Visceral Fat

Options
deksgrl
deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
Something was mentioned in passing in another thread about this WOE being effective for reducing visceral fat. I'm interested in learning more about this, studies (in layman's terms), anectdotes, etc. I used the search on the forum and didn't come up with anything useful.

My biggest "trouble spot" is my belly. I am interested in fat reduction since I am close to high end of ideal weight for my height and frame. I am probably between 28-30% bf which at age 52 is in the acceptable range. And I am okay with how I look, except for the beer belly look. It IS reducing, I have taken in two holes on my belt in two months eating this way.

My rudimentary understanding of it is: by being fat adapted, my body is using the fat for energy, including the visceral fat? And this is why even though the scale isn't showing a lot of movement, there is inches lost?

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I understand subcutaneous fat as first access. Visceral fat is secondary access and some is always stored and emergency starvation survival stores

Even ultra ripped body builders have that emergency visceral fat.

That is my understanding after a few conversations and article reads on the topic

Scale not moving and inches going down means your body density is changing

You are made of more hard heavy stuff and less fluffy stuff.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I was made to understand that the visceral burns first on this WOE (versus others) because of the specific metabolic process of low carbing. Did you see the progress pics I posted the other day? I don't want to spam another thread. It was only a total loss of 14 pounds but I went from looking 7 months pregnant to just a little lumpy...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Belly fat can be either visceral or subcutaneous (likely both). If it hangs in folds, it's mostly subcutaneous.

Visceral fat is a subset of ectopic fat -- fat in places it doesn't really belong. All ectopic fat seems to be associated with health risks, which is why it's of interest to researchers.

Several studies have found that LC diets reduce visceral fat more than other diets. Here's one at random:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15331203?dopt=Abstract

I don't know if anyone has published a theory about why this is, but I have my own. When carbs are high, they get converted to fat by the liver. Some of that fat gets stored directly in and around the liver. When the process is reversed, and the liver is starved of carbs and needs to partially oxidize fat to make ketones, perhaps it first uses fat in the closest proximity -- in and around the liver.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    I was made to understand that the visceral burns first on this WOE (versus others) because of the specific metabolic process of low carbing. Did you see the progress pics I posted the other day? I don't want to spam another thread. It was only a total loss of 14 pounds but I went from looking 7 months pregnant to just a little lumpy...

I got to know a little more about internal fat from my internist

I had fatty liver, and associated pains. He eventually helped me start my weight loss journey

And as a huge benefit there has never been a hint of fatty liver pain since starting weight loss on lower carb eating

I agree LC does something to visceral fat

It has to. I am down to 32 waist pants and that is just amazing to me. More like unbelievable. But the Dr is not surprised.

LC is not magical. But I think there may be some things that happen when we get fat adapted for fuel and do long bouts of exercise. At a point that visceral fat is getting burnt

This weekend I plan another long intense cardio bike trip burning 1700-2000 calories. I know that is a new thing and a distinct slimming of my torso had been a recent development

Maybe it is related.

I agree with Wab. I would like to see if there are any studies

• deksgrl
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »
    Belly fat can be either visceral or subcutaneous (likely both). If it hangs in folds, it's mostly subcutaneous.

Yes, there is some subcutaneous, I can tell because it is definitely sitting on top of the muscles. When I tense the muscles I can poke or pinch and feel that top layer of fat. But then still, the whole stomach and abdomen is protruding even when tense so underneath the muscle there is something causing it to push out.

@Knit, yes I did see the pics, really noticeable difference.

@professionalHobbyist - I'm not doing much exercise at the present time, so the lost inches isn't recomp due to exercise.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Remember too, that women are genetically geared to hold onto some abdominal fat. This is for survival of the species, so that women can procreate and survive, even in times of famine. It is genetically programmed, so that tends to be the very last fat most women lose.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    Yes

We need you to keep us going!

• deksgrl
    Options
    Yes, I'm not talking about going to some unrealistically low body fat %, especially at my age, some belly fat would be expected. I'm happy with the progress, just wanting to understand better what is going on.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Remember too, that women are genetically geared to hold onto some abdominal fat. This is for survival of the species, so that women can procreate and survive, even in times of famine. It is genetically programmed, so that tends to be the very last fat most women lose.

Great..... and just when I come to terms with everything else and start celebrating being a woman, I get one more thing to knock it upside down! :p That's okay, LOL. I still beat my husband in Call of Duty.

Joking aside, I lose everywhere else first normally, so I can agree with this. Tummy is always the last to go.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    Well you could be a guy and deal with the no booty syndrome

We typically lose any body fat in the back pockets and have nothing in back to hold our pants up

I guess we all have our challenges

I have that inch to pinch on my flanks but at least it does not hang over the belt now!
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Well you could be a guy and deal with the no booty syndrome

Some women have that problem too, hence the popularity of Bret Contreras workouts, but I'm not one of them. lol.
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    I'm not one of the cool kids I guess...

I don't know who Bret Contreras is..

But I got a trainer about 9 months ago that get me on kettle bell swings and stiff leg deadlifts

Magic happened!

• deksgrl
    Options
    Bret Contreras, author of "Strong Curves: A Woman’s Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body"
    http://bretcontreras.com/about-me/
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    :lol: I'm afraid of losing my butt since I've got a perfect one; so, I'll be looking into Bret for preventative care for that. :tongue: Otherwise, bumping for research too even if they are scientific.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes

We need you to keep us going!

Why couldn't it have been left to the men. I like seahorses for that very reason. :p
  • professionalHobbyist
    Options
    My trainer is a woman that teaches a boot camp.

And since women work their booty often, she has helped me out lots.

Ironic
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    wabmester wrote: »

Visceral fat is a subset of ectopic fat -- fat in places it doesn't really belong. All ectopic fat seems to be associated with health risks, which is why it's of interest to researchers.

Several studies have found that LC diets reduce visceral fat more than other diets. Here's one at random:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15331203?dopt=Abstract

I don't know if anyone has published a theory about why this is, but I have my own. When carbs are high, they get converted to fat by the liver. Some of that fat gets stored directly in and around the liver. When the process is reversed, and the liver is starved of carbs and needs to partially oxidize fat to make ketones, perhaps it first uses fat in the closest proximity -- in and around the liver.

That's an interesting theory. It makes sense to me.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options

I find it to be the opposite with me, but i may be an exception. I tend to find my belly & waist fat goes fastest, but my thigh fat is unbelievably sticky.

• mlinton_mesapark
    mlinton_mesapark Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I lost from my back first, then waist, but the belly (below waist) area has been slower moving. I am a pear shape, and normally struggle to get my hip measurement down. It's down 4 inches since I started this WOE. My belly measurement is down 1 inch. For me, that makes me more proportionate. My shoulders are the only area that really looks more muscularly developed so far.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Looks like a very comprehensive review of visceral fat here:
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/1/1/12

Random tidbits:

In general, VAT accounts for up to 20 percent of total fat in men and 5–8 percent in women.

Regular exercise can selectively reduce VAT with minimal change in weight

A solution to reducing the ectopic fat, as well as VAT, burden would be to enhance its oxidation in nonadipose tissues, e.g., liver, pancreas, and skeletal muscle. This will push the system toward below the CVATT and improve insulin sensitivity. In their review, Westman et al cite many studies that have consistently shown that low-carbohydrate/high-fat diets consumed for more than seven days induce powerful metabolic adaptations to enhance fat oxidation

Recently, Silvestre et al showed that compared to an energy-restricted low-fat diet, a short-term, very low-carbohydrate diet was associated with greater weight and fat loss with an apparent preferential loss of central fat

Too much good stuff to list -- worth a read if you're a science geek. :)