life gets a little more normal so I'm just taking it day by day. Thanks again to everyone. I really appreciate the help.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Reaching your goals is definitely more important to worry about than stages, at least in the first month or so.
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cronniss wrote: »
    A lot of people have a tough time with eggs early on, so try them a little at a time. When I first had them I'd hard boil them with a soft yolk (about 8 minutes), and then I would chop up the egg & whip it up with just a touch of Miracle Whip Light to make it creamy. (Not even a teaspoon's worth.)

One thing I did while eating mashed potatoes was that since we'd normally have those with steak I'd take the juices from the plate that the steaks were on & drizzle it on top of the potatoes. So then I'd have my steak & mashed potatoes! :D

I found that to be so odd that eggs are tough. I haven't had the surgery yet but my Dr's post op 3 week diet is one egg plus the first 2 week's food. How am I going to follow is diet if eggs are so tough for everyone?
  • badhair56
    badhair56 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    ssbeadlady wrote: »
    Cronniss wrote: »

I found that to be so odd that eggs are tough. I haven't had the surgery yet but my Dr's post op 3 week diet is one egg plus the first 2 week's food. How am I going to follow is diet if eggs are so tough for everyone?

eggs aren't a problem for everyone. i had no problems with eggs, and could count on being able to eat them when other foods didn't work. just make sure you don't overcook them or they will be rubbery