TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I hope you are all that cake @dewd2

Happy birthday :drinker:
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I assume you mean the big round thing in the second photo? How big is it?

Or the bottle opener?
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I assume you mean the big round thing in the second photo? How big is it?

Or the bottle opener?

Yea the big round thing in the second photo, it’s about the size of my palm, very light weight, not styrofoam it kinda feels like a towel material but when I bent it it cracked and fell apart a little. It came wrapped with that advent health thing on top in plastic that seemed like it was meant to be opened. It doesn’t have a smell lol. Theories are bath bomb, paper weight, or perhaps a towel that if it gets wet expands. Holding off on getting it wet though in case if that messes it up.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Found out it was a compressed wash cloth towel lol.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    15k race bling...2r455taen9ru.jpeg
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Smashed my 5k...

Really good goodie bag... t shirt, medal, water (obvs), banana, flapjack, peanut butter, banana bar...

kosybcuxg0rw.jpg
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Myrtle Beach SC Marathon - I finished in 4:01:31, which was good enough for first in my AG (60-64) and another BQ. Award was another medal. I liked the long sleeved shirts, which are a speckled turquoise and white.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I had a great weekend of racing! It's been a miserable winter for training, and, after running a 5K two weeks ago that was about a minute slower than my PR, I have been feeling very doubtful about my ability have a successful marathon in April. So a good weekend of racing was really much needed and I knew this going in.

On Saturday I raced a local, but large, Shamrock Shuffle 5k, which was my PR from last March. I didn't think I could beat my PR, but I was hoping to at least be in the ball park. I ended up running a 21:56 and beating my PR by 1 second! I finished 5th female out of 494 and 40/817 overall. Awards went to the top 25 male and female finishers and was a Green Queen City Running T-shirt and a cool pair of lime green Shamrock Shuffle knee socks. This is a really fun community race with a great post race party. Unfortunately, I could not stay to enjoy the festivities because I had family in from out of town and a second race the next morning.

My Sunday race was the Cincinnati Heart Mini half marathon. This is a really big event in Cincy with over 20,000 runners racing between the 5K, 15K and HM options. The 15K and HM start together and run a very hilly, challenging course. I participate in this event every year that I can and I have run both options at least 5 times each, so I am very familiar with the course. To add to this year's challenge, the day was very windy and the HM course crosses the Ohio River and back and the wind was pretty brutal on the bridges. This race was really going to be a tell tale for how my training was going. I ended up finishing in 1:41:54, which was first in the F 45-49 age group out of 76, 40/682 females and 222/1503 overall. This was not a PR, but was a PR for this course, so I was super excited about it. Award was a $10 gift card to a local running store and a long sleeve t-shirt, which proudly says "1/2 Champion" on the back. Epic fail Heart Mini. Another good reason to stick to the 15k distance next year!
  • jppage67
    jppage67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the age group win @lporter229! I ran the Heart Mini half yesterday too. I didn't run it quite as fast as you, but I was very happy with my 1:54:40 finish (I was hoping for around 2 hours). It was my first time running that race and it was a lot hillier than I expected it to be, especially that little out and back (up and down?) around mile 6.
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    avkhen3j9l0a.jpeg

My first half is officially in the books!
  • lporter229
    Options
    jppage67 wrote: »
    Congrats on the age group win @lporter229! I ran the Heart Mini half yesterday too. I didn't run it quite as fast as you, but I was very happy with my 1:54:40 finish (I was hoping for around 2 hours). It was my first time running that race and it was a lot hillier than I expected it to be, especially that little out and back (up and down?) around mile 6.

Congrats on smashing your goal! Yes, Torrence hill is a killer. One year they took it out because of construction and all of the runners ran by it and yelled at it. It was funny. Even though Torrence is still part of the 15K course, I much prefer the 15K course over the half marathon. All of those little twists and turns to add on the mileage at the end can be soul crushing!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    USATF Masters 8K at the Towne Bank Shamrock 8K this morning. I turned in a middle of the pack performance in the context of a USATF championship race: 32:06 gun time, 64th of 153 overall, 10th of 21 in the M 60-64 age group. Because it was in conjunction with the open Shamrock 8K, I got a finisher's medal. Because I age graded above 80%, I got a USATF age grade medal.
    04aktybvbiu5.jpg
  • MobyCarp
    Options
    . . . and the obligatory 4-medal bling shot: 8K finisher's medal, USATF age grade medal, half marathon finisher's medal, Dolphin Challenge medal. Also a blanket (still in the bag so it packs well to get home), a running hat, and a second string bag for running the half.
    d0c4vszr29jl.jpg

Stopped halfway home for the night. Results say I'm 2nd of 110 in the M 60-64 age group. I predicted no podium finish, on the basis that I was planning to run at marathon pace, not race it like a half. Ended up hanging near Meb, who was pacing 1:35, for over 12 miles; then I ran most of the last mile at T pace to finish with an official time of 1:34:22.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    ...Ended up hanging near Meb, who was pacing 1:35, for over 12 miles...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a *kitten* for the race medals, but I think that experience would be worth more to me than any of the rest of it.

• MobyCarp
    Options
    @99clmsntgr Yes, that experience was worth a lot. My target marathon pace is 7:20 per mile. The original idea was to practice marathon pace. Meb pacing 1:35 talked me into upping that to 7:15 per mile.

The interesting thing is that there was a substantial crowd going out with Meb the first few miles; I didn't feel the north wind, because the pace group blocked it. By the time I left Meb behind to finish fast, he was down to a group of 2 or 3 people running with him. I wasn't paying attention, so I don't know how many couldn't keep up and how many decided to run ahead at some point.
  • lporter229
    Options
    99clmsntgr wrote: »
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    ...Ended up hanging near Meb, who was pacing 1:35, for over 12 miles...

Don't get me wrong, I'm a *kitten* for the race medals, but I think that experience would be worth more to me than any of the rest of it.

Yeah, I probably couldn't hang at that pace for a whole half, but I could, and WOULD, definitely do it for a few miles!