Weekend Bling Report

Options

Replies

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ WTG! Yes, one of my low-grade gripes about the Rochester Half Marathon last year was that the shirt and medal said Marthon - Half Marathon - Relay with "Marathon" in the largest print. (Buffalo had different shirts and medals for the half marathon than for the full.) I'll fix the problem with Rochester this year by running the full marathon; but I still have that 2015 shirt that says "marathon" even though I ran the half. Oh, well. At least I'm not alone in feeling like this isn't the way bling ought to be.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Yes, you'd think getting two different medals / shirts produced couldn't be that much of an effort for big events! They did manage to print race bibs in different colors, then they should have also been able to distinguish the medals.
    Since I've never run a marathon, I'd feel a bit like a fraud if I run around in a marathon shirt.... At least mine doesn't say the year on it, so I guess running the full next year would fix it for me. Something to keep in mind! ;)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    Cake pops and roses were received by all participants for the Mother's Day 5k I was in yesterday. My cake pop and rose went to my darling wife (so she could have 2 of each), who walked the 5k while me mom and I ran it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    I did the Door County Half this weekend. i wasn't last and all finishers got a medal. and of course i can't find a picture of it.
    i got a long sleeve for this year and last years 5k and HM shirts were on sale for 5ea.
    the HM and the 5k had their own shirts.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Met a personal goal I had set this weekend running the We Love Moms 10-miler. Super-flat course on one of the greenways along a feeder creek for the Chattahootchie. Finished third out of 30 runners, had set a goal of 70 minutes and crushed it at 1:07:45.

Only drawback to the race was that the second place finisher was about 4 minutes ahead of me and the fourth place runner was 6 minutes behind, so no one to push me other than the Garmin. Fourth place finisher had a good recommendation to use cadence on one of my screens for self-pushing, rather than average pace. I think I like that idea...
  • jppage67
    jppage67 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just found this group and this thread, so this is a little late, but I just ran my first half marathon on 4/2 and my first marathon on 4/30. I finished the Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon (Lexington, KY) in 1:51:56 and the Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon (Louisville) in 3:58:25. The small medal to the right is for finishing both races. I also just signed up for the Air Force Marathon in Dayton in September, so I'll be starting to train for that soon.ptu2h8m4tjp1.jpg
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Sunday May 15 Run the Hook, Sandy Hook, New Jersey 5K. First "race" (group run) in close to 25 years. 29:04 121/536 overall, age and gender group (60-64M) 3/9. All in all, a good day. On to Ridgewood NJ Memorial Day 5K.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    So yesterday the Light Ox 10K, the Dark Ox 10K along the same route but at night, and this morning the Ox Half Marathon.

Pretty good all in, although this morning was affected by inadequate recovery refueling and hydration after yesterday. Over the weekend about 1100m of vertical elevation.

vst7czeo2489.jpg

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Finished 10th overall on Thursday, 3rd in my age group. 5K time was 24:12. Today I ran the Roger Snyder Memorial 10k. I finished in 52:12:11 - Not close to a PR but I'll take it. It was good enough for 1st in my age group and 9th overall.

9ec9j1bmacyo.jpg
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    o1swr76aj6j9.jpeg
    Booneville Backroads Ultra. Wanted to quit at mile 62 but with some encouragement from friends I continued to the finish
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Wow, some serious runners in here! I can't imagine running 100 miles. Awesome.

Congrats on your finishes and medals everyone!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    A Personal Best. So it was my second "race", Ridgewood New Jersey 5K, still did a better time. 28:28 chip time, (down from 29:09). Mile pace 9:09; overall 527/1345; Gender placement 386/733; Division M 60-64 16/27. There are some real fast older guys out there. Winner of my division beat me by about 9 minutes
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I got a Personal Record on my half marathon! Finished in 2:06:29 (according to my watch) which got me 2nd place in my age division! It was a small race, like 120 people, but still an accomplishment! For comparison, my last half took me 2:55.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I ran the RACE13.1 Raleigh Midtown Spring Half Marathon on Saturday June 4th. The conditions were tough with the temperature at the beginning of the race at 71°F and a dewpoint of 69°F. By the time I finished, the temperature had risen to 81°F and the dewpoint went up to 74°F. Really quite tropically humid.

My goal was to run and set a new PR of less than 2-hours. Finished in 1:58:16. After mile 2, I ran ahead of the 2:00 pacesetters. I ran a reasonably consistent pace with the exception of the four-stage hill climb in the last mile. Once I got over the last hill with about a quarter mile to go, I basically did a sprint to the finish (7:22/mile according to my watch).

Normally, my time would earn me a top-three placement in my age group. This year the top male in the 60-64 was also 4th overall. . I was 4th out of 16 in my age group, 120 out of 478 in gender and and 179 out of 1078 overall. I was pretty pleased with the way it came out. I was dripping wet but feeling good.

27412688872_fef60eab76_c.jpgIMAG0001 by gsaun039, on Flickr
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I once again was honored to follow in the footsteps of 18,000 men from the Greatest Generation. The Camp Toccoa D-Day Memorial 10k starts at the historic Camp Toccoa grounds and runs up Mount Currahee. 2 miles of rollers then mile 3 is straight up for a 600-650 foot climb. This is the third year in a row that I've run it and I shaved another 2 minutes off my time.

Finish: 46:08
    Place: 5th overall, 3rd in age group (35-39)

Award for placing in my age group is a thirsty stone coaster rather than a medal. Which I think is nice. It's unique and actually useful.

fp8c5b1yrs45.png
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @STrooper and @99clmsntgr -great job on your races and PRs. Very impressive showings for both of you!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I finished my first half marathon on Saturday! I did the Asheville Half Marathon, which was a great but tough race, with a big hill at mile 10 and the finish line at the top of a hill as well. My goals were to finish the race and not be last, and I accomplished both of those. I finished in 3:05, and I'm pretty confident that I'll break 3 hours on a flatter course next time.

jmatbp7lejl9.jpg

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @Curtruns Here's a few Ultra's that ( I originally posted to PoppetsMaster / Warning Canadian Content ) you might be interested in; Sinister 7 Ultra ( gotta love the name ) 0-99 runners usually take part in the race. The number of participants is capped to 1400

" Welcome to the Sinister 7 Ultra — a race that may be greatest challenge of your life. The 100 mile (161km) course will take you through the most rugged, remote and beautiful terrain in Alberta’s stunning Rocky Mountains. With 5,687m of elevation gain across the course, this race will punish those who are not prepared.

The Sinister 7 is open to solo runners or teams of up to seven and racers have 30 hours to complete the gruelling event. The course is split into seven stages, each featuring a geographic and historic highlight of the area. The race’s name is inspired by the treacherous Seven Sisters Mountain that looms over much of the course."

Welcome to the Iron Legs 60km, 50 miler and relay, held near Bragg Creek in Kananaskis Country, Alberta.

The 60km race takes you up onto a ridge before looping around through a valley and coming back over the ridge and towards the finish. The course offers amazing views of the Canadian Rockies and fantastic single track that will challenge all those on the course.

The 50 mile trail run beside an up onto Moose Mountain, offers fantastic single track and stunning views of the Canadian Rockies. The course is mostly on single track trails with some fire roads and lots of elevation change.

Lost Souls Ultra 100 mile, 100 km or 50 km. All ready full.[/quote]

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job @apullum! Congrats on completing your first half. That's fantastic. How sneaky to have a hill at the finish! Way to meet your goals!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Finished 3rd overall and won a $100 gift certificate for Inside Track (local running store). I can see a new pair of shoes in my future. :)

yjwspbycg8st.jpg