Help, please. What am I doing wrong?

wheatlessgirl66
wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
I began MFP on Feb 1 weighing 229.2 lbs. Today I weight 217, which means that after all this time on keto, including almost a month of ZC, I've lost only 12.2 lbs. Most of that happened during the first month. I'm not losing anything in measurements, either. I've been at a standstill; the only change is gaining/losing the same three pounds over and over again. I've kept carbs below 20 most of the time, but have tried increasing them to see if it would stir things up. I've also done some IF but stopped b/c I've read it increases cortisol. It didn't seem to make a difference in weight though.

At this point I really don't know what to do or what I'm doing wrong. I know the "your body is taking time to heal" mantra, which I'm sure is true. But shouldn't I lose a new pound once in a while, or a 1/4 inch somewhere? How is it possible to eat like this and not lose weight or inches? Does everyone lose weight on low carb, or does it not work for some people? I'm 68, which contributes to the difficulty but hopefully doesn't make weight loss impossible. I am not diabetic.

My diary is open and I would love some feedback. Thank you.

Replies

• m_puppy
    m_puppy Posts: 246 Member
    Well, first you have to take the weights out of your pockets ;) For real though it sounds like your body is fighting the weight loss with everything it has. There will be a lot of people here that can give you some useful advice. I wanted to tell you that I hear you, I understand your feelings and you have every right to feel frustrated right now. Attempting to lose weight and not losing it can be incredibly disheartening and quite honestly slightly defeating.

A couple of questions that I know will come up with responses:
    - What were you doing for diet/exercise prior to February? (What was the process that got you here today?)
    - I assume you've dieted before. Is there a diet that worked for you in the past?
    - When is the last time you had a physical with a full panel and what were the results?

There are a lot of women (and men) that are 50+ on here that will have some ideas specific for your age.

I know when I try really hard at eating right or exercising regularly and I see no results, it's very hard for me to keep going. Good job on sticking with it for this length of time! Good luck!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    I need one more piece of info. I need to know how tall you are. I suspect you just aren't eating enough. Some days you don't have much more than 1000 cals. Your body will hold onto weight if it isn't getting sufficient fuel.

So we know you're 68 and 217lb. I need to know how tall you are and then I can plug your stats into a keto calc. or you can do it.
    Also, I can't remember whether you exercise or not. That makes a difference as well.

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    I'm going to be "that person" and ask the obvious... are you weighing your food and are you sure that the entries you're choosing are correct?
  • baconslave
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    I'm going to be "that person" and ask the obvious... are you weighing your food and are you sure that the entries you're choosing are correct?

Well I would have gotten to that too eventually if my first suspicion didn't pan out.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Dear Wheatlessgirl,
    I'm so sorry you have been struggling! You've been so faithful and patient, and always a delight on MFP.
    This opinion might not be popular here :smile: but I am going to suggest you take a look at the effects of fiber on hormone regulation...?? When I look back to your diary in February, you were getting many more veggies (although y were also eating higher carbs). I was convicted of this myself after doing some reading on the issue, so I ramped my non-starchy vegetable intake back up, and added chia seeds in water. I already feel hormonally better (I am premenopausal). Just something for you to investigate - I think the health benefits for women are well-documented, and perhaps it just might recharge your weight loss...?? Just a thought...maybe a piece of the puzzle.
    I wish you all the best!!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    baconslave wrote: »
    I need one more piece of info. I need to know how tall you are. I suspect you just aren't eating enough. Some days you don't have much more than 1000 cals. Your body will hold onto weight if it isn't getting sufficient fuel.

So we know you're 68 and 217lb. I need to know how tall you are and then I can plug your stats into a keto calc. or you can do it.
    Also, I can't remember whether you exercise or not. That makes a difference as well.

I'm 5'3" and I'm mostly sedentary but use the recumbent bicycle 2-3 times a week for 20 min. I don't know whether to increase it, or if it would increase cortisol. I used the keto calculator to set my macros and calories.

Thank you for your help, baconslave.
  • Healthymom_5
    Wheatlessgirl,
    I would not worry about increased cortisol unless you have a history with that? If you can increase exercise to 5-6 days, that would probably be optimal...if you are able.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    bluefish86 wrote: »

Well I would have gotten to that too eventually if my first suspicion didn't pan out.

Sometimes it's the obvious stuff we miss.

I went for months not logging the milk in my tea (I was drinking a LOT of tea when I first got to England)...
    250ml per day and 14 grams of carbs! And I was so confused as to why I wasn't in ketosis!
  • baconslave

I'm 5'3" and I'm mostly sedentary but use the recumbent bicycle 2-3 times a week for 20 min. I don't know whether to increase it, or if it would increase cortisol. I used the keto calculator to set my macros and calories.

My calc says your BMR estimate is 1485 cal. You should be eating at least around your BMR. Your cal goal on your diary is set for 1400. Don't eat a cal less than that. My opinion, of course. Try meeting your calorie goal for a month, or even as much as 1500, and see if that doesn't do it. If that doesn't help, at least you know and can rule that out from the list of possible things that could be the culprit.

If you are having trouble reaching that, sneak a half tbsp of fats in here and there through your day. And eating up to 20g of carbs isn't going to hurt you any.

And like Bluefish said, make sure you are measuring accurately and using quality entries just to be safe. (Not saying that you aren't. It just doesn't hurt to remind. I get lazy measuring food myself from time to time from being busy and burnt out from tracking like mad. And I still sometimes find I've been using wonky food entries! Urgh!)

HTH.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    edited July 2015
    To answer the other questions. Yes, I've had a fairly recent lipid panel done, and my doctor was pleased with all the improvements and I'm in the normal range now.

Yes, I weigh my food and try to get accurate logging in my diary. Even if I choose one that's inaccurate, I try to have enough leeway that I don't go way over my calories or macros. I really am trying to do this correctly b/c I'm desperate to lose weight and be healthier.

I've dieted for forever. I followed my doctor's instructions to keep a goal of 1200 calories. I stopped eating wheat, most grains and sugar about 4 years ago. I've had times when I exercised faithfully, but also long stretches when I did little.

I didn't begin LC until March, so my carbs were higher prior to that. I'm reluctant to add starchy vegs b/c I gain weight so easily, and I also start craving more of them. My appetite is under control and I hate to wake a sleeping beast. ;)

Edited to add: In having the goal of 1200 cals, I didn't do that perfectly, but overall I did pretty well. I've never been a "eat the whole bag or pint of ice cream" girl.
  • Healthymom_5
    Yes, no reason to add starchy veggies! Perhaps adding non-starchy for their many benefits? I'm thinking leptin and other hormone regulation....
  • wheatlessgirl66
    Yeah, I recently increased my calories to 1400 after reading a comment to someone about eating at BMR level. I've still been running short of it, but will increase fats to get there if I have to. I'm so programmed for 'less is better' that it's hard to allow myself to go that high every day; seems so risky. But I'll try it if it's the right thing to do.

I'll increase the exercise too. We're getting a black lab pup next month; that oughta help! I had a cortisol saliva test 2-3 years ago that showed I was all mixed up. The doctor never did anything to help me with that (I don't think she knew what to do), but I have a CPAP now and sleep is somewhat better. I'm not sure where my cortisol is now. I have the symptoms, but my new dr doesn't think I have a problem. Who knows...?

I do keep my food scale on my counter so it's handy to weigh everything. I have sometimes forgotten to add the butter that I cook my eggs in, etc. Increasing calories means I'll really have to be careful to log every bit. Thanks for the reminders!

I assume that since my carbs have remained low that I'm in ketosis. I get 'that taste' in my mouth occasionally, esp when my calories are particularly low. I don't do the keto strips anymore.

Thank you all for your feedback; I really appreciate it!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member

My calc says your BMR estimate is 1485 cal. You should be eating at least around your BMR. Your cal goal on your diary is set for 1400. Don't eat a cal less than that. My opinion, of course. Try meeting your calorie goal for a month, or even as much as 1500, and see if that doesn't do it. If that doesn't help, at least you know and can rule that out from the list of possible things that could be the culprit.

If you are having trouble reaching that, sneak a half tbsp of fats in here and there through your day. And eating up to 20g of carbs isn't going to hurt you any.

And like Bluefish said, make sure you are measuring accurately and using quality entries just to be safe. (Not saying that you aren't. It just doesn't hurt to remind. I get lazy measuring food myself from time to time from being busy and burnt out from tracking like mad. And I still sometimes find I've been using wonky food entries! Urgh!)

HTH.

I so agree with @Baconsalve. If nothing else has worked, try raising your calories. I know it sounds counterproductive, and as you said, your doc says 1200, but they ALL say that without care given to your personal details. That's the default. And mostly on LC, we need more cals because of the way the engine burns now...well, not need, necessary, but can allow.

Eating fewer calories that your body needs will just create a never ending cycle of your metabolism slowing more and more making fewer and fewer calories allowed for the same losses. Your metabolism is going to sleep. You need to wake it up. In fact, it may be kind of like a minimum fuel level - if you eat below that, it's going to turn down the burners.

I'd sincerely up your calories to the 1400-1500 range for 4-6 weeks. The first week or two you might gain a little, but don't panic. You can always go back down to your 1200 and get back to where you were... But as many things as you've tried lately on faith, I suggest you try this, too....
  • wheatlessgirl66
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

HTH.

I so agree with @Baconsalve. If nothing else has worked, try raising your calories. I know it sounds counterproductive, and as you said, your doc says 1200, but they ALL say that without care given to your personal details. That's the default. And mostly on LC, we need more cals because of the way the engine burns now...well, not need, necessary, but can allow.

Eating fewer calories that your body needs will just create a never ending cycle of your metabolism slowing more and more making fewer and fewer calories allowed for the same losses. Your metabolism is going to sleep. You need to wake it up. In fact, it may be kind of like a minimum fuel level - if you eat below that, it's going to turn down the burners.

I'd sincerely up your calories to the 1400-1500 range for 4-6 weeks. The first week or two you might gain a little, but don't panic. You can always go back down to your 1200 and get back to where you were... But as many things as you've tried lately on faith, I suggest you try this, too....

Yeah, I've been trying a lot of things trying to get weight loss going. I even tried to increase calories for a while, but got confused between increasing calories and eating according to hunger. When I do that, as in ZC, I struggled to get over 1000. I guess I've actually been working hard against myself. :s

I'll work on getting my calories up to BMR range. Scary, but I'll do it. And I'll be the happiest girl on the planet if it works!

Thank you for your help!
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    I'm sending you every wish that this works dear Ellen. You've been far more patient and determined than anyone I've ever known.
  • tlmeyn
    tlmeyn Posts: 369 Member
    Yep.. looking at your diary, You are not eating enough. I am 52 started off at about 265... but I was eating 1800 cals a day. I have lost 40lbs since March. It's not fast. 5-6 lbs a month (after the initial 15 pound drop) but it's moving. .... just try. seems counter intuitive, but it will probably work :smile:
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    No idea on the weight loss, but congrats on the black lab puppy! My dog and I get our daily 10K steps in. Don't know if it helps with weight loss, but we both have fun trying. :)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    I'm sending you every wish that this works dear Ellen. You've been far more patient and determined than anyone I've ever known.

Oh May---you're so sweet. Thank you. I don't feel very patient, but I'm thankful it appears that way... and desperation breeds determination, evidently. ;)
  • wheatlessgirl66
    tlmeyn wrote: »
    Yep.. looking at your diary, You are not eating enough. I am 52 started off at about 265... but I was eating 1800 cals a day. I have lost 40lbs since March. It's not fast. 5-6 lbs a month (after the initial 15 pound drop) but it's moving. .... just try. seems counter intuitive, but it will probably work :smile:

Congratulations on your loss--that's fantastic! I hope I have that response to increasing my calories!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wabmester wrote: »
    No idea on the weight loss, but congrats on the black lab puppy! My dog and I get our daily 10K steps in. Don't know if it helps with weight loss, but we both have fun trying. :)

Ha! You've encouraged me in the past and I'm grateful. Thanks for the congrats on the puppy. We never thought we'd do this again, but here we go. We're doing it for our disabled son who lives with us. He is beyond ecstatic! It's so worth it to see him so happy.