Low blood sugars while not on insulin

Options
winnie141
winnie141 Posts: 211 Member
I wasn't going to post this but I decided that yes I will because maybe someone else has gone through this and can offer advice. I had a really low blood sugar reading right before I went to bed and it was dropping HARD. I haven't been on insulin for a year now but I have suffered from low sugars my whole life. I ended up eating strawberries, cheese string, and a Greek yogurt. Tested...still dropping...I ended up taking my glucose tablets which I avoid because it spikes my blood sugars fast and makes me nauseous. Didn't get it higher...so I ended up eating a sandwich with hunks of cheese and slices of deli meat. Which put my sugars up around the 7 almost 8 level...ok but then it started dropping again...not low but still going down. By then I figured it would be alright and my nighttime medications took effect and I had to go to sleep. This morning it's been good. The only thing I can think of would be the pizza and McDonald's that I ate that I normally don't eat and my body gets off whack. I have had this happen before but I was right after eating those Swedish berries that I don't normally eat but I gave in and eating a whole package at the movies with my son. If anyone has some advice that would be awesome!

Replies

• winnie141
    Options
    Pizza was eaten in the morning and McDonald's was eaten the day before. Just wanted to clarify as it sounded like I had a food binge
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    jburke141 wrote: »
    I wasn't going to post this but I decided that yes I will because maybe someone else has gone through this and can offer advice. I had a really low blood sugar reading right before I went to bed and it was dropping HARD. I haven't been on insulin for a year now but I have suffered from low sugars my whole life. I ended up eating strawberries, cheese string, and a Greek yogurt. Tested...still dropping...I ended up taking my glucose tablets which I avoid because it spikes my blood sugars fast and makes me nauseous. Didn't get it higher...so I ended up eating a sandwich with hunks of cheese and slices of deli meat. Which put my sugars up around the 7 almost 8 level...ok but then it started dropping again...not low but still going down. By then I figured it would be alright and my nighttime medications took effect and I had to go to sleep. This morning it's been good. The only thing I can think of would be the pizza and McDonald's that I ate that I normally don't eat and my body gets off whack. I have had this happen before but I was right after eating those Swedish berries that I don't normally eat but I gave in and eating a whole package at the movies with my son. If anyone has some advice that would be awesome!

I would suspect the candy at the movies. A quick high is usually followed by a quick low.
    The cheese and yogurt aren't the best choice for fast glucose, too much fat and protein.
    If glucose tabs are a problem keep a can of regular soda in the refrigerator or a sugar candy.

• winnie141
    Options
    Thanks for your reply...I will probably keep a juice box hidden from the kids for times like this!