KETO misunderstood so bad!!!

Options
KETOGENICGURL
KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
I know that anything that CAN be misunderstood WILL be…..[Murphy's Law of Diets] and was chuckling over a story I heard…I think girls may grasp the concept of Keto better than guys since they end to diet more…but funny enough to share:

Workout guy: I'm doing the Keto thing where you eat all the burgers and steaks you want. In fact my [brother] and I have been getting 2 triple steakburgers, large fries and a large chocolate banana shake every night after the gym (Steak N' Shake for the unfamiliar).

Me: that seems a bit excessive. You know you're not supposed to have carbs on a diet like that, right?

Workout guy: No man, you don't get it. The extra protein from the burger and shake cancel out the carbs. It doesn't matter anyways cuz I've already put on 20 lbs of muscle!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've had a few people tell me their version of NK..when they didn't know I was following it.

And I got a nastygram lecture from a stranger on a Kidney Health site saying "eating all that high protein ..[ is gonna kill me]…… Most people do assume it is High Protein intake because their mind CAN'T even grasp the 70% fats consumption.

Would LOVE to see a blog where we could contribute the crazy stuff we hear about LCHF. Someone must be writing a book?

Replies

• JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BAHAHAHAHA!! That has got to be literally the worst way to eat. Funny tho.

Edit: very true about the fat. I still can't bring myself to set my fat to 70. I usually am over but I still have it set to 60, lol. Mental blocks.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    LOL

I hear you. I've taken a bit of slack about it too. Poeple who know me aren't bad because they can see my health improving, online is a different story. LOL
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    People are idiots. I still remember the pimply 17yo at the checkout in the supermarket frowning and me and telling me "All that animal protein and fat is not good for you" (my trolley was full of meat, cheese, cream cheese, pate etc - no processed food). I bet he had cereal for breakfast.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    People are idiots. I still remember the pimply 17yo at the checkout in the supermarket frowning and me and telling me "All that animal protein and fat is not good for you" (my trolley was full of meat, cheese, cream cheese, pate etc - no processed food). I bet he had cereal for breakfast.

Lol. I posted a steak with butter on it. My sister posted "that is going to kill you, Jess (sad face)"
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Indeed…EVERY article written in the slime media claim Keto/Adkin's/LC is "high protein" to start, then veer off into some worse advice or comparison.

Medical Studies done outside true LC method ALWAYS are comparing high protein or Fats PLUS carbs..when they compare to Low Fat or Low calorie..so it is a LOSE- LOSE all around for the public's understanding!!

People read this junk science say " I will just stick to my low calories, and get some new joggers, go to the gym"..

They mean well, but they never get started, then are shocked 5 years later when diagnosed Diabetic, and are told "eat more carbs--but spaced out"..sigh.

• bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Seriously, has no one been paying attention to the medical studies that have been published in the last 10 years?!
  • inspirationstation
    inspirationstation Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    bluefish86 wrote: »
    Seriously, has no one been paying attention to the medical studies that have been published in the last 10 years?!

Nope. Practice has not caught up with the research. Plus, they have all of they weight loss companies and consumer representatives telling them EXACTLY how they can lose weight the "healthy way" using diet (low fat, higher carb) and exercise. It is the evil they know.

I love this lifestyle. If my body didn't tell me how much it loved it, I would probably be skeptical too. But...it tells me. Every day.

• carimiller7391
    carimiller7391 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest here. I'm a newbie, so this is all foreign to me. I understand the basics and tried to explain it to my boyfriend. I sent him some info off the launch pad to help him understand better what he could do for himself and to help me. I enjoy reading the post as each one teaches me something new.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @carimiller7391 I have only been eating very low carb high fat for about 10 months and still have so much to learn. I did not even know about this eating lifestyle when I started doing it. I was just trying to manage my pain by diet. When I left off the sugar and grains (including all processed foods for sure) my pain levels dropped like a rock so my old brain and body felt like they had hope for the first time in many years. Month by month things just get better health wise. As a side effect I have been losing about 3 pounds per month without going hungry.

Thanks for sharing and yes there is a lot to understand but that will come with time. I actually started 12 months ago but for the first two months I could not taper off the carbs so 10 months ago I left them cold turkey and am so glad I did. I have had a lot of guys my age die over the last year mainly due to their diets so I knew it was now or never in my personal case.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Considering they haven't been paying attention to the medical studies that have been published on the matter in the last 75 years and the lesser research of the past 150 years or so.... no, they haven't.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

Considering they haven't been paying attention to the medical studies that have been published on the matter in the last 75 years and the lesser research of the past 150 years or so.... no, they haven't.

This.
    Conventional "wisdom" and diet superstitions still rule.
    Sad...
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I think the medical community is catching up bit by bit though. I couldn't get my husband to go back on LC no matter how I begged, pleaded, and showed him all the good things about it. It took his Dr. telling him if he wanted to live past his 40's he had to do something and that LC was his best bet. This after 5 years ago same Dr. criticizing the both of us on the Atkins diet we were doing then.

He won't read any of the books himself and I pretty much have to answer a dozen or so, "Can I have this?' questions per day, but that's fine. He's sticking with it and doing well. I can't wait till they redo his blood tests again in a few months.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

The medical community loves to do studies, they love studies that confirm what they already "know to be true", studies that show other things are called outliers until the tide changes.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    No honestly it really is the worst haha. I had to respond to this one myself:

"In fact, quite apart from its unpleasant side-effects, ketosis is by definition unsustainable, because eventually your body would run out of fat. You needed 2 diets, one to lose weight, then another to keep it off (because the first diet would eventually kill you)."

Ha. Hahaha. We should all be dead.
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options

Follow the money...
  • JessicaLCHF
    Options
    I think the medical community is catching up bit by bit though. I couldn't get my husband to go back on LC no matter how I begged, pleaded, and showed him all the good things about it. It took his Dr. telling him if he wanted to live past his 40's he had to do something and that LC was his best bet. This after 5 years ago same Dr. criticizing the both of us on the Atkins diet we were doing then.

He won't read any of the books himself and I pretty much have to answer a dozen or so, "Can I have this?' questions per day, but that's fine. He's sticking with it and doing well. I can't wait till they redo his blood tests again in a few months.

My husband was like that. Even tho he's a nurse and he wanted me (a diabetic) to cut sugar and carbs, he couldn't wrap his brain around fat being good. He has some heart surgeon friends and they were always telling him half their patients have low fat diets and are "trim". The way I got through to him was watching Fathead in youtube (we have the ability to run it through the tv). My kids even passed through the room and sat down and watched the whole thing without me asking them to. The guy who did Fathead is a comedian so it's comedy too (yet clean), and entertaining. It sparked something in him to research it himself and now he's totally LCHF like me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Follow the money...

Yep, pretty much.
    No honestly it really is the worst haha. I had to respond to this one myself:

"In fact, quite apart from its unpleasant side-effects, ketosis is by definition unsustainable, because eventually your body would run out of fat. You needed 2 diets, one to lose weight, then another to keep it off (because the first diet would eventually kill you)."

Ha. Hahaha. We should all be dead.

:noway:

Because, you can't just...ya know...eat more food...

That one literally made my head hurt. You, deary, have won the internet for the day.
  • socalprincess1
    socalprincess1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

:noway:

Because, you can't just...ya know...eat more food...

That one literally made my head hurt. You, deary, have won the internet for the day.

Oy! I told him to stop making statements about that which he doesn't understand. :wink:
  • Goooosfraba333
    Goooosfraba333 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I remember telling my mother about my interest in keto...oh god was that mistake, lol.
    So basically I get to pretend like I'm not eating low carb and avoid everybody until I at least have physical results I can show off from it...then they can just stuff it.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

Lol you poor thing, you have a man child too? Does he make a pouty face when you tell him "no, you can't have that, it's got too many carbs"?