Protein Intake on Fast Days

Hi All,

I've just started the 5:2 diet. I've also recently returned to vegetarianism after about 10 years away.

As soon as I cut out meat, chicken and fish, I started to keep a close eye on my protein intake. I'm worried I'm not getting enough protein on fast days (and that's with e.g. an egg or a quorn burger patty).

Is it just always going to follow that your protein intake will drop when you greatly reduce your calorie intake? Is this something meat eaters find too? If so, I guess this must have been taken into account and considered ok when the diet was devised...?

I have a cookbook for high protein veggie meals but it doesn't give you calories, and a veggie 5:2 one that doesn't tell you about protein content. Can anyone share ideas about good low calorie protein sources? I'll probably give tofu a go next time...

Thanks. :smile:

Laura

Replies

• Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    More Protein, Less Calories: The Vegan Weight-Loss Formula http://www.fitsugar.com/High-Protein-Low-Calorie-Vegan-Recipes-31723215

Google is my friend :)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    5:2 Vegetarian http://5-2veg.tumblr.com/?og=1 ooh another one!!
  • lauramckendrick609
    lauramckendrick609 Posts: 14 Member
    Thank you. I love how everyone helps each other out on here.

I actually already have tofu and miso paste (got the latter online, but the blogger Celia says you can get it in Sainsbury's - hurrah!) so the soup is totally doable and it's great that she gives an exact calorie count.

Take care,

Laura
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    I drink a protein drink on fast days - 160 calories. That's my lunch
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Hi All,

I've just started the 5:2 diet. I've also recently returned to vegetarianism after about 10 years away.

As soon as I cut out meat, chicken and fish, I started to keep a close eye on my protein intake. I'm worried I'm not getting enough protein on fast days (and that's with e.g. an egg or a quorn burger patty).

Is it just always going to follow that your protein intake will drop when you greatly reduce your calorie intake? Is this something meat eaters find too? If so, I guess this must have been taken into account and considered ok when the diet was devised...?

I have a cookbook for high protein veggie meals but it doesn't give you calories, and a veggie 5:2 one that doesn't tell you about protein content. Can anyone share ideas about good low calorie protein sources? I'll probably give tofu a go next time...

Thanks. :smile:

Laura

I don't really know of good low calorie veg protein, cept maybe chickpeas. Sorry, I reckon some googling might turn up something for you. Only wanted to say that you need complete amino acids, whether vegetarian or meat eater.