Hardest obstacle

Options

Replies

• marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Don't sigh Mac, I love cooking healthy stuff in batches. So easy to spend a few hours, then not have to think about what to eat later in the week. Pm me and I can help
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Mac, you can do batch cooking. After you make a plan, make the grocery list, and set aside an afternoon, you will feel good. It helps to have handy-dandy containers you love that will stack in the freezer.
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,129 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Mac, you can do batch cooking. After you make a plan, make the grocery list, and set aside an afternoon, you will feel good. It helps to have handy-dandy containers you love that will stack in the freezer.
    Containers for the freezer? Hmmmm... (sneaks over to Google to look for freezer food thingies)
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Containers for the freezer? Hmmmm... (sneaks over to Google to look for freezer food thingies)

Aw, just go to the grocery store and get either Glad plastic containers or Rubbermaid and you're done. I get the Betty Crocker brand ones at the dollar store. Easy peasy. Batch cooking will be fun. A big pot of chili, a big pot of spaghetti sauce, soup or stew, some chicken... you name it you can freeze it.

Another friend is the slow cook crock pot. Set it up before you leave the house and when you come home your dinner is all ready to go.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Who knew there were so many kinds of airtight containers for freezers? Info overload!! I only have the small freezer with my fridge. If I'm going to be making big batches, perhaps I'll need to invest in a small chest freezer.

I often make a big pot of chili. It rarely lasts more than two days. The boys both love the spice.

I bought a crockpot last year and I've had fun with it. Maybe I shoulda got a bigger one in order to make batch meals? I used it last night to make chocolate fudge with honey instead of sugar. :smile:
  • RodaRose
    Options
    You do not need to buy a new freezer unless you like shopping anyway. :)
    You can use Ziplock freezer bags as they are more space efficient. Think of making something in your crockpot that is big enough for four or five meals. Chili is a good idea.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    If I didn't have packages of pre-made food like chicken wings, I should have sufficient room for some ziplocks. The freezer isn't very spacious. If I want to add anything, I have to delete something else.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    When I was younger I was a good enough cook when I only had to do it once in a while. Current hubby cooks and he has made some adjustments to go lower calorie than he otherwise would. He usually cooks enough food for two days.
    Often, or when one of us is working crazy hours, I throw together something on my own: some canned lentil soup with Parmesan cheese on top, precut veggies, and small yogurt for example. 'Still do not have a comfortable system.
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Uncle Mac, you don't have to freeze everything. Soups, stews and chili can stay up to 5 days in the fridge without going off. If you're like me and don't much care if you eat something 2 or 3 days in a row, it can work that way too.
  • UncleMac
    edited October 2015
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Uncle Mac, you don't have to freeze everything. Soups, stews and chili can stay up to 5 days in the fridge without going off. If you're like me and don't much care if you eat something 2 or 3 days in a row, it can work that way too.
    I always thought I would get bored with eating the same thing repeatedly but I've found my breakfast combo works for me so I eat same daily.

Batch cooking is going to mean making larger quantities since the boyz make short work of any leftovers. I've made meals I thought would be large enough to last three days be gone in a day. They will eat supper for breakfast, lunch and supper. Kinda frustrating, actually... cereal (hot or cold) is less expensive than chili. I was thinking of freezing to slow down the mass consumption.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    Batch of chili is simmering... enough chili to fuel a small army... large enough batch that I used my canning pot instead of a large pot. Not sure if I will store in Ziplocks or Tupperware or both.
  • marekdds
    Options
    Bravo!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    My son took a look at the pot of chili and commented "I guess you wanted to make sure you got some this time?"
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    Chili is one of my favorites too for freezing. I make up one cup servings and freeze them in tupperware to take to work for lunch. I've got the recipe set up in my meals and it makes for a quick add for calorie tracking.
  • UncleMac
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I filled 7 (!!) tupperwares and froze 5 of them. Each tupperware has enough chili for a large portion for two people to small portion for three. Not sure whether I should buy more tupperware or make a smaller batch of beef stew.
  • KerryITD
    KerryITD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    What's my biggest obstacle? Hmmm there are so many...or at least, so many I use for excuses. :) My job keeps me away from my house for 11 hours a day (and tied to a computer for most of it). I *hate* not being home (I used to work from home before getting outsourced several times and I miss it like crazy); I get bored having to bring breakfast and lunch every day; and by the time I get home I feel like crawling on the couch and eating it. :(
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Chili? Mmm
  • RodaRose
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    I filled 7 (!!) tupperwares and froze 5 of them. Each tupperware has enough chili for a large portion for two people to small portion for three. Not sure whether I should buy more tupperware or make a smaller batch of beef stew.
    You accomplished the cooking task and figured out how to store your results. :) Have fun with the beef stew.

• marekdds
    Options
    Proud of you, Wayne!
  • UncleMac
    Options
    As noted before, batch cooking is going to be a struggle. Since I made the chili, the boyz have eaten chili for breakfast, lunch and supper. It isn't that other foods aren't available; they choose to ignore the fresh fruit, the breakfast cereals and yogurt. They don't even bother eating bread or noodles along with it... just chili...

When I make stew on the weekend, it will be the same thing. Only upside is stew has more veg than the chili.