Weekend Bling Report

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Chmielakowy Half Marathon today in Krasnystaw, Poland. It's part of a hops festival, so there was beer involved (well not for me; I was driving home), drinkable yogurt produced in the town, energy bars that didn't make it to the picture, and a cool medal. The white shirt will likely be see-through and need a second shirt under it, but it's cute. They were very well organized and ready for the heat, which wasn't too bad until you got to running in it. Lots of water to drink and run through on the course.
    7ts7abv5f67h.jpgu9rfkkdtya2q.jpg
    And I can join @dewd2 with my own positive split, haha.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    Oak Tree Half Marathon this morning. Warm, humid, and a monster hill at mile 11. I correctly recognized that today was not a day to try to kill the course or catch people, it was a day to manage energy and try to survive the course. Ended up taking 2 walk breaks on that monster hill, but they did not break me mentally. Official time of 1:36:41 was good for 16th of 248 overall and 1st of 6 in the M 60-64 age group.

Medal and plastic glass for finishing, pint glass for packet pickup. 1st in age group got a hard sided water bottle; I traded it for the lesser award of Once Again Peanut Butter. (Also got a jar of peanut butter at packet pickup, but didn't take a picture of that one before I opened it.)
    zeq1yv10nxam.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Oak Tree Half Marathon this morning. Warm, humid, and a monster hill at mile 11. I correctly recognized that today was not a day to try to kill the course or catch people, it was a day to manage energy and try to survive the course. Ended up taking 2 walk breaks on that monster hill, but they did not break me mentally. Official time of 1:36:41 was good for 16th of 248 overall and 1st of 6 in the M 60-64 age group.

Medal and plastic glass for finishing, pint glass for packet pickup. 1st in age group got a hard sided water bottle; I traded it for the lesser award of Once Again Peanut Butter. (Also got a jar of peanut butter at packet pickup, but didn't take a picture of that one before I opened it.)
    zeq1yv10nxam.jpg

i would do so many more races if i got peanut butter instead of a t shirt at the end!!!

:laugh:
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

zeq1yv10nxam.jpg

i would do so many more races if i got peanut butter instead of a t shirt at the end!!!

I am insanely jealous of a friend who entered a race where a pork pie was given to all the entrants.
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options

zeq1yv10nxam.jpg

I am insanely jealous of a friend who entered a race where a pork pie was given to all the entrants.

When I was based in Wiltshire in the UK we used to do a 10K where all finishers got a Sausage in a bun and a pint of Scrumpy (a cloudy English Hard Cider) B):D

It was always an amazing atmosphere with almost everyone lining the finishing straight cheering in later finishers.
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    Pete Glavin Upstate NY Cross Country Race #1 (of 5) today. Short course (2.90 per Garmin, 5K nominal distance), challenging terrain. 20:50.9 was 65th of 144 overall, 4th of 31 in the M 60-69 age group. My Supervet (60-69) team was 2nd of 8(?). So no bling for performance, but there was a hat for signing up for the series:
    a82bru8dhyf8.jpg
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Common sense prevailed!!! I (mostly) resisted the urge to race today and finished the Harrisburg Half in 1:48:48. I did decide to track a group of runners down with about a mile to go and turned it up 2 notches at the end when someone passed me in the last few hundred meters (poor guy had nothing left - I increased my pace by a minute a mile and he fell off quickly).

It was chilly and raining steady the whole race. In fact it has been raining for 24 hours and it created a bit of a mess along the river. Since I was already soaked I decided to splash in every puddle I encountered like a 10 year old boy. :D
    vwadnhicp50i.jpg
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    @midwesterner85 Congratulations! Results are highly dependent on who shows up, and you showed up. On the little girls . . . I recall a race where two girls who looked middle school age were in front of me at 400m, and I thought I'd catch them at about a mile. Nope. They kicked my *kitten*, and it turned out one of them wasn't even out of grade school!
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    USATF Masters 5K Cross Country Championships were held today at Delaware Park in Buffalo, NY. I ran 20:03, to finish 7th of 74 in the men's 60+ race. So I didn't make the individual age group podium, which was expected. There are consolations. Everyone got a commemorative mug:
    xcbyzgu9rl1b.jpg

Cross country is a team event. Masters score the top 3 members of a potentially 5-member team. Runners who don't have a complete team don't count for team scoring, and one of the runners ahead of me wasn't part of a complete team. So . . . my team, Genesee Valley Harriers, finished 4-5-6 for 15 points, a tie with the 1-2-12 finish of Hartford Track Club. We got the title on tie break. Guys told me the tie break was who had the faster 3rd runner, which was me. Seems like a dumb tie break, but we also would have won on a 4th runner tie break (we had one, they didn't) or on a total time score like road races. (Collectively, we were 28 seconds faster than they were. I was considerably faster than their 3rd runner.)

So I got a medal for being on the championship team:
    5sav191bztyw.jpgw7e1pxjqe0dc.jpg

Our team does not have a building or other fixed location that is specific to the team. The team captain and my team mates attributed the team win to my performance. So after the team photo shoot they handed me the team plaque, which I will hang on my living room wall:

z86a9al47nop.jpg

This plaque and the esteem of my team mates means more to me than any of the age group awards I've won individually.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Third place age-group bling from yesterday's 5k.

I ran the same race last year and won my age-group. This year I ran it a minute faster and came third. It all depends on who shows up on the day.

le9mf7fiqxhr.jpg
  • MobyCarp
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Packet pick-up for Wineglass: Nice quarter-zip, a split of champagne, and of course a wine glass:
    iedlu4q6uqag.jpg

Finisher's medal is made of glass. It's quite pretty, but not very photogenic:
    5hybiotph1qx.jpg

Great running weather, showers at the start, overcast from mile 2 to 20, light rain from mile 20 to the end, temperature rising from 46º F at gun to 54º when I got done. I was really pumped to run a PR 3:18:02 with my first negative splits; that was 2nd in the M 60-64 age group. First was a guy with a little less experience than me; he thanked me for helping him pace the race and finish below 3:20. He was 6 seconds ahead of me by gun time, rather more by net time because I lined up better.

Top 3 in each age group are supposed to get an engraved wine glass with stem. Web site says age group awards will be mailed, which suits me well. I didn't want to hang around in wet clothes with temp in the mid-50s waiting for an awards ceremony.
  • dewd2
    Options
    WineGlass 2018:

I finally ran the race I wanted. Although I hit the wall hard around mile 19-20, I think I finally figured out the nutrition part and now I need to work on strength and my stride. I also need to work on my water technique - I lost too much time breaking my stride as I tried to get drinks.

I managed a 7+ minute marathon PR!

Of course it was raining at the start. I can't remember the last race I ran with dry shoes. :# The course was awesome. Only a few up hill portions and the rest was a gradual downhill (I know this to be true because my quads are still SCREAMING :D ).

I will be back to do this one again. Not sure if it will be next year, but I will be back. And this time I'll stay longer. We had a great house by Lake Lamoka and I want to spend more time there. Plus, there's a thousand things I didn't get get to do.
    1l2ffdgqtjjz.jpg

• MobyCarp
    Options
    Ran the Finish Strong 15K today. Fast, flat course and much less rain than was forecast. I had hoped to break under 63 minutes for my pride, actually ran 1:03:27. But I met my primary goal of winning the M 60-64 age group.

Glitch with the medal. The obverse was supposed to have a sticker/art showing what race I ran. That was missing from some medals, including mine. But the reverse was properly engraved with what I did to earn the medal, and that's more important to me.
    t8stsmmuytcd.jpg
    wy6qj5xx9gq6.jpg

Absent the glitch, this would just be a typical age group medal; I work to earn them, but they aren't as nice as half marathon finishers' medals. The glitch makes it kind of unique. I may receive a sticker later to correct the glitch. If so, I'll decide whether to put it on or just store the sticker with the medal for the story of why it's that way.
  • dewd2
    Options
    I registered for a local 5K that was held this morning at 9 AM. I woke up around 6:30, noticed it was pouring down rain and my throat was a bit sore. I said "F It" and went back to sleep. DNS

Sorry, I didn't get pictures of my slumber but you can use your imagination. :D
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I did the coco beach half marathon this weekend! It was about an hour away so we had to get up at 4:30 am to take care of the dog and make it on time. 30 minutes into the drive I look at the directions on the GPS and realize somethings off, looked at the race sheet and realize they put the wrong address on it. We finally figured it out by going on the race website and somehow managed to make it to the air force base on time where the race began! They wouldn’t let my ride linger so I panicked and grabbed all my stuff and hopped out. Turned out I forgot the new strap for my garmin (it’s ancient and broke a while ago, I’ve been using a twistie tie for about 5 months). Doh, time to improvise, I used a race pin and my hair band to finagle the thing on my wrist. By that time I had about 10 minutes left and the porta potty line was huge! Finally got through and to the start of the race. I followed the 2:20 pacer around, my first half but I figured that would be around my training times. The race started and I felt really good, except the first mile my right ear bud fell out and it’s a pain in the *kitten* to get back in. I kept running and shoving the thing in my ear lol. We hit the 2nd water break, Gatorade at the first table and water at the second and I went for the water. I looked back and I lost the pacer, oops. I figured I’d run slow and she’d catch up to me, but that was the last time i saw her. Every water station they switched up the Gatorade and water tables, it kept confusing me and I kept grabbing Gatorade by accident. I probably would have heard them if I wasn’t blasting my music so loud, oh well. Some lady cheering on the side had a sign that said “smile if you peed a little”, I wanted to laugh because it was funny but also didn’t want her to think I peed LOL. The start of the race was around 80F, and I think it was close to 85-90F when we finished. The last 3 miles were on the beach and it was torture, I was planning on sprinting it home... yeah right. The sand was super soft my feet kept sinking in , and there were giant piles of sargassum to jump over. Two little kids with a sand shovel and bucket walked in front of me. It was so obnoxious trying to dodge the waves so my socks didn’t get wet lol. There was only one water station on the beach, and I got my cup, the girl in front of me just stopped running so then I swerved to the side and tripped over a sand castle, the water in my mouth spewed everywhere so comically lol. I was so pissed because I was super thirsty... as I was running off from the station some lady with a trash can was yelling and I think she said don’t litter on the beach? So I ran backwards to throw away my cup, and I think she said forget it and go!!!! Lol, if only my music wasn’t so loud oops!!! My goal was to run the entire race without walking, being my first half I didn’t have a real goal time in mind...I forgot to turn my garmin off so I had no idea how long it took me, this morning I got the official race time and i finished in 2:16 ! After I got to jump in the cool ocean water and it felt amazing. The medal is super cool, the race was I dream of Jeannie themed so it’s a genie bottle, it has a nice weight to it 😊. I couldn’t be more happy! mwijifd7bhk7.jpeg
    vao3o67qmraa.jpeg
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    The Chase Marathon on Saturday. Final event of the season and Marathon #16.

It was an out and back route, and very narrow throughout. Quite a good temperature, 16-18 degrees for most of the day and whilst there was some rain initially it dried up. Lovely route, although some tough running surface.

Long old race, it ran a bit long, finishing at 29.7 miles.

pthq6dsg5ent.jpg
    2q2tw1aad4be.jpg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The Chase Marathon on Saturday. Final event of the season and Marathon #16.

It was an out and back route, and very narrow throughout. Quite a good temperature, 16-18 degrees for most of the day and whilst there was some rain initially it dried up. Lovely route, although some tough running surface.

Long old race, it ran a bit long, finishing at 29.7 miles.

pthq6dsg5ent.jpg
    2q2tw1aad4be.jpg

Loving your medal!