Workout Check-in: Heavy Metal Edition (aka August)

Options
1234568»

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yeah, thanks for the video. I always thought leg drive was supposed to be down...
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Tried out a new preworkout this morning and got an amazing pump!! Woohoo!!

Squat 5x5x125lbs
    Bench 5x5x95lbs
    Row 5x5x105lbs

Upper body superset 3x8
    Lat pull down
    Single arm dumbbell row
    Single arm dumbbell overhead thrust thing
    Single arm dumbbell bench press
    Arnold press
    Swiss ball pike into push-up

Need all the foooooooooodz
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i got the trainer guy to explain my 'program' to me. guess it's pretty lackadaisical of me to just say 'oh okay' and let go of sl and wander off in a new direction just because someone builds it for me, but meh. i like this one. it's got me interested all over again.

and so. probably not of interest to anyone else, b ut here's how it works.

when you get to work weights, you do three sets of 5 instead of five . the goal for the last set is to make your 5 reps. if you do that, then a) you automatically get to go up in weight on the next time. and b) you can keep on going if you feel as if you have it in you. so basically, work sets are 5, 5, amrap with 5 as the minimum before you advance. increments are 2.5 for upper-body and 5 for squats. i forgot to check on the deadlifts, but i think it's 10 as that's what my jump was last time.

for warmups, you do 5, 5, 3, and 2. first set with the bar, then for the remaining sets you divide the difference between your work weight and the bar, and jump up by that much with the next warmup set. so if i'm planning 65 lb work weight, i'd warm up with 5 at 45, 5 at 50, 3 at 55 and 2 at 60. then up to 65 for the work.

he's got me doing press/bench on alternate days, and squat/deadlift as well. doesn't care how i mix them, but the pattern we seem to already have is press/squat, and deadlift/bench. rows 'or other lat work' can be done as accessory. i'd miss the rows if i didn't do them, so i think i'm going to rotate rows and chinups (or currently negative chinups).
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    Lifted weights last night but by 1 am didn't feel like updating everything. I was going to run today but yeah, went back to sleep even though it's still cool outside. I have to rework my schedule this week cause 5k is on Saturday and I don't want to jog 4.5 on Friday then. Still trying to decide on closer gyms. One is 24 hours but minimal equipment and can't be very loud when doing things like deadlift. Not PF type but still, he said to consider others, though there is rarely more than 5 people there at any given time. But it's also not set up for that kind of lift. I'd have to take the bar from the one power rack or one of 2 benches, which means it's also not set up if I want to try some olympic lifts in the future. Also the better deal is with longer "contracts" so that's a downside too. The other one is more lifting focused, lots of different equipment for such with both cables, plate-loading, couple power cages and mat in front of one for deadlift. It's decent priced but not 24 hour so limited in time frame. Also, didn't appear to have a ton of people there when I checked it out once so far middle of day. Everything else local either is so small it doesn't even have a squat rack or it's super expensive plus not 24 hour. Anyways, on to last night's lifting...

Workout A

high bar squat 3x5 @ 165 - kept to this weight, still a struggle at the very end.

bench press 2x5 and 1x4 @ 95 - struggled and failed on the last set. Think I got my feet better placed using two plates on the floor so I could get my heel down. Still don't get my shoulders to stay cause most of the time when I get the bar off the rack, then it messes up how I'd tried to set up my shoulders and back. So, still a work in progress.

bent-over row 3x5 @ 85 - feeling heavier but still manageable, we'll see how it goes past here.

Accessories:
    seated row 3x8 @ 70 - hadn't done in a while, so heavy but managed.
    incline db bench 3x8 @ 30 - not too bad.

Then it was after midnight already as got out of work a little later last night compared to others so left. Trying to decide if I should lift on Monday or Tuesday. Going to move Friday's jog to Thursday instead of lifting that day. Saturday is the hero 5k, so get to dress up as a super hero. Should be fun.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Saturday is the hero 5k, so get to dress up as a super hero. Should be fun.

:) i had such a life-enhancing conversation on friday with this little redneck woman from [semi-related functional group]. she was mocking me for compulsively practicing squats while we were talking, but then she said she understood the feeling. 'i can't do that - stand around out here on the street and practice my shooting.' turns out she and her husband both own authentic antique weapons and are deeply active members of some creative-anachronism shooting society which ALSO holds their big annual meet with some kind of costume-ball theme.

so she gave me this beautiful soundbite to cherish: "yeah, so i really should get to my sewing because i just realised, it's this coming friday already we're going to shoot." i ended up with this picture of her sewing some scarlett o'hara crinoline thing in one room, while her husband sits in shirtsleeves under a bare lightbulb in the kitchen hand-making huge piles of bullets to go in their guns.

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    No lifting for me this weekend, but I had our last derby bout of the season yesterday, and today my husband and I learned how to rock climb in a climbing gym. We spent 3 hours there and my arms are killing me, but in a good way! I was shaking by the end, but had a great time. I wish I had unlimited time and money. I love derby, I really liked climbing today, and I like lifting, but I can't afford everything, and I don't have time to do everything. :( My gym membership is up for renewal in Oct and I will have to make a decision. The biggest disadvantage to climbing is the need for a partner... My hubby will come with me, but we can't always go together or else we will need a babysitter all the time.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    oh lord, i'm tired. bench was the bad news, but there's good news as well. used the (uber super stupid stiff) grip-growing (rusted) butterfly clips on the (rusted, scratched-up, high-friction) squat bar instead of the nice easy collars that clip shut. so small grip-related bonus work there for the left hand.

squats: 1x5@45, 1x5@50, 1x3@55, 1x2@60, 2x5@65, amrap8@65. i think. definitely amrap anyway, so next time 70. i'd write some more about squats but i'm just too sleepy.

deadlift: oy. 1x5@65, 1x5@75, 1x3@85, 1x2@95. 2x5@105, amrap 5. i juust made the threshold rep, but i had nothing else after that 5th one. at all.

bench: bench just unsatisfying. i did the same kind of set progression up to 65, but then only managed two sets at work weight because shoulders couldn't get right and it just wasn't feeling the right kind of 'hard'. more like poor-form-scary type 'hard'. never did get it sorted, but at least i went back to the bar nd did a few more sets of 5 there.

accessory: random. one negative chin, some kind of number/sets of pendlay rows, 50 and 55 pounds. i'd be really surprised if i made even three sets of this.

and then i was done. i was so done you could stick a toothpick in me and it would come out clean. i think that was actually quite an unnatural number of deadlifts.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    oh i forgot. cheated on my workout by busting a few quick sets of 5 overhead presses as well, here and there. i did either the bar or i believe 50 pounds. it's not press day so ssssh. doens't count.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Lifted last night

Squat 5x5x130lbs - taking my time in working back from that deload
    OHP 5x5x75lbs
    Deadlift 1x5x210lbs

Lower half superset of doom!! 3x8

Bulgarian split squat 18lb kettlebell
    Front squat 55lb barbell
    Hip thrust 145lbs - ouch
    Romanian deadlift 145lbs - double ouch
  • DawnEmbers
    DawnEmbers Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    @canadianlbs - sounds interesting...

Ended up lifting after work since my schedule is different this week. Will run 2 miles in the morning after I make myself get up, though the shorter run and current cooler weather means I don't have to get up as early as before. And tonight was different. Some of the usual people though. The one guy I see every night that I lift was there though I still don't know his lifting program. But he asked to work in on the leg press, so that was the first time anyone has really worked in on any lift at the gym with me.

Workout B

low bar squat 3x5 @ 145 - easy enough, I should increase next time

ohp 3x5 @ 70 - repeat since I failed on one set last time, managed okay this time around

deadlift 1x5 warmup up RDL style @ 135 and 1x5 regular @ 200 - no fail but it was heavy. Need to not wear a shirt I bought a year ago cause it got in the way just a little. Getting closer to that 225 goal.

accessories:
    leg press 3x8 @ 210 - not too bad actually, though hit the safety things on bottom a couple of times, I don't have that much room to move it cause I'm short

good morning 3x12 @ 60 - also easy enough

rdl 3x10 @ 90 - same as before, not much room left in the fixed weight bars for increasing
    hip thrust 3x10 @ 80 - still awkward

Now for some sleeps and probably soon back to tracking food again. Almost out of chocolate cake.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Ya'll know the "kro walks into a bar" story? Well today the bar walked into my foot. Well, dropped, to be technical. I was futzing around trying to unload the bar and two girls were doing weird bouncy romanian deadlifts really close by and they were distracting me and when I finally got that stupid giant 45 bumper off I didn't realize my foot was right there. It hurts to have a shoe on :(

But the workout went well, all things considered. I managed to string a few double unders (as in, get a few in without stopping the rope, not actually one after another) during my warm-up!

Squats 150x5x5 - starting to fold over on the last reps here. Not enough to not go up in weight next workout, but enough to know I'm getting a workout :)
    I did some submax sets of push-ups and ring rows in between these sets. I can do a whole whoopin 4 push-ups in a row. Weeee...

OHP 55x5x5 - my right side did not protest too much, but it was relatively challenging here. Goodbye sweet 75 :(
    Deadlift 135x5, 155x3x5, 165x5 - nothing to write home about. It's harder to keep my shoulders packed than to lift the weight. Ha.

Seated rows (wavy bar) 40x15, 55x12, 70x10, 85x8/6/8
    These felt relatively okay, had better lat engagement when dropping the thumb from my grip.

And that was it since I ran out of time.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    probably soon back to tracking food again. Almost out of chocolate cake.

this made me spray coffee on my keyboard. chocolate - one of the major food groups.

• jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Skipped my Sunday workout (because Fear the Walking Dead was on and I had to choose) and I have been regretting it ever since (I should have fit my lifting in earlier so I wouldn't be forced to choose between weights and zombies). I got back on the iron horse today.

Squats 5x45,55,65 then 5x5x72.5 lbs
    Bench 5x45,45,55 then 5x5x57.5 lbs
    Row 5x45,45 then 5x5x55 lbs

Felt good to be at it again. Excited for that tired/almost sore feeling I get a couple hours after lifting. I CAN FEEL IT WORKING!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,123 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Skipped my Sunday workout (because Fear the Walking Dead was on and I had to choose) and I have been regretting it ever since (I should have fit my lifting in earlier so I wouldn't be forced to choose between weights and zombies). I got back on the iron horse today.

Felt good to be at it again. Excited for that tired/almost sore feeling I get a couple hours after lifting. I CAN FEEL IT WORKING!
    i'm new on this thread and I am curious about what Squats 5x45,55,65 then 5x5x72.5 means. I have seen this on more then this post as far as the extra numbers. I do Stronglifts 5x5 which stands for sets and reps. Does the 45 stand for the weight lifted 5x?

I guess I still do the basic program.except I did add Sumo squats 5x5 95
    Squat 5x5 112, OH I am on a deload 5x5 56, Deadlift 1x5 143, Bench 5x5 82, Barbell row 5x5 89
    I am now increasing only by 1 lb. I was thinking of changing my workout to include more lifts any suggestions.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

i'm new on this thread and I am curious about what Squats 5x45,55,65 then 5x5x72.5 means. I have seen this on more then this post as far as the extra numbers. I do Stronglifts 5x5 which stands for sets and reps. Does the 45 stand for the weight lifted 5x?

Squat 5x5 112, OH I am on a deload 5x5 56, Deadlift 1x5 143, Bench 5x5 82, Barbell row 5x5 89
    I am now increasing only by 1 lb. I was thinking of changing my workout to include more lifts any suggestions.

She's posting her warm-up sets, then working weight is 5 sets of 5 reps.

I'm too new to offer any accessory advice, but there are several here who might have suggestions.

Today was a good day. Like every Tuesday, I felt strong.

Squats 145 - 5x5
    Bench 95 - 5x5 YIPPEE!!! I'm excited to try triple digits next week. The very last rep was hilarious, as it was like slooow motion lifting that bar! I think it was sheer force of will that got me through, hahahaha!
    Row 115 - 5x5 pretty good, kind of heavy.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,123 Member
    Options
    [
    ar9179 wrote: »

Thanks for letting me know. You have great weight amounts. How long have you been lifting.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    [
    ar9179 wrote: »

Thanks for letting me know. You have great weight amounts. How long have you been lifting.

Since mid-February. I've been on a deficit for most of it, then hung out at maintenance for a couple of months this summer. Now, I'm having a hard time with the more restrictive deficit and have probably gained some strength from eating more calories. The scale is all over the place, but measurements are changing for the better. I want to get to my goal by January, but it looks like my dedication is divided. I love progressing with lifting, but I really want that lower scale number, too! Hopefully I'll get it worked out in my head ;)
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Trying something new.
    Monday was:
    Squat 5x45, 5x45, 5x60, 3x70, 2x85, 4x6x95
    Deadlift 5x65, 5x90, 3x115, 2x6x135
    Glute bridge 3x10x135
    Front squat 3x5x60

Tuesday was:
    Bench 5x45,5x45,10x50,10x70,8x75,6x80
    Row 10x65,10x65,8x70,6x75
    Ohp 12x45,12x45,10x45,8x45
    Lat pull down 12,12,10,8
    Push up 3x10
    Bench dip 3x10
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    weird kludge workout that's not sl and not really trainer programme. because i can't make up my infantile mind about that.

anyway.

squats: 1x5@45, 1x5@50, 2x5@55, 1x5@60, 5x5@65. figured out how to get the eye gaze worked out. also figured out my two other cues are hips BACK and once i'm down at or near parallel, then thighs OPEN. it seems to be working, and that last one seems to prevent the buttwink. can't pretend 65 was easy though, sigh.

ohp: meh. just a lot of volume, that's all. lightest warmup set was 20lbs. work set was 50 and i did manage 3x5, but absolutely not with 'two more in the tank' as the trainer always suggests. so i think i'll repeat 50 next time. still, feels like ohp is coming along and my form is coalescing nicely. every time i do it some other micro-aspect of form seems to come into focus and add itself to the general solid picture.

i did some kind of rows stuff for accessories. too tired now to try and remember what exactly.