Weekend Bling Report

Options

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    @TavistockToad Yep, I'm pretty happy. It's not a PB, but I knew that probably wasn't going to happen. I didn't have enough long runs under my belt thanks to taking time off due to injury. I stuck with the 2:15 pacer and finished in 2:15:11. The course was more like 13.3 which I put down to bad tangent running on my part, but plenty of other people said the same.

Came 24th out of 84 in my age-group, which I'm very pleased with.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    6wwd2argjrro.jpg

Lilac 10K this morning. I haven't been feeling the competitive fire lately, and knew going in that my club was the only one that declared a M 60+ team; so all we needed to do to with the team title was have at least 3 team members finish. Not a terribly high bar.

Set out to run as well as I could from habit, in spite of low motivation. Late in the race, my team captain caught and passed me; his finish line determination dragged me in a bit faster than I would have made it on my own. Ended up finishing in 42:21 gun time (6:49 per mile pace), for 64th of 744 overall, 3rd of 22 in the M 60-64 age group. The string bag and larger bronze medal are for 3rd in the age group, the smaller gold medal is for being on the first M 60+ team for the USATF Niagara Region 10K Championship. The team win does feel a bit hollow; if Syracuse Track Club had shown up, we would have had some real competition. And maybe I would have found it in me to run a bit harder.
  • alc649
    alc649 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I'll have to take a picture of my medal from my 10k Saturday! Man it was tough, and it took me forevvvvver! Like an hour and 47 mins. lol but man i don't care cuz i did it. I walked 3 times up some big hills, but that's it..ran the rest ..it was awesome. i'm feeling a 5k for my next race though :)
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Sunset House 5K, a fast, flat course with only 315 finishers. You'd think that 20:12 would win the M 60-64 age group, but someone better than me showed up and ran 19:02. (My PR 5K is 19:07, 19:02 is just another unexceptional race for him.) As they say, age group awards are highly dependent on who shows up.

446zixl91trf.jpg

If it had been a medal, I likely wouldn't have hung around for the awards ceremony. But this is a ceramic tile, and it will be a decent coaster.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Unplanned mile race today. I entered at the last minute since the price was right (free for veterans). The course was an out and back and out and back (started in the middle, went out .25 miles, turned around, went .5 miles and turned around again). Not the best course for speed. I managed to get it done in 6:25. Not trained but it is evident I have some work to do to beat 6 minutes in July.

bj8l5kr3pln2.jpg

m85bmm24x5lb.jpg

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ran the Solidarity Half Marathon in Świdnik/Lublin, Poland. I really enjoyed it, half marathon is definitely my favorite distance. I'll write up a full recap over in the monthly running challenge thread, but here's the bling:
    I like the logo - it looks like a runner one way you look at it, and like a goat (symbol of Lublin) if you ignore the red dot. And the other side has a helicopter, which is what Świdnik is famous for :)
    gcvyb2ezrjug.jpg
    I'll get my husband to engrave the medal at some point...z3c9xe6zn4ed.jpg I got a PR, even though the announcer said the course was too difficult for anyone to do that!
  • MobyCarp
    edited June 2018
    Options
    y5brkaw4jyfz.jpg

I ran the USATF Masters Half Marathon Championship yesterday, at the Dexter Ann Arbor Road Race. The Masters field started 2 minutes before the open field, so I was being passed by open runners for the first 11 miles or so; after that point, I pretty much held my ground and even passed a few open runners.

A downpour started when I was out for my warmup, so I got good and wet. Then it backed off to light showers by gun time, and the rain stopped entirely by the time I'd run 8 miles. It was pretty good running weather, but by the time I'd run 5 miles I realized this wasn't my day. I wasn't really trained and in condition to truly race a half marathon, and the USATF Masters is a very competitive field. Ended up about 2 minutes slower than I had hoped for an off day, running 1:34:42. That was 48th of 102 overall in the Masters field, and I didn't see where I placed in my age group. My team captain ran 1:28 and change, and said he was 7th in our age group. The top 3 men 60-64 ran 1:19, 1:20, and 1:20 (plus some odd seconds in each case).

Still, it was a pretty course. I wouldn't mind it if the USATF Masters Half is at the same venue in some future year.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Ran the Medved 5K to Cure ALS on Father's Day. The bling won't look good on a trophy rack, but it beats a kick in the pants:
    hnhrw9zn3h9g.jpg

Finished in 18:04, but there was a course error and it was only 2.9 miles. If I assume the extra 0.2 at my average pace, that would be a 19:19 5K; if I assume a 7 minute mile pace, it would be 19:24. I ran pretty well, finishing 30th of 398 overall and 1st of (? more than 4) in the M 60-64 age group.
  • dewd2
    Options
    Ran Ragnar PA relay this weekend as part of a 6 person mixed ultra team. I ran 6 legs over the 29 hours it took us to complete the course for about 32 miles total. The results haven't been posted yet (it takes a while due to the nature of the race) but I'm pretty sure we finished 2nd in our division. Our sister team beat us by 3 minutes :(

v0ky3fblzh8v.jpg
  • dewd2
    Options
    Ooops! I was wrong. Our sister team DID NOT beat us :) According to the preliminary results we beat 'em by 3+ minutes. We finished 3rd in our category and 11th overall!!!
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Charlie's Old Goat Trail Race was this morning at 9 AM. It was warm and humid. Billed as 5 miles, Garmin said 4.89 even though I went off course with the leaders and ran perhaps 0.2 to 0.3 miles further than designed. Managed to finish 17th of 167 overall, 14th of 104 males, 1st of 13 in the M 60-64 age group at 43:15.

There were no specific age group awards, but I got a jar of organic peanut butter as a door prize and everyone got a mini bottle of sparkling wine for finishing. There are two bottles because I was handed another one when I went back to look for the posted results; and that lets me show both labels.

zdhe2temhbaz.jpg
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    8f8jf5squymr.jpg
    That's the back of the shirt, front of the medal.
    I did the 22k option, and absolutely loved it! Trail races and half marathon distance get two thumbs up from me!
    And here's the back of the medal and front of the shirt:
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Lei 5K Friday evening. It's a local 5K with only 189 people running the chipped time race. It was hot as anything. Pace was closer to 10K pace, but the heat must have been a factor for everyone because I finished in 23:29 , which was good for 19th of 189 and 2nd female over all. That was my first overall placement, so I was excited. Also got my AG win, which was a great prize of a t-shirt from the local running store, a pair of Saucony socks and a pair of Goodr glasses. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of my bling before I wore it :(
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Shoreline Half Marathon this morning. Temp in the 70s, then the sun came out about mile 4. Misjudged the heat and my conditioning and ended up walking quite a bit from mile 9 to mile 12. Finished my 16th and slowest half marathon in 1:45:54, 34th of 479 overall and 2nd of 5 in the M 60-64 age group.
    9yh88p197cw8.jpg

Bling picture behind spoiler so folks don't have to wait for it to load every time they look at this page.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp That is still way faster than my HM PR. I just don't know how you do it, but Way to Go!
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    vhbznzxm94ri.jpg
    I'm trying out posting as a "spoiler" this time, we'll see if it works.
    Fun medal from a 5k I did tonight. The kids participated in the kids races and got the same medals :)
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    27prdryksmrp.jpg
    h2hzr2zp2yh0.jpg
    c6es2k0vycow.jpg

First "mountain running" race of my career, the Battle at Bristol 10K. Finisher's medal is about the same quality as a typical half marathon finisher's medal, and with 2400+ feet of elevation gain it felt harder than a typical road half marathon. The gravel path is near the start of the race course; it's runnable, but goes up forever. The dots by the ski lift on the other picture are runners coming down the final descent toward the finish line.

1:28:33 gun time for 6.57 miles per Garmin (6.52 miles on the organizer's course map) was good for 11th of 71 overall, 1st of 2 in the M 60-99 age group. The open question is, why were two guys over 60 years old dumb enough to run this one?
  • dewd2
    edited August 2018
    Options
    HARRC After Dark 7K. My time was 25 seconds slower than last year. I started off great and faded at the end. I blame the heat - 88 degrees with a dew point at 69.

x0mz83ezldyh.jpg

Positive splits for positive people :D