Study says low carb the way to go for Diabetics!!

Options
2»

Replies

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Not so simple if you are addicted

Yup. From age 18 to about age 34 I drank more soda than water. For 9 or 10 of those years probably 90% of what I drank was Dr Pepper. Its the biggest reason I'd fail at all weight loss efforts. I'd try to start some new weight loss program and obviously cutting out sodas was a part of any reasonable weight loss strategy. I'd cave in and have a soda, and when I did it opened the floodgates, the diet attempt was over. Soda was 100% all or nothing for me.

The way I finally found success was just to cut out sodas and to literally not care about anything else that I ate. I did this around age 34. The first couple weeks were ok, but it got really, really bad. I work from home, which was a godsend, as we could just get all the sodas out of the house, or if anyone else in the house was drinking them, they'd hide them. Like, hide them for real, not "oh they're covered up by something in the kitchen", I'm talking hiding them in the back of a closet under a bunch of stuff so I couldn't find them. There were days where I just stopped functioning and took 2-3 hour naps during the workday and just ignored my job. There was a point where I could no longer avoid the cravings, I think it was about after a month with no soda. Any time it got bad enough, I went to Sonic and ordered a banana split and just ate the whole thing sitting in the parking lot before I did anything else. I didn't know if this was a "sound" strategy or not, but at the time, I didn't care. My idea was to feed my body all the sugar it wanted to redirect the craving and to just make sure none of the sugar came from the sodas that had been a part of every day for me for so long, and then figure out how to deal with the rest of the sugar later.

Somehow, it worked. I then went a full year without sodas before trying to make any other health/lifestyle changes. At some point I was comfortable enough that I'd honestly beaten the soda habit that I was willing to try other new things to improve, eventually landing on keto.

Its now been 4 years since I've had a soda, I think. Even now after 100 pounds lost and having been through struggles to stay on keto and gotten myself back on track after periods of eating poorly, I remain convinced that I cannot have a single soda. I'm sure its not the same as a heroin addiction, luckily sodas and to a lesser extent sugar in general is my only addiction, but I honestly am afraid that if I had one in a moment of weakness, I may not be able to stop myself again.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    You know the cure, but you're rather medicate away the symptoms?

BTW, I didn't make my above post to excuse the behavior that started the conversation. I do wonder if its a legitimate idea that this person has that is just "I'll just take meds so I can do the thing that I like" or if its some kind of active dissonance being created because they can't stop. Suggesting that may be projecting too much of my own experience onto things though.

Hopefully they come around at some point, whatever the actual reason.
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Not so sure the sugar, caffeine and psychological addiction of soda is not as bad as cocaine or heroin addiction. There have been a number of recent papers published.

I applaud your progress.

I have read that glutamine is effective at controlling sugar addiction.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    Ok, not trying to be the odd person out, but where I live (because maybe this is geographic) the prevailing suggestion IS a low-carb diet.

Very glad to hear that.

I had GD with my last pregnancy. I was put on a diabetic diet (like the ADA says to which was about 180g a day spread out evenly over 3 meals and a snack) and still had to take glyburide to keep my glucose numbers normal. If I had known to take my carbs a bit lower, I would have done it. Which I learned after I had the baby and the GD didn't go away right away. I resumed the diabetic diet, but ditched all the starches except for occasional beans and my A1c went down to 5.4. I was too stupid to keep it up once my doc said "you are cured from diabetes." I was a dumb dummy head, yes. Because I wanted my starchy/sugary junk back,and I was in denial (I had ample evidence that my body needed to stay low-carb but I didn't want to fathom giving up my junk for life.) I know better now though.
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Ok, not trying to be the odd person out, but where I live (because maybe this is geographic) the prevailing suggestion IS a low-carb diet.

Very glad to hear that.

I had GD with my last pregnancy. I was put on a diabetic diet (like the ADA says to which was about 180g a day spread out evenly over 3 meals and a snack) and still had to take glyburide to keep my glucose numbers normal. If I had known to take my carbs a bit lower, I would have done it. Which I learned after I had the baby and the GD didn't go away right away. I resumed the diabetic diet, but ditched all the starches except for occasional beans and my A1c went down to 5.4. I was too stupid to keep it up once my doc said "you are cured from diabetes." I was a dumb dummy head, yes. Because I wanted my starchy/sugary junk back,and I was in denial (I had ample evidence that my body needed to stay low-carb but I didn't want to fathom giving up my junk for life.) I know better now though.

With my second pregnancy I had trouble right at the end with my fasting glucose and the dietitian and I played around a lot with my diet and that number was continuing to be problematic so for the last week of my pregnancy I took glyburide right before bed. It was such a strange thing. It was fine during the day, but that morning sugar was not cooperating to manipulating my diet.

After eating low-carb you really start to notice how sluggish those carb-laden meals (pizza, subs, pasta) are. I still enjoy they occasionally but those are foods that mean an after-dinner walk is a must, not an option!!!

I feel a lot better when I substitute more fat for those carbs. Sad that people still think low-carb is odd! Our bodies are so different and are going to feel better or worse depending on what we put into it.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    deoxy4 wrote: »
    Not so simple if you are addicted. I have an acquaintance who has an extreme addiction to Pepsi. From the time he wakes in the morning until the time he goes to sleep he has a Pepsi in his hand. I asked day how many bottles of Pepsi he drinks a day. He told me 2- six packs. That is just short of 500 grams of high fructose corn syrup. He eats one meal a day, diner.

It is hard for me to comprehend. He has had this diet for decades and is in his early 60's. Don't know if he is pre-diabetic but he told me he is not diabetic.

I met him for coffee before a meeting and he ordered a coffee with 10 sugars. Frankly, it made me cringe.

Oh, you know my fiance, do you? Except he drinks the 1.5 liters... Claims a doctor told him to regulate his hypoglycemia THROUGH sugar due to excess platelets and highly acidic blood.

Ha! Do you know how badly I had to stifle the urge to laugh the other day when he was eating some oreos and sat back scratching his head talking about how weird it was, because all of the sudden now he doesn't like "all that sugar" concentrated all at once.

Gee, honey, eating mostly low carb with a little bread/potatoes/rice here or there instead of full on junk has nothing to do with that, does it? LMFAO
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

Some people just don't want to change. My sister refuses to even try to change and she also won't take meds for her diabetes. Meds are bad for you didn't you know? She doesn't want to put things in her body that are bad for her. BLOWS MY MIND!
    And I wish I could get my T1D daughter to lower carbs... Stubborn kid!

Yeah that's sad. It's like everything. The only person you can change is you. Maybe you will end up being an inspiration for her once she's ready.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    My mother has type 1. And it was just recently that her doctor told her she had to eat low carb...... 58 years and now he says that??? Since she cut them out, she doesn't need nearly as much insulin as before although she bottoms out faster.

She's terrified of losing her feet since she can't feel them anymore so I will hand it to her, she's sticking to 50 grams or less and exercises daily. If only she'd stop the beer. Despite that it's Ultra, it's still bad for her.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Seems low carb always was the idea

Odd that it would not be

But I don't know, I have heard some doctors say goofy things

When I had gestational diabetes, the diabetes nurse made sure I had at least 40g of carbs with each meal. I was confused and assumed I would be very low carb.

Example:

Breakfast
    - 2 slices of toast with either egg, cheese, ham or peanut butter, and a piece of fruit or a yoghurt

Snack
    - A piece of fruit and/or a yoghurt and a glass of milk

Lunch
    - A wholegrain sandwich or roll and a piece of fruit

Snack
    - Same as mid morning

Dinner
    - Meat and green vegetables, 2 potatoes or a cup of cooked basmati rice or generous cup of pasta

Supper
    - Crackers with cheese, and a glass of milk
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me thankful for my Dr.

• Maddox84
    Maddox84 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was just Diagnosed with T2D last week and the first thing my doctor told me was to do a low-carb diet. I am glad he is leading me in the right direction!