NSAIDS - pros and cons

MistressPi
MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
So, I have pain in my left arm and shoulder. Doctor says it's tendonitis in rotator cuff. She recommends a week-long course of NSAIDS to reduce the inflammation.

Atkins site (and Dr. Atkins before he died) stated that NSAIDS could interfere with weight loss. Weight Watchers website says that NSAIDS do NOT interfere with weight loss. Which is correct? Based on what research? Anybody know?

I know that contributing factors to inflammation include excess adipose tissue and raised cortisol. Pain raises cortisol. Yoga and meditation reduce cortisol, but pain in my arm and shoulder hinder my ability to do some yoga poses! In fact, this pain hinders my ability to do other exercises as well (like backstroke swimming, certain stretches, certain weight bearing exercises). Seems like a damn Catch-22!

In my experience, NSAIDS (and steroids) are the most effective at quickly reducing inflammation - faster than diet alone; faster than tumeric. Better living through chemistry. ;)

I am inclined to take the NSAIDS (naproxen sodium, at the amount indicated on the label), because pain is making me cranky and interfering with my sleeping patterns! I'd rather be pain free than perhaps two pounds lighter, a week from now.

Your thoughts?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Any interference with weight loss would be temporary. I would take the NSAIDS if/when prescribed.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    MistressPi wrote: »
    I am inclined to take the NSAIDS (naproxen sodium, at the amount indicated on the label), because pain is making me cranky and interfering with my sleeping patterns! I'd rather be pain free than perhaps two pounds lighter, a week from now.

Yep, definitely this for me. I take over the counter stuff when I need it. I know I don't have any issues with overusing any meds or taking them when I don't need it, so its not something I worry about at all. Poor sleep can make so many other mild issues worse that if something is interfering with my sleep it needs to be dealt with.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Take the tablets. You're obviously suffering. They won't be forever, and you need to be functional.

I have had hip bursitis (both sides) for about a month now and had to stop my HIIT, lifting and pretty much every other exercise I like to do. Last week, I had to get cortisone injections into both as the pain was too severe. Yes, it messes up your blood sugar levels and stalled any loss, but I had to do something to stop the inflammatory cycle and hopefully promote the start of healing. It certainly helped with the pain.

YMMV, of course but tendonitis often hangs around for a long time. It takes a while for the inflammation to go in a tendon, and that's when you rest it, etc.

Good luck!

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    If it's acute pain, take NSAIDs. If it's not, I wouldn't. NSAIDs only treat the symptom of pain, they don't remove the cause, leading to a false sense of recovery.

My N=1. When I was hospitalized for autoimmune attack (bloodinflammation that started as a strep) I was treated with Prednisone. I believe it aggravated the already metabolic syndrome, cause after this I rapidly gained weight, despite no obvious changes in diet. At the hospital, which is reckoned as the best in my country, I was told to avoid NSAIDs. Bummer cause I kinda liked them.

Many people have no ill effects using them, but if you have other vulnerabilities, I'd reconsider if it's worth it. You can read more about it in this article from the brits.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Anti-inflammatories-non-steroidal/Pages/Side-effects.aspx

Take care of yourself, be gentle. I know it hurts :( ...currently nursing/rehabbing tendonitis in arm.
  • KittensMaster
    KittensMaster Posts: 748 Member
    Advil is an anti inflammatory not just a pain reliever. It reduces inflammation that causes pain.

I use it on occasion. I was advised to use it as needed. Sometimes I do more than my body wants to!

I have never heard those would interfere with weight loss

I think any interaction would be minimal or inconclusive. If it were it would be a topic of hot debate!

I hope you feel better soon
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    35 years of taking NSAIDs wrecked my health in my view and I have been off them for over 10 years.

I would take them again for a week or two again if needed but not long term in my case.

Over the past 10 month very low carb high fat (VLCHF) has addressed the pain that I once reached for NSAIDs to address.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Thanks, folks. Started naproxen sodium yesterday, twice a day with food. Less pain today. Will continue for a week, see how it goes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I know the ibuprofen family thins blood slightly and can cause stomach upset (up to and including ulcers if taken for long periods), so if those things affect the rest, I don't know how that would play out, but I'd rather deal with some slight weight increase than chronic pain. I have magnet therapy bracelets I wear for the tendinitis in my wrist and neuropathy in my opposite thumb... But my knee pain of late? Ice, and if necessary, ibuprofen, as it's the only functional pain reliever for me.