Heart Fluttering and Palpitations on Keto

Sharbysyd
Sharbysyd Posts: 39 Member

The following link was posted by Dan on another thread in this group. The thread was called "Completely new to LCHF Keto"

"Keto-flu" and Sufficient Intake of Electrolytes

I didn't want to hijack the other thread so I thought I'd start a new thread.

I tried keto over a year ago and started to have a fluttering feeling in the middle of my chest. I had previously had it on the very rare occasions, after having an SVT in 2002 which I believe was caused by a thyroid medicine. I had my heart checked back then and the cardiologist said I was fine. I had the flutter feeling possibly once or twice per year but when I tried keto, the flutter became so strong, it scared the heck out of me and I stopped keto/very low carb and was afraid to try again until recently.

The flutter improved when I started to drink 1/2 tsp salt in water daily but I still had it sometimes. I asked about the fluttering on a low carb forum and was told to go to the doctor and not really given any more info on it.

I recently added 1/2 tsp potassium chloride to my salt water and noticed that the fluttering completely stopped. But after doing research, I read that it might not be a good idea to supplement with potassium. I also take Natural Calm magnesium each night and have for years but I'm planning to make my own magnesium spray and use that instead since I feel the Natural Calm gives me agitation. Kind of ironic :smile:

Anyhow, I was so glad to find the article because it seems to say that it's okay to supplement with potassium and it explains what was happening to me. Through my research, I seem to recall reading that the fluttering could be caused in part by adrenal issues which often go hand in hand with hypothyroidism.

If anyone else has any experience with this or more info, I'd be very interested to learn more.

Replies