2»

Replies

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Wab

Thanks buddy

You bring the goods brother!

This is the basis of the whole bicycle experiment. Eat low carb, fast, then do a long cardio level workout forcing my body to source fat for fuel.

I think you have found the silver bullet. If I lose this last 10 pounds on the strategy I owe you a pack of thick cut bacon!

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Mmmm, bacon. :)

Read the paper before you get too excited. They basically say that visceral fat is reduced in the early stages (when you lose the first 10% of body weight), but after that (i.e., after you become insulin sensitive), the fat loss is more evenly distributed.

FWIW, I'm trying essentially the same approach as you are. I'm down to about 20% BF, and most of it seems to be hanging out around the belly, but it is SLOWLY being reduced with exercise and low-carbing. The best part is that I'm not really trying to lose weight anymore -- it's still adjusting to my reduced appetite.
  • jumanajane
    jumanajane Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    The other great problem for us 'women over a certain age' is the reduction in estrogen causes a redistribution of body fat from thighs and hips to belly. The addition of excess cortisol from the hormone imbalance also hits us. There are a lot of us 'golden oldies' struggling with getting rid of belly fat Im afraid. The most comprehensive read I found explaining it is http://cortisolconnection.com/ch4_1.php
    If you find any magic formula or plan...please share! Lol. There will be quite a few ladies who will be eternally grateful...including me! :)
  • msmi1970
    msmi1970 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    the only place where i want lots of fat is in my mouth.. :)
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    msmi1970 wrote: »
    the only place where i want lots of fat is in my mouth.. :)

Ha Ha

That is so wrong but makes me think bacon!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    jumanajane wrote: »
    The other great problem for us 'women over a certain age' is the reduction in estrogen causes a redistribution of body fat from thighs and hips to belly. The addition of excess cortisol from the hormone imbalance also hits us. There are a lot of us 'golden oldies' struggling with getting rid of belly fat Im afraid. The most comprehensive read I found explaining it is http://cortisolconnection.com/ch4_1.php
    If you find any magic formula or plan...please share! Lol. There will be quite a few ladies who will be eternally grateful...including me! :)

Yes, I've always been one to store it on the belly but it is a lot worse now.
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting, IMO. I have detailed my methods and protocols on this board ad nauseam already. So not gonna repeat it. I've lost a lot more from belly than all other spots, according to measurements. I don't recall exactly, think it was somewhere around 108 cm at start, it's now 73 cm. However, this is my N=1. YMMV. If you have questions, you can pm me.

I think there are very few if any studies comparing different diet protocols to tummy fat lost. Most focus on mean lbs lost. Most don't even separate water weight from LBM.

You do pose an interesting question, that researchers perhaps should pay more attention to, since the link between visceral fat and detrimental health has been shown to be high.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    @Foamroller - Do you do the Bulletproof fast or a water fast? For how many hours? And do you IF every day?

Ive started IFing with 1 BPC. I wasnt keen on Bulletproof fasting at 1st as i did struggle with hunger initially, but now im getting accustomed to much lower calories in the morning (im naturally hungriest at breakfast time) im actually starting to quite like it. I had a 600 calorie solid breakfast of bacon, fried eggs & a flax bun this morning and, delicious as it was, i was actually no more satiated or energetic than when i just have my 230 cal BPC. In fact, i think i feel MORE energetic when i IF (with BPC).

Im fearful of a water fast though - thats hardcore! Do you think water fasts have more benefits (particularly improved weight-loss results) than bulletproof fasts?

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Coconutmummy. I do eating window every day. Start eat between 2-5 pm. Sometimes later, sometimes sooner. Don't sweat the hours. Until then NO EATING. Only drink water coffee, vitamins, fiber.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but BPC breaks fasting. Calorically. Meaning your body gets busy metabolizing the hwc, co, butter. Meaning you suspend any burning from STORED fat to newly ingested caloric intake.

David Asprey is a good salesman...

I suggest use BPC or other drinkable calories only if you're low in fats OR as a tool to transition into IF or just because you enjoy it/helps adhere. It doesn't matter if it's only 200 or 600 bpc calories. That's still like...a non-chewable breakfast. And, no, if there is any «fatburning effects» at all, that would be the co and probably not in any meaningful amounts to counter the caloric value.

If you want, coconutty you can add me and creep my diary. I lost weight from Sep 2014 to sometime in Nov.
  • CoconuttyMummy
    CoconuttyMummy Posts: 685 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks @Foamroller . Ive sent you a friend's request.

That's disappointing to hear. Dave Asprey states that BPC keeps you in a fasted state and maximizes fat burning. Very disappointing indeed.

However, i would say that even if this is the case, BPC has benefited me in a couple of ways: a) it has allowed me to lower my calories at breakfast from 350-500, to 238; b) it aides me going through lunch without eating any calories at all; c) like you mentioned, it is helping me transition towards a 'proper' fast.
    Ive always been a breakfast eater - i historically wake up super hungry in the mornings - and so i really struggled even getting used to BPC. Initially i had to add a raw egg or two to try to quell hunger, but even that didnt get me past lunch. Now i can go all day until dinner many times on just the 1 238 calorie BPC (no HWC, just 1 tbsp MCT OIl & 1 tbsp kerrygold butter), so its a big improvement, but i dont know if i'll ever be 'strong' enough to water fast all day, regularly.

Doesnt water fasting slow down your metabolism? Im borderline hypothyroid and prone to a really sluggish metabolism, so would water fasting put my body in starvation mode and make it hold on to fat for dear life? Thats always at the back of my mind. I figure the few fat calories in a BPC would help prevent this and keep my metabolism kicking over?

The other things that have been bothering me about fasting, are these:

When you have a small eating window on IF, let's say a 2-3 hr window, is it not likely to cause weight-gain eating all your days' calories in such a short time? How does you body utilise all that energy all at once? Doesnt it encourage some of that energy to be stored as fat?

And, on similar lines, if you consume your whole days' protein in a 2-3 hr window (mine is 90g protein for example), how can your body utilise all this protein for growth and repair all at once? I read that the body can only absorb a certain amount of protein at one sitting, and if you go over that it is turned into glucose. Obviously that would be disastrous for ketoers. Is this something viable that i should be concerned about? Im consuming 90g over the course of maybe 1.5hrs as i have to start training 1.5hrs after dinner so i have to get all my food down me fast so it can settle before i train, then its shower and bed. Am i really feeding my muscles successfully with all this protein in such a short time?