Puree Stage is not a picnic

Options

Replies

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Eggs - oh how I miss my over easy eggs. Today I was finally able to eat 1/4 cup of egg beater egg whites scrambled. It took me 40 minutes to get them all in but they didn't make me feel bad so I'm happy about that.

If your'e planning to try eggs in the first two weeks I would recommend NO YOLK! That would be very tough on the stomach, and I'd add water or milk and scramble them up as light as possible. Good luck!
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I also have not had any problem with eggs, thankfully. The best scrambled egg I've ever had was the first one I could eat after surgery.
  • greenbaymichk
    greenbaymichk Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I had scrambled eggs in the hospital that were disgusting - haven't been able to look at a scrambled egg since.

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    My first solid food post surgery was an egg as well. Two weeks pre-surgery on liquids, two weeks post surgery and the the doctor told me I could try soft foods and skip purées if I could tolerate them and get enough protein in. That first scrambled egg was heavenly!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was told to avoid eggs for about the first 6 months as they are very dense and harder to digest than other food. In that stage I was pretty much taking regular food and running it through the blender with some broth. Whatever the husband was eating protein wise is what I used (well other than his beloved hot dogs). So for instance, baked chicken with some broth until smooth. One breast would feed me for several meals. Like everyone else said, hang in there. These phases seem to pass really quickly.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Eggs were rough until I whipped in a tbsp of whipped chive cream cheese and don't overcook them - made them fluffy and light and don't sweat not being able to eat the whole thing in the beginning a tablespoon or two was all I got in so that is what I logged I am three months out and some days a 1/4cup is toughand yet I see others eating a lot more - every pouch is different, you are doing just fine listen to your body...you will get there <3
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Thanks - I've tried to listen to by body. That over full feeling is delayed by about 5 minutes so I guess I need to start counting my bites. I just had to throw up for the first time after lunch today. I keep making the mistake of trying to wash my food down with liquid. An old habit that is much harder to break than I'd imagined. It will take me a while but I'll get it. As far as my pouch size I'd have to say VERY SMALL!! Using a baby spoon and I'm luck to get 7-8 spoonfuls in at one sitting. It also depends on the food. Today it was tuna and cottage cheese. The isopure I sipped on after didn't fit very well. Live and learn.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with any cooked meat. If I can shred it and mix it with a little avocado it goes down easier. Sometimes the dryness of the food makes it feel stuck so marinating or mixing with a good fat helps. Texture seems to be a big one for me.
  • rpyle111
    Options
    No drinking while eating was a big learning step for me. I threw up more from that than anything else eating related. After I eat, I do my best to wait 30 minutes before drinking anything. I learned that this wait is for two reasons. One, I won't have room in my stomach for the liquid, and two, the liquid will wash out what's in the stomach and I will feel hungry more quickly. Lots of reasons for me to break the eat/drink habit.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    RENAEJAE wrote: »
    Thanks - I've tried to listen to by body. That over full feeling is delayed by about 5 minutes so I guess I need to start counting my bites. I just had to throw up for the first time after lunch today. I keep making the mistake of trying to wash my food down with liquid. An old habit that is much harder to break than I'd imagined. It will take me a while but I'll get it. As far as my pouch size I'd have to say VERY SMALL!! Using a baby spoon and I'm luck to get 7-8 spoonfuls in at one sitting. It also depends on the food. Today it was tuna and cottage cheese. The isopure I sipped on after didn't fit very well. Live and learn.

One thing I learned early was my "full cue". It's not the same for everyone and the person who turned me on to this said hers is when she starts hiccupping. Well I found out that by the time I start hiccupping I'm overfull and need to throw up. For me, the full cue is when I feel like I need to burp and if I don't stop eating at that point I will throw up. I won't lose the whole meal, just the "too much". Even if I do burp, I still need to be done at that point. And adding liquid after I hit my full cue? Another not so good idea for me. Again, everyone is different, so as others say "listen to your body", figure out what your cue is and then watch for it as you eat. Knowing this makes your life a whole lot easier. ;)

• RENAEJAE
    Options
    Great advice - thank you both. I am counting my bites today and watching for cues. I also find that I may need some Benefiber added to my water. Just one more nasty side effect from all this protein.
  • rpyle111
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    RENAEJAE wrote: »

One thing I learned early was my "full cue". It's not the same for everyone and the person who turned me on to this said hers is when she starts hiccupping. Well I found out that by the time I start hiccupping I'm overfull and need to throw up. For me, the full cue is when I feel like I need to burp and if I don't stop eating at that point I will throw up. I won't lose the whole meal, just the "too much". Even if I do burp, I still need to be done at that point. And adding liquid after I hit my full cue? Another not so good idea for me. Again, everyone is different, so as others say "listen to your body", figure out what your cue is and then watch for it as you eat. Knowing this makes your life a whole lot easier. ;)

I learned this from Pat and I also learned that there is a 10-15 second delay in my body between eating something and getting that 'full' cue. If I do not eat each bite slowly, I can already have eaten the 'too much' bite when I get the cue. Another reinforcement of the "rules" about eating slowly and mindfully. Sometimes, rules are learned best by negative reinforcement ! :o

Rob
  • cmchandler74
    cmchandler74 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    How true this is! I'm almost five months out and I'm still learning this occasionally. I threw up for the second time since surgery last night because I ate too quickly and missed the cue. By the time I felt it, it was too late and the "too much" came right back up.

I do like that I have to be so hyper-aware of what food does to my body. I personally find it crucial to retraining my poor eating habits that got me where I was in the first place.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Yesterday was much better. I counted and took extra time between bites. I agree that having these built in cues will help me keep things in check in the future. I never want to go back to those horrible habits! Thanks for all your wisdom guys.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I am still learning my full cue too after three months but like others have said texture plays a big part for me, and no liquids forf at least thirty mins the heavier the food the longer the wait, it's such a journey isn't it ;) well worth it though <3
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Phase 4 started this week. Ground foods. I'm sticking with 2-3 protein shakes a day and adding bits of food here and there. Really paying attention to my cues this week. I drank too soon after eating last weekend (again) and up it came again. Lesson learned. Slow down . . . be patient . . . no drinking after eating.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    @Ranaejae When I was having that problem for awhile, I set a timer app on my phone that I usually use for my kids to go off 40 mins after I was done eating. It really helped me be mindful and not drink too soon. The drinking while/right after eating was a very hard habit for me to break.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Thanks - I may need to give that a try. I wake up so dehydrated. I need to focus on taking in more liquid between meals I guess.
  • anbrdr
    anbrdr Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Was given permission to begin pureed foods today, awesome. First meal was some black bean soup, tossed into the blender for a few seconds. Looked horrid, but tasted so good. I need to buy some unflavored protein to add in.
  • sinderstorm
    sinderstorm Posts: 225 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @anbrdr I really recommend the unflavored Musclegen protein powder, it is more temperature resistant and has less of a texture than the Unjury powder. Amazon has it the cheapest I've found. Just make sure you heat your food first, then mix it in. It has explosive results in the microwave. ;)