2,000 calories [a day] is only enough to sustain children and postmenopausal women

Options
124»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    That calculation puts me at about 2900 for weight-stable TDEE. If the study that says women with PCOS+IR is to be believed (I doubt it, but I'll explain in a minute), then that would put my TDEE at about 2400, and would be in line with me losing weight at 2000+/-200 calories. (The study claims that women with PCOS+IR have a metabolic rate as much as 500 calories lower than women without it. I'm leery of it, because it's common for doctors to prescribe severely restricted calorie diets for women with PCOS, which I suspect can do quite a bit of harm to their metabolic rate and the study doesn't give enough information to draw any actual conclusions from it.)

I might do an n=1 to test that when I'm done losing weight. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth at the moment, though I am finding as I lose weight that I'm inclined to eat more, I think (will have to track to see if that's really the case, or if intake times are just shifting), and still losing at a rate of around a pound a week at the moment.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    What would it suggest if I'm losing weight faster than expected? And it's been consistent and hasn't slowed down though I'm within about 20lbs of my ideal weight?
    I keep waiting for and have been preparing myself for a major slow down, so that I wouldn't get bummed about it, but it hasn't happend.
    I have averaged 1.6 lbs per week. I started at 164.5 and am 144.4 now. My personal goal has been 130, but 2 different weight tracking apps I use show an ideal weight of 124.5 and 126.7...
    I have no metabolic issues.
    I have averaged just under 1300 calories a day. At my start weight the Ankler calculator estimated my BMR as 1405. TDEE as a sedentary person at 1686 and lightly active is 1932.
    At 1932 TDEE my 1300 calories is a 33% deficit. With a start date of 5/7/15 I should weigh 149.7 today.
    At 1686 TDEE my 1300 calories is a 23% deficit. With a start date of 5/7/15 I should weigh 155.3 today.

I have exceeded what either of them would predict, and I really don't think my 3000 average steps a day and lack of forming any real exercise habit would rate me as lightly active. Is my idea of what lightly active means just not accurate? But even the calculator describes it as "walking around a good amount, retail jobs. 1-3 hours a week of light exercise." I assumed it means exercise in addition to the walking around. Maybe Not? But my job is nowhere near the walking that occurs in a retail job that I am assuming they also mean is a full time job.

I can't figure out how to explain why I would be losing faster than expected.

My TDEE is higher than the calculators say too, I think.

Activity levels can be hard to gauge also. I always assumed I was sedentary or lightly active at best, but think I am actually somewhere between MFP's active and very active depending on how my day goes.

I was recently gifted a fitbit charge HR, and of course I know it's just a gadget and I'm not relying on it to dictate my life to me, but it seems to be more in line with what I have calculated my TDEE to be (busiest day was about 3000kcal, least active was about 2030kcal). If I eat as I should and don't fall off the low carb wagon, then what the fitbit says seems to be more accurate than the online calculators. I am 32, female, 4'11" and 80kg.