Help, please. What am I doing wrong?

2»

Replies

• teresa4757
    teresa4757 Posts: 17 Member
    Doing just low carb didnt work for me, i just stayed at the same weight. In order to lose I had to cut out dairy too.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    teresa4757 wrote: »
    Doing just low carb didnt work for me, i just stayed at the same weight. In order to lose I had to cut out dairy too.

Thanks for the tip, Teresa. I will keep that in mind. I went dairy free for a while and it didn't seem to make a difference. I was recently eating yogurt while on antibiotic per doc's orders, but normally just eat butter and cheese.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    So are these macro settings good? Or do they need to be adjusted?

Calories 1485
    Carbohydrates 19 g 5 %
    Fat 116 g 70 %
    Protein 93 g 25 %

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Protein may end up being low depending on your activity, so that one can be a little fluid, but otherwise those numbers look fabulous!
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Dear Ellen...I was so sad to see you writing for help after being sooo good and do determined. You are a definite role model for us in terms of staying power and in maintaining your lovely humour and support for others.
    I have been thinking about your lack of weightloss a lot the last couple of weeks and keep coming back to the cortisol problem!!! I know I have mentioned it to you before and your acute reaction to supplements etc but I would urge you to find someone who can help turn the cortisol button down....your fibro adds to it and you said your Dr did nothing. I just have this niggle that it's the problem!!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    You are 68? This is interesting. My grandma and I both started with weightloss and MFP at about the same time (I a week before her). She is also 68.

She has lost 6.2kg since Jan 11th and most of that was at the start. I am 32 years old and lost 34.6kg. She eats less than I do, and we are the same height.

She takes a lot of medication for rheumatoid arthritis which she wonders if that isn't helping. She can't stop taking them as the pain is too severe otherwise.

I know she is really frustrated. She has been stuck at 75kg for weeks and weeks.

So sorry that you are working so hard and not getting the results you deserve.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Protein may end up being low depending on your activity, so that one can be a little fluid, but otherwise those numbers look fabulous!

Thanks, Knit. I was afraid of the protein being too high, so you're reassuring.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    jumanajane wrote: »
    Dear Ellen...I was so sad to see you writing for help after being sooo good and do determined. You are a definite role model for us in terms of staying power and in maintaining your lovely humour and support for others.
    I have been thinking about your lack of weightloss a lot the last couple of weeks and keep coming back to the cortisol problem!!! I know I have mentioned it to you before and your acute reaction to supplements etc but I would urge you to find someone who can help turn the cortisol button down....your fibro adds to it and you said your Dr did nothing. I just have this niggle that it's the problem!!

Thank you, Jane, for your kind words! I'm not sure of the cortisol, either. It's very difficult in our area to find a doctor who will look at everything and be of help. I keep trying new ones. I talk to them beforehand to see if they are able to help. Of course they do!---until I'm actually their patient. Then all the helpfulness dissipates. But yes, I'll keep at it.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    FWIW, studies have shown that higher protein improves health of those over 65 -- it helps reduce muscle loss.

You're fighting a tough fight. I was hoping one of your experiments would pay off. The carnivore diet looked promising. If you still think it works for you, I wouldn't worry about the 1000 calories you were hitting on that diet. People have gone lower for longer with no negative side effects.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    edited July 2015
    I was just thinking that you're an inch shorter than me and 20 pounds lighter, so our body fat should be somewhat similar, and I know my protein range is about 80-135.... So using rough estimations, yours would be somewhat similar to that... Here's the blog I did for myself about calculating protein needs.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/KnitOrMiss/view/how-to-calculate-your-protein-needs-749965

Also, even some less active folks need the higher end of their protein range to feel full and satisfied, due to the way their metabolism is wired or higher muscle weight or something, so ymmv...
  • wheatlessgirl66
    minties82 wrote: »
    You are 68? This is interesting. My grandma and I both started with weightloss and MFP at about the same time (I a week before her). She is also 68.

She has lost 6.2kg since Jan 11th and most of that was at the start. I am 32 years old and lost 34.6kg. She eats less than I do, and we are the same height.

She takes a lot of medication for rheumatoid arthritis which she wonders if that isn't helping. She can't stop taking them as the pain is too severe otherwise.

I know she is really frustrated. She has been stuck at 75kg for weeks and weeks.

So sorry that you are working so hard and not getting the results you deserve.

Thank you, Minties. I've read all your weight loss reports and am so pleased for you that you've had such success! The change in your weight and health is remarkable. I'm sure your grandmother is proud of you, and I'm also sure she'd love to have more success herself. I know that meds are sometimes culprits in preventing weight loss. I'm sorry she's having such difficulty. I sure do know what it feels like. You're so smart to tackle weight loss while you're young and it's much easier to deal with. :) Best wishes to both of you.
  • iambuttercup
    iambuttercup Posts: 31 Member
    Possibly insulin resistant, I had same problem, and weightloss is extremely slow or non happening. Have to keep my calories and protein up as I will def stall out if eating less then I should. I even take Victoza shots to help me with weight loss, and it is a slow process. Eating enough is very important while low carb for insulin resistance, as the body is like in starvation mode and holds on for dear life. Your body will eventually give up some weight if you are vigilant eating healthy wholesome non processed food. And you will feel better for it, making it easier to move and get going with whatever life has handed you.
    I gained weight on most diets, including low carb, but have been eating wholesome healthy low carb for a long time. Not until I started in Victoza did my weight shift from 237 to now 209. It took a year to get here. My goal is around 165, and I am 52. Only thanks to a doctor that realized my body was broken and Victoza could help (i am not diabetic) did I come out of my weight gain hell. I cried with every pound I lost in disbelief.
    It is not your fault when things are broken, and there is a light at the end of a really long tunnel. In the mean time celebrate your achievements, every day you nurture yourself with good healthy food, and all the love you are showing yourself by tuning into your needs.