Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

I'm new and need friends!

shrinkinmama27
shrinkinmama27 Posts: 36 Member
Hi everyone! I'm a 30 year old single mother that is DESPERATELY in need of losing 60-80lbs. Four years ago I was in the best shape of my life at 125lbs, but then things took a turn for the worse, and the stress packed on the pounds. I'm now 195lbs ( this is the first time I've ever admitted that ever!) and I don't even want to be in pictures with my son or my boyfriend.

10 months ago I started dating the wonderful man I am with right now, and I want nothing more than to get back to 125lbs before we get married! He loves me just fine now, and even says he's scared if I lose too much weight I'll be too gross and skinny ( never going to happen).

So yeah, I'm the largest I've ever been in my life, except for right after I delivered my son, and I'm at my wits end. I'm starting a Ketogenic Diet today and would LOVE any tips or advice from someone. I could also just use some friends that I can talk honestly about my weight with. I'm too embarrassed to talk to any of my friends or family about just how big I really am and it's lonely doing this thing alone.

Oh yeah, and my name is Moriah. Nice to meet you!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Firstly, there is another group that covers all low carbing, and they're a great group of folks, so I recommend Keto people do both groups because not all of the info is overlap. The launchpad stickie post there has a ton of good info.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

I'll send you a friend invite. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment with personal stuff, but I'm happy to answer any questions.

Main things: stay hydrated - this WOE naturally drops a lot of retained water, keep up on sodium - because when water drops, so does sodium - 4500 mg minimum a day recommended during the first few weeks; if you feel crummy, add sodium first, then potassium and magnesium - these are generally keys to avoiding the low carb flu; and DO NOT COUNT CALORIES DURING THE FIRST FEW WEEKS - just focus on keeping your carbs under a limit, your protein should be a range based on weight, and fats to fill in the gaps. You need extra calories to help your system properly convert.

And my heaviest was 319 (recorded, anyway). I'm DOWN to 240. I will be 39 next week, and I'm 5'4" to give you some perspective. And I learned a long time ago that people saw me as I was whether I was in pictures or not, so I was the only one facing something I'd been avoiding by staying out of pictures. I was that big and my family loved me that way anyway. Since I didn't want my kiddo and family not to having ZERO pictures of me should the worst happen, I stopped avoiding pictures and spent some long days/months/years learning to love myself exactly as I was! Good luck to you all the way around.

Carly
  • shrinkinmama27
    shrinkinmama27 Posts: 36 Member
    Thank you so much! Yeah, noticing that I need lots of water, and adding Himalayan pink salt to a lot of things! I appreciate the advice!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    I often use Lite salt or nosalt for sodium and potassium, whichever is needed the most that day.