Ready to reset does this look right??

Options
13»

Replies

• wannabf1t
    wannabf1t Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I will continue to eat at maintenance until April.

I'm at a comfy weight right now. My body likes to stay 123-125 range. I have recompd before because I have pictures from a year ago when I was about the same weight as now and look very different.

I'm not sure what my goal is. I just want to have an overall fit look, some definition in my upper body ( I know there is muscle underneath the fat, maybe just not enough) and be around 18-20% BF.

What did you mean in your last sentence?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Powerlifters usually carry more fat - they are usually above BF% table level for athlete - though they are athletes.

So if goal was powerlifting, then gaining fat in bulk and going above top of a table range wouldn't matter - if you increased your lifts so much that you had great benefit in competition.

If body likes that weight range and it's healthy, then it would probably keep making great strides during recomp.
    Only thing you'd be fighting there is getting so experienced it's harder and harder to make improvements.
    When you plateau on increasing weight on bar - and you still want more - then time to bulk.

You can also focus on certain muscle groups if desired. If you know say the shoulders need some mass, then you start giving focus to them as first lift during your sessions, and you could eat 100-200 extra the next 24 hrs during repair, taking those 100-200 from the 24 hrs prior to workout.
    Just attempting to make your eating level more closely match your actual burning level - since we don't burn the same amount daily.
    Closer to what MFP does - but tweaking it for the actual time after the workout, no matter which day that might fall on.
  • wannabf1t
    Options
    Ok, that makes sense. My goal is not powerlifting. I'm one of those people who can't squat low due to poor ankle/hip mobility. I still squat do it though.

My training has been all over the place. Right now I'm doing PHUL. It was recommended for bulking but I like it. I guess it would be ok to continue.

My workouts are really early in the morning so I need to make sure i really carb up on certain nights. So far my energy level has been really good at the gym except for TOM which is normal for me.
  • heybales
    Options
    I injured myself with ankle mobility I wasn't aware of on squats, achilles that took 9 months to heal.
    Then again I did a fast 10K, half-ironman tri, 2x 100 mile rides, and fast half-marathon during that time - so probably no wonder it took that long to heal, though I kept giving it a month off here and there doing PT for it.

Anyway, suggest don't squat through it (if that's what you mean), your body can twist and move to compensate, and may not like the effects.

If like my multi-twisted and one side broken ankle mobility issues - they ain't getting better.
    So a 1/4 inch board under the heel makes it alright. A 10 lb plate is about that height. Strip of board is easier to use at home though.

Might check it out and see if form improves doing that. May get to parallel.
  • wannabf1t
    Options
    Those are some big accomplishments! Sorry about your injuries. My friend almost convinced me to run a half marathon. I agreed but then backed down, I just feel running is so taxing and the training is intense. You can't do much with your legs in terms of other workouts if you want to run ( at least my friend does that). It doesn't help that were I live is so hilly , makes running super fun-not!

My mobility issues are mostly my body mechanics ( at least that's what I think). I can't go too low like some people do while keeping a feet pointing straight, knees pushed out, and a shoulder width stance.I need to point my toes out and so a wider stance so I can go slightly below parallel. I use 2.5 plates to help me go lower but it really doesn't fix the real problem. It doesn't hurt when I squat, I just think I look funny.

I do lots of foam rolling and stretch my legs it has made a difference. When I started CF the love the ATG concept and I couldn't even do an air squat without falling backwards or lifting my heels. Now it is way better though
  • heybales
    Options
    So knees should follow toes, and unless just focusing on quads - should indeed be pointed slightly out, and slightly more than shoulder width is fine.

For me the width needed and toes/knees pointed out was so much to not have the mobility issues - wasn't worth it for getting a good quad workout in.

But only need to get to parallel to get benefits of hamstring involvement, more doesn't actually add anything to it.

Some body mechanics too just make it necessary to adjust the form to allow the lift. Never get around those.

I'll bet form is better than you think.

Agreed that when you are training for race, it's really hard to get even 1 lifting day for legs in there. I could get one if I dropped proceeding day cardio workout.
    Otherwise gotta wait until winter with no specific cardio training needed and can fit it around lifting focus.

Short hills are great - for hill sprints, but doesn't make running a nice mental release, more lifting type if you sprint up them actually.
  • wannabf1t
    Options
    Heybales, when I was doing CF they drilled into our heads that we needed to go ATG. Right now, I'm just doing what I can while maintaining good form. I still feel it in my glutes and in my hamstrings, never in my quads.

Weekly update:

Week 1 1350cals 122.00 lbs/1930 av. cals burned
    Week 2 1734cals 122.3 / 1977
    Week 3 2030cals 124.3 /1959 (tom)
    Week 4 2044cals 124.5 /1862
    Week 5 2000cals 126.0 / 2046
    Week 6 2000cals 125.0/1872
    Week 7 1965 (slightly more?) 125.4# / 1898 avg. cals burned (tom)

I was shooting for 1900 but really went overboard during the weekend.A lot estimation of calories on Satuday /Sunday so it is not completely accurate. Workouts have been strictly weights, so numbers for the days I trained might be inflated ( although I don't seemed to burn crazy amounts of cals). My weight is fluctuating 125-126.5, but has been mostly staying stable in 125.5. Definitely feel fluffier in my midsection, will try to remember to take measurements tomorrow.

• wannabf1t
    Options
    Week 1 1350cals 122.00 lbs/1930 av. cals burned
    Week 2 1734cals 122.3 / 1977
    Week 3 2030cals 124.3 /1959 (tom)
    Week 4 2044cals 124.5 /1862
    Week 5 2000cals 126.0 / 2046
    Week 6 2000cals 125.0/1872
    Week 7 1965 (slightly more?) 125.4# / 1898 avg. cals burned (tom)

Week 8 1983 cals 124.7lb/ 1918 avg cals burned

My weight was down on my official weigh in day but I still fluctuate 2-2.5lbs on the weekends which I know is completely normal for me. I took my measurements last week and everything was the same but my chest was an inch less/ and my thighs .5 more. I looked at my calendar and the first set of measurements I was 4 days away from TOM so they might not be completely accurate.

I think I'm comfortable eating this amount and I think it is safe to say that I've found maintenance. Does it sound right? I'm not cutting until next year probably in April so I'll report back if there is any major change but in the meantime I'm sticking to this number.
  • heybales
    Options
    Those fluctuations on weekend have me wondering - but if it appears sodium intake is much more than during the week - that could indeed be it.

Because it's about impossible that slightly depleted glucose stores from not truly being at maintenance could refill by that much water weight. But sodium easily could.

Both would take several days to drop back down, if you were in a diet with more depleted stores.

Good plan for bad time of year for extra eating. Or just take a deficit on weeks you can, no stress on the others.
  • wannabf1t
    Options
    I have always been like that , gaining 2lbs on thw weekends is normal to me. I

If it makes any difference, I do eat healthier during the week, still eat simple carbs but in less amounts. Also, I do not eat out at all during the week my main meals are homemade except for protein shakes or a few snacks. Now, Friday and Saturday is a whole nother story! I tend to go all out in terms of eating. I eat whatever and drink as well, talking more than a glass of wine. It can also be I don't hydrate as well as during the week?

I have been saving 100-200 some days during the week because I can easily get to 2500+ weekends. If i go out then I try my best estimating so I can be off either way in my cals. But thinking about I did some cardio mid week which I had completely dropped off. It wasn't much though but maybe that helped get rid of some water.

Yesterday I felt really blah, I didn't eat much because I didn't prepare well. I didnt even work out. But Im already back at it today.

Totally unrelated question is it possible for thyroid numbers to be affected by eating more/less?? Anyway, I 'm glad I took this approach. I can't believe I was feeding myself so little and working out so much! I always knew about eating but I didn't want to believe it!

• beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    wannabf1t wrote: »
    I can't believe I was feeding myself so little and working out so much! I always knew about eating but I didn't want to believe it!

^^^this was me for the past few months at least!!! Scared to eat more as I didn't want to gain any weight!! Guess my body started to rebel against me and stuck me in a plateau for god knows how long!
  • heybales
    Options
    People have caused themselves thyroid issues by undereating - huge stress on hormones for what body is attempting to stop from happening.
  • wannabf1t
    Options
    Well, update just because it's already a habit

Week 9: 2009 avg cals/ 1844 cals burned / 125.7 lbs.
  • wannabf1t
    Options
    Week 10 : Cals 1934/ cals burned 1868 / 125.2 Weight
  • wannabf1t
    Options
    Week 11: This week was TOM and an emotional one so cals eaten 1815/cals burned 1850 / weight 127.7 . I went up quite a bit this week with pms symptons. I also didn't eat as much, but I', trying to eat between 1800-1975 which I feel it is a more accurate TDEE for me than the 2000 because I have dropped high intensity workouts fro CF.
    WEEK 12: my numbers are not as accurate here. a lot of estimating because I was out ouf town for a couple of days and couldn't measure. Also my activity level is not accurate one day because I didn't wear my watch on Friday I was active until 3am so I know I burned a lot. cals 1860ish/ cals burned 1883ish/ weight 126.00. I am down to 125.9 this since Sunday.

I took my measurements last week, chest was the same, natural waist too, underbelly button I was up and inch and up half and inch in the hip area. I'm ok with the hips as I know my butt looks more lifted, I do not like going up an inch under the belly button area with is what I'm trying to reduce.

If I do the match I shouldn't be gaining but the trends seems to be slowly going up. I know that there is water weight from tom so that doesn't count but still. Anyway, I'm trying to hang on until next year.